What would you trade for Smith?

ColdFront_USAF

I'm not sure what's outlandish about asking for opinions on a potential roster move that probably won't happen. Thought it would be a good change of pace instead of the standard "Tyrod sucks" or "Fire our front office after 2 games" posts. But !@#$ me for asking questions on a message board.

No. it's all good.....

The thing that seems to be hard for you and many others to accept is that Dareus, with his crazy contract, serious behavioral issues, and perhaps limited production, is not an asset. In fact, in terms of trade value he is all but worthless.

Smith is often slighted on this board when being discussed but imo he is a good quarterback. What NFL team would be dumb enough to give up a good quarterback for Dareus and inherit that salary, those contract clauses, and his off field antics?

Sad but true.

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they will probably cut him in the offseason. wouldn't be shocked if he is the starter here next year

I disagree. Most smart football coaches will roll with a really good QB for as long as they can. Only on TBD are fans clamoring to get the untested rook into real games.

They make the playoffs every year and Alex is a big part of it. This would get a Billesque move (dumping Flutie to keep RJ) which probably means other teams are too smart to do that.

But us getting Alex as our starting QB next year works for me!

Two questions. Why in the world would KC entertain trading him when the team is likely headed back to the playoffs again after the season? Why would the Bills want a 34 year old QB with so much work to be done to rebuild the roster?

The mind boggles. KC is 2-0. They've scored 69 pts to Oak 71, 2nd in the NFL right now. 2nd to the Patriots in yards. Smith has thrown 5 TDs and 0 picks. He has played well.

They would trade him, why exactly?

A. Smith is a very good QB. If we could get him for a R3 pick next year it would be a steal.

KC is going to want to start their R1 QB next year.

We have nine draft picks for 2018 and ten draft picks for 2019. The Bills are likely to use at least some of those picks to trade for veteran players to fill obvious holes.

The Bills could end up with R1 2018 pick Josh Rosen, Alex Smith, and Nate Peterman at QB next year. That would sure be a nice improvement over what they have now.

What if we don't get the #1 pick though?

If option #1 isn't available then go to option #2. If option #2 isn't available then go to option #3. If option #3 isn't available then go to option #4. Just because you can't get your preferred option that doesn't mean that you can't still get a good qb. There should be nearly half a dozen good qb prospects in this draft. With some of our added picks we should be in a good position to get one of them. Especially with the qb position it's not unusual that your lesser ranked player turns out to be better than your highly ranked player. Let's not make the pursuit of perfect be the enemy of the good.

Alex Smith has been playing well for KC, but they have his replacement already on the roster. What would you give up to obtain him, or would you not bother and plan on drafting one next year?

I would think Dareus and a 2nd day pick could be enough to grab him, but would it be worth it long term?

I think the better plan would be to draft our own franchise QB next year and have him compete with Peterman for the starting job in 2018.

But if Alex Smith was a fallback option he's proved that at minimum he can be the ultimate game manager QB and is everything Taylor isn't in terms of actually being able to throw the ball with precision and accuracy, and even make plays with his legs.

Don't see anybody stupid enough to take Dareus contract though especially Andy Reid and John Dorsey who are among the top HC/GM combos in the league, if not the best right now.

Nothing.

I want the NUMBER ONE QB on Brandon Beane's board.

That's the mission and the goal this year. Everything else is irrelevant.

Want this crap to end once and for all? Get a franchise guy under center here next year and upgrade the line.

This defense is ready now to win. Missing piece is QB and RT.

And LT, RG, WR....

Pound for pound Bills fans must produce more ludicrous hypothetical questions on message boards than any other fan base. Talk about an exercise in futility. FFS.

Edited by simool

Talk about spinning your wheels.

Draft a qb high!

I'd trade White and the Chiefs 1st round pick this year for Patrick Mahomes....

Haha. Time will tell on Mahomes. It if develops and we don't get a franchise qb, oh man that would be awful.

No. it's all good.....

The thing that seems to be hard for you and many others to accept is that Dareus, with his crazy contract, serious behavioral issues, and perhaps limited production, is not an asset. In fact, in terms of trade value he is all but worthless.

Smith is often slighted on this board when being discussed but imo he is a good quarterback. What NFL team would be dumb enough to give up a good quarterback for Dareus and inherit that salary, those contract clauses, and his off field antics?

Sad but true.

A team that isn't one of the worst in the NFL, who hopes Dareus will buy into their "culture."

His contract makes him very untradeable. But don't kid yourself. He will find a new team very quickly if we cut him. He is a very talented football player.

Alex Smith has been playing well for KC, but they have his replacement already on the roster. What would you give up to obtain him, or would you not bother and plan on drafting one next year?

I would think Dareus and a 2nd day pick could be enough to grab him, but would it be worth it long term?

Here's a different spin.

Why would anyone want Dareus?