Sammy watch

dave mcbride

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The board went apoplectic after Sammy's 100 yard game 11 days ago, what's the reaction to his 1 catch 17 yard game?

It's certainly too early to draw any full conclusions but it is sort of a microcosm of what we've seen when he was on the field with us.

One game he looks great, the next he is a virtual non factor.

I will say this though, Goff looks good. It's starting to appear that they may have made a good selection with him after all.

The board went apoplectic after Sammy's 100 yard game 11 days ago, what's the reaction to his 1 catch 17 yard game?

It's certainly too early to draw any full conclusions but it is sort of a microcosm of what we've seen when he was on the field with us.

I will say this though, Goff looks good. It's starting to appear that they may have made a good selection with him after all.

You'd have to think the Cowboys game planned to take him away which could have contributed to Gurley having so much success underneath.

He had 2 targets, what do you suggest he does? He can't be a factor if he isn't targeted.

The point has always been that when he get the targets, like all great WRs, he is productive like a great receiver. The game against SF was proof of that when he had 7 targets. Do you know how many targets receivers like Beckham, Brown, etc. get a game? Beckham had 15 this week alone, thats nearly as much as Sammy has had all season, 17.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

He had 2 targets, what do you suggest he does? He can't be a factor if he isn't targeted.

The point has always been that when he get the targets, like all great WRs, he is productive like a great receiver. The game against SF was proof of that when he had 7 targets. Do you know how many targets receivers like Beckham, Brown, etc. get a game? Beckham had 15 this week this week alone, thats nearly as much as Sammy has had all season, 17.

The better receivers get more targets.

You'd have to think the Cowboys game planned to take him away which could have contributed to Gurley having so much success underneath.

This is always the Sammy line. "He opens things up for the rest of the team and that's why his numbers were bad."

Except good WRs like Jones, Brown, ODB are productive regardless of the defense focusing on stopping them.

I liked Sammy. I miss him in a Bills uniform, especially given the WRs they currently have. But he's not elite. He's good.

Edited by BeginnersMind

The better receivers get more targets.

This is always the Sammy line. He opens things up for the rest of the team and that's why his numbers were bad.

Except good WRs like Jones, Brown, ODB are productive regardless.

I liked Sammy. I miss him in a Bills uniform given the WRs they currently have. But he's not elite. He's good.

I don't understand how this concept is lost upon people, but it certainly is.

I don't understand how this concept is lost upon people, but it certainly is.

It's not a concept lost on anyone. At the end of 2015, he literally got more targets AND produced some of the best numbers in the league for that stretch. But yea, he probably shouldn't have got those targets, cause ya know.... that logic and all.

I really don't feel like rehashing this because people are going to stick to their corners but great receivers produce when they get the targets. Sammy has done just that.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

It's not a concept lost on anyone. At the end of 2015, he literally got more targets AND produced some of the best numbers in the league for that stretch. But yea, he probably shouldn't have got those targets, cause ya know.... that logic and all.

I really don't feel like rehashing this because people are going to stick to their corners but great receivers produce when they get the targets. Sammy has done just that.

So is it a conspiracy that two different teams want to screw up their offenses and not target an elite receiver?

What's the end game on that line of thinking?

From what I've read about the game, and admittedly I haven't watched it, Sammy was shut down by their secondary. He apparently also backed off from a 3rd down catch because he would have gotten hit.

Here's how I see Sammy. The way some Bills fans feel about Tyrod, that he won't throw the ball unless the receiver is open, that's Sammy. He's good at getting open and when he does he'll make the catch. But the QB isn't going to trust him 1 on 1 with the CB because he's never shown an ability to make a physical play for the ball. He isn't anything like Julio Jones or AJ Green. He is more like Percy Harvin with more size and a little less speed.

Just my take on things. I know everyone has their mind made up on this so I don't expect to change anyone's opinion.

Correct--he was 4th in the NFL in total targets during his scorched-earth run in 2015.

So is it a conspiracy that two different teams want to screw up their offenses and not target an elite receiver?

What's the end game on that line of thinking?

Like I said, no one denies Sammy's talent. What is at question is his consistency. Other top end receivers that opposing defenses key in on are able to play at a more consistent level than Sammy. If people choose to believe that Sammy is being slighted or unlucky, or defenses are keying in on him or whatever other reason they have as justification for his lack of targets, that's their prerogative. But at the end of the day, no matter what excuse is given, he has not been able to become a high performing receiver on a consistent basis like a good number of other receivers. Yes, he had a fantastic 9 game stretch. Lights out!!!! Aside from that 9 game stretch, there hasn't been much else to show for on a consistent basis.

With 1 for 17 yesterday, does it really even matter that he's healthy?

Watkins can dictate coverage from the opposing team when he's on the field that creates opportunities for teammates. Is that lost on you? There will be adjustments by opponents with the Rams making corresponding adjustments.

Watkins can dictate coverage from the opposing team when he's on the field that creates opportunities for teammates. Is that lost on you? There will be adjustments by opponents with the Rams making corresponding adjustments.

So why is that other great receivers who actually have been more of a threat than Sammy are consistently able to get production? Opposing teams don't make these adjustments to take them out? Why is it that this reasoning applies for Sammy but not all the other good receivers?

That's where this argument that you pose comes apart.

We are only a quarter way into the season, and there is plenty of time for Sammy to turn around his 850 yards 55 catches for the season pace that he is on right now.

The good WR's in this league are in the 70-90 receptions 1000-1200 yards

The elite WR's are in the 80-100 receptions 1200 to 1450 yards

At some point, the production will have to be on par with the elites to justify the money he was looking for. If he doesn't get those elite numbers then there is virtually very little basis for the money he believes he's worth.