Sammy watch

dave mcbride

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you giving up on him already? Tad premature don't you think? Eric Moulds didn't set the world on fire in his rookie year. It turned out that he was one of the better receivers the Bills have ever had. Writing him off so quickly makes little sense to me.

I'm not, but his production thus far in comparison to the "immature" Watkins at the same point is dwarfed.

Huh? Zay is 22-1/2 years old.

How long did he play At ECU? The point was not how old he is.

You're probably right. Not worth the risk.

Oh if you want some great core talents........it makes sense to take underclassmen because that is where you get guys like Watkins.........who was probably the greatest freshman WR in NCAA history.

But if you draft a 20 year old Watkins into a WR room where the LEADER is a second year vet struggling with his own issues like Bob Woods.........you are just asking for failure.

It's a common thread with most of those guys.......poor handling.

How you handle young players is obviously critical........unless you are team Marrone.......obviously.

Take the handling of Zay Jones.........who was thrust into a starting role when they had no idea if he was ready...........and he's struggled enough to make some wonder if the 2nd and 3rd round picks they used on him will be wasted.

By no means has McDermott shown a midas touch with young players where he should be throwing out quality players that it took the organization years of struggle to acquire.

I'm not, but his production thus far in comparison to the "immature" Watkins at the same point is dwarfed.

I'm not giving up on either player. But Watkins who was a player that cost two first round picks and has been in the league longer has not set the world on fire. In addition, the salary that Watkins believes he should command is another issue factored into one's value.

I thought that the Rams would quickly lock up Watkins with a lucrative contract. Now I don't think so?

Not 19 or 20 year olds.

Sure it was.

By default, but the primary point of emphasis with the current regime is drafting players with four years of college experience vs. RS Sophomores or Juniors.

I'm not giving up on either player. But Watkins who was a player that cost two first round picks and has been in the league longer has not set the world on fire. In addition, the salary that Watkins believes he should command is another issue factored into one's value.

I thought that the Rams would quickly lock up Watkins with a lucrative contract. Now I don't think so?

He's six games into his Rams' career. We'll see.

You mean like Zay Jones whose impact has been close to nil?

Or Tre White whose impact has been close to... I don't know 100?

Was merely pointing out that the guys we drafted were 22+ years old, indicating that they preferred older, theoretically more polished and mature players.

And maybe that changes after they develop a solid core with veteran leaders that aren't about to retire.

Edited by Big C

Or Tre White whose impact has been close to... I don't know 100?

Was merely pointing out that the guys we drafted were 22+ years old, indicating that they preferred older, theoretically more polished and mature players.

And maybe that changes after they develop a solid core with veteran leaders that aren't about to retire.

:thumbsup:

Watkins averaged 80 yards receiving per game at age 22 and scored 9 TD's.

Zay has been healthy and utterly useless at age 22.

As for the Rams not extending Watkins.........they are in a serious cap dilemna......have already given two big second contracts to WR's Woods and Austin......and have a disgruntled great defender in Aaron Donald looking for Von Miller money.

They didn't acquire Watkins knowing for certain they would be able to extend him...........they did it to make their QB look good in order to build him into a confident passer/leader........and give their young HC a chance to establish his "process" by giving him the talent to make it work without having to execute at an exceptionally high level.

if you watch the Rams........they are by no means a well oiled machine...........Goff struggles with long throws.......they waste a lot of plays.......but they do a lot of damage on intermediate routes and with big plays on the ground.

My little job has me sitting out in a pasture that's just under 50 degrees waiting on a calf to nurse. My little job does not allow me a sick day this evening as I have a temperature around a hundred degrees and just 24 hours ago was well above 103. I've had 4 hours of sleep in 44 hours because I've had that much work I must do. I have fantastic plans this weekend and cannot wait to go to a hot air balloon festival and a Haunted Trail and many other things that will take place along the way. I won't earn one penny more most likely by sitting here. I will still feel like **** because I got charged and knocked down by an angry mama cow. I will still have a torn up hand from pulling her calf out of briars when it fell into them. All in all it has been a great day... Make that a great week. and I earned this week what Watkins probably makes in 2 minutes of play. But I love my little job and Watkins can go !@#$ himself.

My little job has me sitting out in a pasture that's just under 50 degrees waiting on a calf to nurse. My little job does not allow me a sick day this evening as I have a temperature around a hundred degrees and just 24 hours ago was well above 103. I've had 4 hours of sleep in 44 hours because I've had that much work I must do. I have fantastic plans this weekend and cannot wait to go to a hot air balloon festival and a Haunted Trail and many other things that will take place along the way. I won't earn one penny more most likely by sitting here. I will still feel like **** because I got charged and knocked down by an angry mama cow. I will still have a torn up hand from pulling her calf out of briars when it fell into them. All in all it has been a great day... Make that a great week. and I earned this week what Watkins probably makes in 2 minutes of play. But I love my little job and Watkins can go !@#$ himself.

You should try Sammy's dad's little job every day........collecting other people's garbage from the side of the road in Fort Myers. :thumbsup:

Don't suppose it just was a 21-22 year old kid angrily responding to twitter trolls.......do ya'? :flirt:

Btw, some perspective........hobby farming is self gratification........."weekend worriers"............it's work like playing golf is work. :beer:

You should try Sammy's dad's little job every day........collecting other people's garbage from the side of the road in Fort Myers. :thumbsup:

Don't suppose it just was a 21-22 year old kid angrily responding to twitter trolls.......do ya'? :flirt:

Btw, some perspective........hobby farming is self gratification........."weekend worriers"............it's work like playing golf is work. :beer:

yeah. This isn't self-gratification because this isn't the hobby Farm but it's really awesome that you voiced and opinion. It's always great when people Express themselves.

And I don't give a **** about Sammy Watkins dad. And I don't give a **** about Sammy Watkins to be honest. I care about folks who were the laundry of the team that I like, and I enjoy being an !@#$ to other !@#$s. So Sammy Watkins has a special place in my heart because as a punk little Thug he should be a hell of a lot more grateful then he is but I don't really care if he meant it or not, he's a feeble minded Punk. Those are my feelings, I Proclaim with joy. Isn't sharing awesome

yeah. This isn't self-gratification because this isn't the hobby Farm but it's really awesome that you voiced and opinion. It's always great when people Express themselves.

And I don't give a **** about Sammy Watkins dad. And I don't give a **** about Sammy Watkins to be honest. I care about folks who were the laundry of the team that I like, and I enjoy being an !@#$ to other !@#$s. So Sammy Watkins has a special place in my heart because as a punk little Thug he should be a hell of a lot more grateful then he is but I don't really care if he meant it or not, he's a feeble minded Punk. Those are my feelings, I Proclaim with joy. Isn't sharing awesome

Nothing wrong with a hobby but as Mike Leach would say...... it's like ham and eggs.

The pig is committed........the chicken is just involved.

If you keep a full-time job as a hedge........you ain't the ham.

The real challenge in farming is being able to handle the risk.........not the work.........that's the satisfying part.

Big Tree road from Orchard Park to Warsaw is lined with hobby farms that don't think they are hobby farms.

Nothing wrong with a hobby but as Mike Leach would say...... it's like ham and eggs.

The pig is committed........the chicken is just involved.

If you keep a full-time job as a hedge........you ain't the ham.

The real challenge in farming is being able to handle the risk.........not the work.........that's the satisfying part.

Big Tree road from Orchard Park to Warsaw is lined with hobby farms that don't think they are hobby farms.

I have a full-time job and that is the hobby. I actually tell people what to do and I'm called boss - I have no idea how I've managed that. However, I make decent money with the farm considering the losses we've taken with the land to the state and recovering from that. It's not a huge operation but it's plenty good

Oh if you want some great core talents........it makes sense to take underclassmen because that is where you get guys like Watkins.........who was probably the greatest freshman WR in NCAA history.

But if you draft a 20 year old Watkins into a WR room where the LEADER is a second year vet struggling with his own issues like Bob Woods.........you are just asking for failure.

It's a common thread with most of those guys.......poor handling.

How you handle young players is obviously critical........unless you are team Marrone.......obviously.

Take the handling of Zay Jones.........who was thrust into a starting role when they had no idea if he was ready...........and he's struggled enough to make some wonder if the 2nd and 3rd round picks they used on him will be wasted.

By no means has McDermott shown a midas touch with young players where he should be throwing out quality players that it took the organization years of struggle to acquire.

What you call handling I call more broadly player development. Good organizations have player development strategies and programs, which include helping young athletes mature into good teammates and members of the community. The Bills have not had this for years, if ever.

Watkins to me sounds like a selfish pea-brain, but he is immensely talented and this roster needs him. Yet this organization lacked a plan to develop him as a PERSON and so they cut bait.

What you call handling I call more broadly player development. Good organizations have player development strategies and programs, which include helping young athletes mature into good teammates and members of the community. The Bills have not had this for years, if ever.

Watkins to me sounds like a selfish pea-brain, but he is immensely talented and this roster needs him. Yet this organization lacked a plan to develop him as a PERSON and so they cut bait.

LOL! Ridiculous. Every team has busts, problem children, etc. Do you blame the Cheaters for Aaron Hernandez killing people?

The real problem is that many of these kids don't view Buffalo as a place where they need to give 110%, figuring they'll ride out their rookie contracts and go to a big market afterwards. Twitter hate likely doesn't help matters but they'll get that, and more, elsewhere. I only wish more of them had the attitude Tre White has.

As for the Rams not extending Watkins.........they are in a serious cap dilemna......have already given two big second contracts to WR's Woods and Austin......and have a disgruntled great defender in Aaron Donald looking for Von Miller money.

They didn't acquire Watkins knowing for certain they would be able to extend him...........they did it to make their QB look good in order to build him into a confident passer/leader........and give their young HC a chance to establish his "process" by giving him the talent to make it work without having to execute at an exceptionally high level.

if you watch the Rams........they are by no means a well oiled machine...........Goff struggles with long throws.......they waste a lot of plays.......but they do a lot of damage on intermediate routes and with big plays on the ground.

and they went with wade who may not want to extend donald as he's not quite the fit for his style of defense. might be smart for them to trade him and use that space in other areas like for trumaine johnson.

On offense ranking their skill position players I would say that Watkins ranks maybe fifth behind Goff, Gurley, Kupp and Woods. Giving up a second round pick and a player indicates to me that they did want to lock him up. But now I'm sure their calculation has dramatically changed.

I never suggested that the Rams are a well oiled machine. But what is apparent to me is that this team has taken a dramatic step forward under the leadership of their new HC and with the major improvement of their young qb who was overwhelmed in his rookie year.

I have never compared Zay Jones to Watkins. You are creating one of your typical patented manufactured arguments to support your exaggerated claims about Watkins. First, two first round picks were invested in Watkins. Was that rich investment worth it? The obvious answer is no. Second, Watkins was a much more expensive player with his expectation of getting a bank vault level of contract. Is the production to cost ratio worth it for Buffalo or even LA? I would right now, no.

You may be giving up on Zay Jones but I am not. It's not unusual for receivers to struggle in their first year. What I can say for sure is that the high expectation that Whaley had for Watkins didn't materialize in Buffalo and the expectations that the Rams had for Watkins isn't materializing in LA.

I have never made the argument of diminishing Watkins's talent. But I understand why McDermott didn't want him on his roster. I'm starting to get the sense that the Rams have a better understanding as to why he wasn't in Buffalo's plans now that they have had an inside view of what he is as a player and as a teammate.

On offense ranking their skill position players I would say that Watkins ranks maybe fifth behind Goff, Gurley, Kupp and Woods. Giving up a second round pick and a player indicates to me that they did want to lock him up. But now I'm sure their calculation has dramatically changed.

I never suggested that the Rams are a well oiled machine. But what is apparent to me is that this team has taken a dramatic step forward under the leadership of their new HC and with the major improvement of their young qb who was overwhelmed in his rookie year.

I have never compared Zay Jones to Watkins. You are creating one of your typical patented manufactured arguments to support your exaggerated claims about Watkins. First, two first round picks were invested in Watkins. Was that rich investment worth it? The obvious answer is no. Second, Watkins was a much more expensive player with his expectation of getting a bank vault level of contract. Is the production to cost ratio worth it for Buffalo or even LA? I would right now, no.

You may be giving up on Zay Jones but I am not. It's not unusual for receivers to struggle in their first year. What I can say for sure is that the high expectation that Whaley had for Watkins didn't materialize in Buffalo and the expectations that the Rams had for Watkins isn't materializing in LA.

I have never made the argument of diminishing Watkins's talent. But I understand why McDermott didn't want him on his roster. I'm starting to get the sense that the Rams have a better understanding as to why he wasn't in Buffalo's plans now that they have had an inside view of what he is as a player and as a teammate.

Good post

your poster always quality, but this is exceptional thank you