Sammy watch

dave mcbride

Which, to me, is one of the reasons the trade was a bad deal. The Bills controlled Sammy's rights for the next four years, meaning he'd be playing for a new contract every year. If effort or toughness are really concerns for Sammy (I disagree that they are but playing devil's advocate), they had four years of prime production before deciding if he was worth the contract some say he's expecting.

It seems like there almost had to be more going on "behind the scenes" with Sammy. Couple that with the injury concerns, and I guess that's why they moved on.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which, to me, is one of the reasons the trade was a bad deal. The Bills controlled Sammy's rights for the next four years, meaning he'd be playing for a new contract every year. If effort or toughness are really concerns for Sammy (I disagree that they are but playing devil's advocate), they had four years of prime production before deciding if he was worth the contract some say he's expecting.

McVay and Goff say thanks McBeane.

His 5th year option salary would have paid him $13.3M for 2018. If they franchised him for 2 years, it would have jumped to $15.9 in 2019 and then $19.1 in 2020. Considering they didn't even want to pay him $13.3M, franchising him would never have happened. And to reduce the 2018 option salary, they'd have wanted to give him a long-term deal. But I'm betting they didn't want to pay him anything over $8-10M/year.

McVay and Goff say thanks McBeane.

Depends on whether the Rams make the playoffs and if he re-signs. If they miss the playoffs and especially if he's just a 1-year rental, was it worth it? They'll still be out their 2018 2nd rounder.

His 5th year option salary would have paid him $13.3M for 2018. If they franchised him for 2 years, it would have jumped to $15.9 in 2019 and then $19.1 in 2020. Considering they didn't even want to pay him $13.3M, franchising him would never have happened. And to reduce the 2018 option salary, they'd have wanted to give him a long-term deal. But I'm betting they didn't want to pay him anything over $8-10M/year.

Depends on whether the Rams make the playoffs and if he re-signs. If they miss the playoffs and especially if he's just a 1-year rental, was it worth it? They'll still be out their 2018 2nd rounder.

Franchise tag is at their option if required.

Gaines is also a free agent at the end of the year, so they traded 1 year deals. Gave up a 2nd , might get a 3rd as compensatory pick and a 6th from us. My guess is that they will sign Watkins long term.

We had a poor outing from our WRs against the Jets, aka, the greatest defense in the history of the NFL.

Please tell me where Zay and Matthews combined rank

Pretty close at 26, if you sum their production. Not bad for a purported rookie and a JAG vs a "elite top 5 WR"...

He is fun to watch though so I get it. Easily one of top 4 or 5 WR s from his draft class. I think that's fair.

It seems like there almost had to be more going on "behind the scenes" with Sammy. Couple that with the injury concerns, and I guess that's why they moved on.

....hard to deny that Sammy "gave it his all" while here....injuries are unfortunately part of the game.....I believe he also played dinged up several times........we'll never know, but maybe passing on the 5th year option pissed him off......but the economics do come into play....the 5th was a 13 mil guarantee in the event of injury.....if he's injured, you get zero return on the 13 mil.....use the tag IF healthy in 2018 is another 14+ mil......at the same time you'd be even more hamstrung as far as cap regarding if or when you pull the plug on Dareus....just seems like there were a helluva lot of factors in the whole equation....

What I meant is that he'll try his hardest to be on the field no matter what this year, because it's a contract year. Whether he refused to play through pain in the past is a matter of conjecture.

There's no playing through pain in concussion protocol so it was still a silly take

Franchise tag is at their option if required.

Yep. But I think we can all agree that it wiill depend on production.

Gaines is also a free agent at the end of the year, so they traded 1 year deals. Gave up a 2nd , might get a 3rd as compensatory pick and a 6th from us. My guess is that they will sign Watkins long term.

True they're both on 1-year deals. But raded players don't count towards the comp pick formula and a 6th rounder is essentially nothing.

There's no playing through pain in concussion protocol so it was still a silly take

I never said there was. I was only saying he'll do everything he can to play as many games as possible this year because it's a contract year.

Yep. But I think we can all agree that it wiill depend on production.

True they're both on 1-year deals. But raded players don't count towards the comp pick formula and a 6th rounder is essentially nothing.

I never said there was. I was only saying he'll do everything he can to play as many games as possible this year because it's a contract year.

You replied to the following about his concussion with the fact that you were just about to post the same:

"Me bets he is playing thru injury and not kitty footing it because of his contract year"

You might not have meant to say that but it's kind of what you said

You replied to the following about his concussion with the fact that you were just about to post the same:

"Me bets he is playing thru injury and not kitty footing it because of his contract year"

You might not have meant to say that but it's kind of what you said

I realized my mistake later.

Yes he's playing.

Tony Alexander

Twitter tonyalexander

Did Sammy Watkins miss the @RamsNFL bus to the stadium today? #DallasCowboys #LARams #FantasyFootball

There's a reason he's not here. 2 for 17 today. I said last week, he'd have a down week this week after his big game.