M!@#$s in virtual reality

Just Jack

Was looking up some EZPass info and came across this video of the Masspike toll plaza demo since they've switched over to all electronic toll collection. Even the person that created this video knows that some people can't drive in Massachusetts.

Was looking up some EZPass info and came across this video of the Masspike toll plaza demo since they've switched over to all electronic toll collection. Even the person that created this video knows that some people can't drive in Massachusetts.

So you can't use the mass pike without ezpass? Interesting

No. They take hi res photos of every car's plates. If you have eZPass, your tag gets read and its a normal transaction. If you don't have it, they send you a bill. Illinois does something similar. Ireland does too for their privately owned "super" highways.

What this vid doesn't show is the racks of cameras and scanners that are in a canopy over the roadway.

A pet peeve: States that put the eZPass only lanes on the far right. That's the slow side of the road. It's counterintuitive to put the fastest travelers at a toll booth in the slowest side of the road.

No. They take hi res photos of every car's plates. If you have eZPass, your tag gets read and its a normal transaction. If you don't have it, they send you a bill. Illinois does something similar. Ireland does too for their privately owned "super" highways.

What this vid doesn't show is the racks of cameras and scanners that are in a canopy over the roadway.

A pet peeve: States that put the eZPass only lanes on the far right. That's the slow side of the road. It's counterintuitive to put the fastest travelers at a toll booth in the slowest side of the road.

Say you have a non-fixed EZPass transponder that you forgot to put in your car and you pass through a toll plaza. Will they charge you more because they had to read your license plate or will they read the license plate and look-up the EZPass account and bill it?

Say you have a non-fixed EZPass transponder that you forgot to put in your car and you pass through a toll plaza. Will they charge you more because they had to read your license plate or will they read the license plate and look-up the EZPass account and bill it?

Not sure, really. Probably though. They incur costs in snail mailing you your bill. I have eZPass on all my cars, and have since they first became available. I guess Mass and others are getting fed up with the luddites who haven't bought into the system. Toll booths are so 20th Century.

Not sure, really. Probably though. They incur costs in snail mailing you your bill. I have eZPass on all my cars, and have since they first became available. I guess Mass and others are getting fed up with the luddites who haven't bought into the system. Toll booths are so 20th Century.

I only ask because my new car has a rain sensor on the windshield that can prevent the transponder from being read from inside the car. They say to get a license plate transponder or I could just hold the inside transponder out the window, but if they can just scan my LP and charge my account, that would be easiest.

I only ask because my new car has a rain sensor on the windshield that can prevent the transponder from being read from inside the car. They say to get a license plate transponder or I could just hold the inside transponder out the window, but if they can just scan my LP and charge my account, that would be easiest.

Got it. They will scan your LP. Just don't know if it'll cost you more, or how much more than with a transponder.

I have the same issue with my new SUV. I got an outside one that mounts (unsecured) on the LP holder. It could easily be swiped. But then again, should that happen, I'd just call up and report it as stolen.

I got rain sensors on my vehicles and EZ-Pass and I-Pass works fine from inside.

Mount the transponder a little to the side.

Now my neighbor on his Chevy says he needs a plate transponder... Always has one there, always buys Chevrolets.

They have been using open road tolling for a decade in Illinois.

Land Rovers adopted the Ford system (or vice-versa) of heated windshields. They have thousands of very thin wires embedded in the glass. Clears the fogged window up in a flash, but blocks the transponder in most cases. Though the manual says it might work below the mirror - but that might also interfere with the other electronics that are located there.

I just put one on the LP. Simple solution for a simpleton like me.

Last time I was on the Mass Pike near Worcester in August there was about a five mile heavy (stop and go) delay in each direction approaching the overhead readers. People were treating it like a toll booth. It really effed up the flow.

And have you noticed all of the drivers who now alter their rear plates -- bent, dented, etched, Vaseline smeared -- so they don't get photographed properly?

Land Rovers adopted the Ford system (or vice-versa) of heated windshields. They have thousands of very thin wires embedded in the glass. Clears the fogged window up in a flash, but blocks the transponder in most cases. Though the manual says it might work below the mirror - but that might also interfere with the other electronics that are located there.

I just put one on the LP. Simple solution for a simpleton like me.

Thanks!

Must be my neighbor's issue and reason for plate mount on his Chevys too?

Never owned a Ford or GM... But had an Isuzu which was GM... But ancient back from 1998-2006. Not all that fancy schit in windshield. My first transponder was in 2004.