LeSean McCoy: Still Motivated by "Staying Relevant"

26CornerBlitz

@SalSports

LeSean McCoy used to want to be respected by older RBs. Now, he's motivated by staying relevant against young ones: http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/29-lesean-mccoy-still-motivated-staying-relevant-top-charts

Chris Johnson. Thomas Jones. Steven Jackson. Adrian Peterson. Maurice Jones-Drew.

That's what the rushing leaderboard looked like the year a 21-year-old LeSean McCoy broken into the NFL in 2009. For McCoy, back then, those players were who he looked up to and was motivated to be like, both in respect they garnered as players, and where they were on the yearly stat sheet.

He noticed them. And he wanted them to notice him.

"I remember as a younger guy, I looked up to a lot of the older guys and once I gained their respect, and I talked to them, you know, I respected their game," McCoy said this week while reflecting upon his first eight years.

“Now, it’s like flipped,” he recognizes. “Now I’m the older guy and the young guys look up to me and respect my game and things like that. So it’s all motivation. I guess the motivation is staying relevant and staying at the top of the charts, cause that’s what we all strive to do, be the best individually and help our team out. So, it’s all about competing.”