The Jets interception play.

f0neguy

Can anyone explain the E.Wood penalty following the 1st quarter interception? We were in a bar and couldn't hear anything but it appeared that the Jets player was still "live" as he had been knocked down by his own teammate. We thought it looked like a smart play and should have been Buffalo's ball again. Did we miss something? :huh:

Can anyone explain the E.Wood penalty following the 1st quarter interception? We were in a bar and couldn't hear anything but it appeared that the Jets player was still "live" as he had been knocked down by his own teammate. We thought it looked like a smart play and should have been Buffalo's ball again. Did we miss something? :huh:

They orginally made the call on Wood. But then refs got together deemed that the runner wasnt down by contact then called the penalty on D Lee for hitting Wood in retaliation to thr smart clean hit

It should not have been Buffalo ball because when Wood made contact with the defender the defender still had "possession" and his knee was down so he is considered down by contact at that point - even though in the process of the tackle he then fumbled. It was not, however, called a foul on Wood because they acknowledged that the play was still "live" at the point he made contact. The penalty was eventually called on a Jet for a late hit.

Edited by GunnerBill

Let's talk about the play where Jets CB Burris intercepted the ball in the end zone.

Burris ran the ball out of the end zone, a Jets play got pushed into Burris and knocked him down. Is he truly down and the play is over since a Bills player didn't actually knock him down/tackle him??

Obviously E. Wood didn't think he was legally down because he tackled him and stripped the ball from him.

My take is that Burris was not legally down because the Bills did not tackle him, and thus, Wood was justified in tackling him. In that case, the Bills recover the fumble and return the ball to their offense on the very next play.

Your take??

If a Bill did not touch him, then he is not down by contact. However, if the whistle was blown, then he is ruled down and the play is over.

So yes, Eric Wood made a heads up play in tackling him. I don't know if a whistle was blown or not. I was half distracted by my kid at the time.

Edit: I thought it was a fumble at first, but on replay, Burris' knee was on the ground, so the moment Wood hit him, he was down.

Edited by seregil42

If it were last season under Rex the Bills players would have been jogging off the field without realizing Burris wasn't down.

That play was one of the things I loved yesterday: game awareness. The Bills players actually realized he might have been down. Also, am I correct if there was no whistle and no contact, you're knee being down doesn't make you down?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I'll have to look at the play again, but I thought that Burris was in the process of getting up.

The point is that the refs acted like Burris was down because he was knocked down when a Bill pushed a Jet teammate into him. By that action alone, Burris was not legally down.

I agree that if Wood tackled Burris while his knee was on the ground then he was down and the Jets retain the ball.

I'll have to look at the play again, but I thought that Burris was in the process of getting up.

The point is that the refs acted like Burris was down because he was knocked down when a Bill pushed a Jet teammate into him. By that action alone, Burris was not legally down.

I agree that if Wood tackled Burris while his knee was on the ground then he was down and the Jets retain the ball.

But the ball was loose by that point,

That's exactly what happened. Correct call.

His knee was still down when Wood touched him. That's what ended the play, and he touched him before he stripped it.

While i believe this to be true. But it kinda looked like Burris was trying to stand as he was hit by Wood. Did anyone get a good look to see if his knee came off the ground before Eric Wood touched and stripped him?