No Mention of St. Doug's Debut in Jax?

H2o

Marrone had EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis, and Jeff Tuel at QB and still managed the #2 rushing attack with old man Fred and CJ Spiller, a bad OL, and no #1 WR.

You're incorrect.

2011 (Gailey) - #8 rushing offense DVOA

2012 (Gailey) - #9 rushing offense DVOA

2013 (Marrone) - #17 rushing offense DVOA

2014 (Marrone) - #28 rushing offense DVOA

2015 (Ryan) - #2 rushing offense DVOA

2016 (Ryan) - #1 rushing offense DVOA

Spare me the quarterback excuse. He had a serviceable quarterback in 2014 and the rushing offense was among the absolute worst in the NFL.

I'm not incorrect - Marrone is a dime-a-dozen NFL coach at best.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spare me the quarterback excuse. He had a serviceable quarterback in 2014 and the rushing offense was among the absolute worst in the NFL.

Who were his running backs in 2014?

Your argument isn't bad. Boobie Dixon and Bryce Brown playing like crap makes Doug Marrone a bad coach? Lol.

Believe whatever you want to believe but I watched much of the game, and totally agree that Marrone is a decent HC and will get more out of that team than you think. The Jags looked good, especially on defense where their pass rushers literally overwhelmed Savage on just about pass attempt, and on offense they made Bortles look respectable, which was probably quite a feat. Oh, yeah, they went into the Texans' house and dominated them ... and the Texans aren't the Jests.

Stay tuned.

Nickel a dozen is more like it.

Jaguars are finally playing up to their talent. I'm sure you've heard or read some of the NFL observers say Jaguars have talent but haven't won. Back in spring I did this analysis of draft performance and it does indeed show that Jaguars' drafts have produced productive players:

https://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/193447-nfl-draft-performance-analysis-for-2012-2016/

Jaguars have statistically been the 8th best drafting team in the past 4 years.

Marrone has finally played up to the strength of this team and minimized its weaknesses - like the QB. He's made them accountable and they are finally playing UP TO THEIR TALENT.

No there will be none because Doug had a good day. The posters only post when someone is losing or playing very poorly. Then they disappear.

The flip side of that coin is when posters make threads about former Bills players and tout their successes away from Buffalo. They're told to shut up, it doesn't matter because they're no longer playing in Buffalo. It cuts both ways.

Frankly, I hope Marrone gets fired after this season because he's a turd. But that's JMHO.

If yesterday wasn't a mirage the Jags are definitely going to be a dark horse team this year with that defense.

And they play the Titans at home this week who are the only real threat to them in that division.

I still think it's kind of weird that Marrone has had such good defenses in the NFL when he was supposed to be an offensive guru but his coaching style seems to work regardless.

If yesterday wasn't a mirage the Jags are definitely going to be a dark horse team this year with that defense.

And they play the Titans at home this week who are the only real threat to them in that division.

I still think it's kind of weird that Marrone has had such good defenses in the NFL when he was supposed to be an offensive guru but his coaching style seems to work regardless.

I think another person to see here is Tom Coughlin. I think he and Doug are actually a good match for one another. I also think that Coughlin has more input than just sitting in the FO being he is a two time SB Champion HC. Not taking anything away from Doug, but it must be nice to have someone to lean on like Coughlin.

The most important thing a coach does is hire staff. Marrone has a record of hiring good defensive staff (Pettine, Schwartz).

Jags had the 12th best defense a year ago. They added beast Calais Campbell (who had four sacks yesterday), along with CB AJ Bouye. CB Jalin Ramsey is a stud, as is Myles Jack. Poz is still there doing his thing. They have excellent personnel on that defense.

Jags had the 12th best defense a year ago. They added beast Calais Campbell (who had four sacks yesterday), along with CB AJ Bouye. CB Jalin Ramsey is a stud, as is Myles Jack. Poz is still there doing his thing. They have excellent personnel on that defense.

Yes they do. I've been saying that for a while. Houston and TN have very good defensive personnel too, so it'll be an interesting race. That division is there for the taking.

The Jags had a good game today. They actually dominated the Texans with good defense and the ground game.

www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=400951580

I am still bearish on the Jags and have a hard time seeing them win more than 6 games and losing Robinson for the season isn't going to help them. I don't know how dominant the ground game was, YPC was pretty low. I just think Houston has been grossly over rated coming into the year, the offense is always going to be terrible with Savage at the helm and the D is good, but not nearly as good as its propped up to be. JJ Watt is insanely good we all know, but his mystique tends to over value the rest of the defense. Its definitely a good unit, but its not like one of those special units that can carry a bad offense.

I do think Watson gives them a better chance to win. Even though I am still skeptical on him becoming a franchise QB, there is no denying he has a ton of upside and should easily be a better QB than Tom Savage has been. Without better QB play, Houston is going to have a long year IMO.

I am still bearish on the Jags and have a hard time seeing them win more than 6 games and losing Robinson for the season isn't going to help them. I don't know how dominant the ground game was, YPC was pretty low. I just think Houston has been grossly over rated coming into the year, the offense is always going to be terrible with Savage at the helm and the D is good, but not nearly as good as its propped up to be. JJ Watt is insanely good we all know, but his mystique tends to over value the rest of the defense. Its definitely a good unit, but its not like one of those special units that can carry a bad offense.

I do think Watson gives them a better chance to win. Even though I am still skeptical on him becoming a franchise QB, there is no denying he has a ton of upside and should easily be a better QB than Tom Savage has been. Without better QB play, Houston is going to have a long year IMO.

What did you consider Houston's defense last year?

What did you consider Houston's defense last year?

I said they have a good unit, but its not one of those rare units like the 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, 2014 Broncos, etc. Its not a knock on the D per se, but I do feel they get over valued in terms of how tough or good Houston as a team will be because the offense is just that much of a liability. If there was ever a team that should have brought in Kap its Houston. He is way better than Savage, and Watson could have sat more this year. And they could have really started to dial in the type of Offense they want to run for Watson having Kap out there because they are similar style QB's.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I said they have a good unit, but its not one of those rare units like the 85 Bears, 2000 Ravens, 2014 Broncos, etc. Its not a knock on the D per se, but I do feel they get over valued in terms of how tough or good Houston as a team will be because the offense is just that much of a liability. If there was ever a team that should have brought in Kap its Houston. He is way better than Savage, and Watson could have sat more this year. And they could have really started to dial in the type of Offense they want to run for Watson having Kap out there because they are similar style QB's.

Watson and Kaep are not similar style QB's.

Their defense, sans JJ Watt, carried the Brocketship to the playoffs last year. I think they've proven themselves to be a defense able to carry a bad offense. Because, they already did that without their best player.

Edited by jmc12290