Grateful Dead Movie on WXXI right now

BRH

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WXXI in Rochester is showing the Dead Movie right now -- and advertising Dick's Picks Vol. 34 from the War Memorial in November 1977!  :devil:

261791[/snapback]

Beautiful. I have DP's #1-22, and I love them from 1974 and on.

They were just a bunch of junkies and only junkies would want to hear their music

261956[/snapback]

Its great to have opinions, but do you really have this much pent up hate for one of the greaest most documeted rock bands ever.

The Dead rocked. Loved seeing them play.

Its great to have opinions, but do you really have this much pent up hate for one of the greaest most documeted rock bands ever.

The Dead rocked. Loved seeing them play.

261959[/snapback]

"What a long strange trip it's been..."

Wow, man...that was really cosmic....And deep too.

The band sang about drugs to people who were high to get cheap applause.

And musically they were pure GARBAGE

LMAO !!!

You just have hatred for something you don't like personally. Nobody ever said you have to like them.

Everyones entitled to an opinion, but millions of people definitly feel quite differently about Grateful Dead and their influence.

"once in awhile you can get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right:"

Peace

I have the Winterland Closing on DVD. The intermission interviews are good. I just saw Bobby in Vegas with Ratdog @ House of Blues. Great show and still jams! Some very excellent musicianship goin on.

It too bad all the corporate rock today s uc k s ba l l s and basically makes me want to puke.

While I won't be as negative as the other poster was, I do have to agree, for the most part they were very overrated. The same thing with Phish.

There have been many bands who were far superior to the Dead that came from the same era. Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath just to name a few.

Those bands were fantastic too, but they are all from the UK. British music was awesome in the 60's. On a different level than GD.

The Dead however were at the root of American Blues/Psycedelic music where it just took off and all they wanted to do was play. It wasn't for the money. The are incredible when you think about it in regards to they never rehersed and it was all improv - every show!

Those bands were fantastic too, but they are all from the UK. British music was awesome in the 60's. On a different level than GD.

The Dead however were at the root of American Blues/Psycedelic music where it just took off and all they wanted to do was play. It wasn't for the money. The are incredible when you think about it in regards to they never rehersed and it was all improv - every show!

262035[/snapback]

Well that's the thing, who wants to go hear an improv every night? I don't want to go expecting to hear "Truckin" and then have them play 15 seconds of it and then Jerry goes off on his own for about 20 minutes. I want to hear the songs I came to hear and not 2 hours worth of extended solos.

Personally I think Pink Floyd is the best band from that era. Musically, visually, and overall content is far superior.

Well that's the thing, who wants to go hear an improv every night?  I don't want to go expecting to hear "Truckin" and then have them play 15 seconds of it and then Jerry goes off on his own for about 20 minutes.  I want to hear the songs I came to hear and not 2 hours worth of extended solos.

262036[/snapback]

To each his own, man. There's a lot more to the Dead than "Truckin'," and personally, I'd rather the people who come expecting to hear "Truckin'" and "Casey Jones" (because those are the only songs they've heard) just stay home instead.

Personally I think Pink Floyd is the best band from that era. Musically, visually, and overall content is far superior.

Are you saying that Floyd never did extended solos? B-)

To each his own, man.  There's a lot more to the Dead than "Truckin'," and personally, I'd rather the people who come expecting to hear "Truckin'" and "Casey Jones" (because those are the only songs they've heard) just stay home instead. 

Are you saying that Floyd never did extended solos?  B-)

262400[/snapback]

Of course Gilmour did extended solos. But not nearly to the extent that the Dead would. I like guitar solos and drums solos, but not a whole show filled with them.

While I won't be as negative as the other poster was, I do have to agree, for the most part they were very overrated.  The same thing with Phish. 

There have been many bands who were far superior to the Dead that came from the same era.  Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath just to name a few.

262032[/snapback]

While these bands you list are all bands that I love, you are simply making yourself look ignorant by mentioning "far superior" , etc. when you compare apples to oranges. None of those bands did "collective" improvisation, which is what the Dead and Phish both did. Contrary to beliefs of many, the "jams" are not long guitar solos. They are collective interaction and improvisations by the whole group as a unit. Most ears do not even realize that but at the same time, cannot be blamed for not noticing. Now whether you like it or not is not relevant here. In the Music world, there are many highly regarded artists across ALL genres ( including Rock, Jazz, Country, Folk, Bluegrass, Funk ) that recognize(d) these bands (GD and Phish) for not only their talent and creativity, but their uniqueness and ability to be highly successful doing everything in a non-pop underground sort of manner.

I'll add that in the case of Phish, if you break it down to the level of individual players (an area where maybe there CAN be some comparison), there isn't an abundance of players in the world at each position that are more adept players. (like them or not)

While these bands you list are all bands that I love, you are simply making yourself look ignorant  by mentioning "far superior" , etc. when you compare apples to oranges. None of those bands did "collective" improvisation, which is what the Dead and Phish both did. Contrary to beliefs of many, the "jams" are not long guitar solos. They are collective interaction and improvisations by the whole group as a unit. Most ears do not even realize that but at the same time, cannot be blamed for not noticing. Now whether you like it or not is not relevant here. In the Music world, there are many highly regarded artists across ALL genres ( including Rock, Jazz, Country, Folk, Bluegrass, Funk ) that recognize(d) these bands (GD and Phish) for not only their talent and creativity, but their uniqueness and ability to be highly successful doing everything in a non-pop underground sort of manner.

I'll add that in the case of Phish, if you break it down to the level of individual players (an area where maybe there CAN be some comparison), there isn't an abundance of players in the world at each position that are more adept players. (like them or not)

262693[/snapback]

Well let's compare here for a second.

Musically they are nowhere near as good as any of the bands I mentioned. I've heard bands on blues night at the local bar that I think play as good as the Greatful Dead did. That's not a knock on the Dead, it's just that their style of music was so simplistic that it didn't take a whole lot of skill to play it. Now I don't mean that I can pick up a guitar and play it, but anyone with a general skill on guitar or bass or drums could play their material.

Visually they don't compare either. When I go to a show I don't just want to watch the band stand there and play their instruments. I want to be entertained. Bands like Pink Floyd were musically stunning and added great visuals to make it spectacular. The Dead does compare to Led Zeppelin though in this category. Zeppelin was never much for theatrics.

Just because a band creates a certain genre doesn't make them great. The Sex Pistols brought punk to the mainstream and let's be honest, they couldn't play music to save their lives.

I can appreciate what they did for music, but I think artists like Ben Harper appeal to me much more than they do.

Well let's compare here for a second.

Musically they are nowhere near as good as any of the bands I mentioned.  I've heard bands on blues night at the local bar that I think play as good as the Greatful Dead did.  That's not a knock on the Dead, it's just that their style of music was so simplistic that it didn't take a whole lot of skill to play it.  Now I don't mean that I can pick up a guitar and play it, but anyone with a general skill on guitar or bass or drums could play their material.

262719[/snapback]

This is simply not true (musically speaking), especially with phish. Not one of the bands you mentioned (which I love btw) ever incorporated ANY elements of Jazz into their arrangements. Jazz is by far the most complex form of musical understanding and performing that currently exists (involving both improvisation and technical skill). Classical would be a close second (involving technical skill without improvisation). Phish used many jazz elements in both their song structures and "jams". I'll remind you again also , I absolutley love Zep, Floyd , and Sabbath.

As far as what YOU like, that is personal preference and nobody can argue with that.

Well that's the thing, who wants to go hear an improv every night?  I don't want to go expecting to hear "Truckin" and then have them play 15 seconds of it and then Jerry goes off on his own for about 20 minutes.  I want to hear the songs I came to hear and not 2 hours worth of extended solos.

Personally I think Pink Floyd is the best band from that era.  Musically, visually, and overall content is far superior.

262036[/snapback]

How can you like Pink Floyd and hate the Dead???? Floyd went of on trippy tangents too

Personally I think Pink Floyd is the best band from that era.  Musically, visually, and overall content is far superior.

262036[/snapback]

Have you listened to any of their music post-Syd & pre-Dark Side like Echoes?