Pyramid Scams

Chiming in here...

These companies infuriate me. While I have a tough time calling them a scam, they do an incredible job of painting a picture of success that is unobtainable for a vast, vast majority of their "employees", and for those that defy all the odds and reach the top of the organization chart, the payoff is unfulfilling.

First, they describe the opportunity to be a business owner, an entrepreneur, etc. What a crock of bologna. You own nothing. You are essentially a 100% commission, no expenses paid (don't fall for the "you can write off X" pitch, tax writeoffs are not the same as expense reimbursement) , direct sales rep that they are classifying as a contractor. All the risk of starting a business is carried by the MLMer, but the rewards of entrepreneurship are never fulfilled. If you are working for someone else is any sales capacity, they need to have some skin in the game, usually through a combination of paid training, base salary and expense reimbursement.

Second, the need to recruit others to succeed only leads to more saturation & competition. If the product was so great, why do you need to recruit others? Their are e-commerce tools that allow you to sell more product with less human resources needed than ever before. The last thing I want to do when building a sales territory would be to get 20 competitors from within my sphere of influence to start working the same people as me.

Finally, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. My wife's close friend is very high up an org. chart within a MLM company. I would bet they are higher than 95% of people that ever get involved. It is their primary income, and they are quite good at it, but make no mistake, they don't have a new loaded Audi in the driveway and a rustic retreat in Lake Placid. Their title screams ~$200K, but I'd be shocked if they made more than $60K at ~30. It's not like things get easier. The hustle is recruit more reps and drive more sales never stops. I wonder how much cash they would make if they took a traditional sales career path, where many of the benefits of MLM (setting own schedule, building a territory within your natural market, etc.) can play out.

The reality is this: there are no shortage of MLMs, pyramid schemes, financial agencies, real estate companies and other business models that would gladly ask you to work on 100% commission, make you cover all expenses, sell to your natural market and commit as little as humanly possible for you to succeed in the role. If you beat the odds and get past the 90%+ churn rates that are common in each of these professions, you may not find as many piles of cash at the top as you expected. Watch out for these groups, and tell them to !@#$ off.

The MLMers are bad, but the worst offender is still CYDCOR, and all their "independently owned offices". Lots of horror stories out there.

I've prosecuted 3 and defended 2 from the numbers side of things.

If a product is being distributed then it's not quite a pyramid, this is their legal out.

Best to start at the top of these things and get all your friends into it, a church membership list of 2,000 people is golden to get one going...

This is what started huge problems at my church. Granted the whole church is about 150 adults. One guy got in, recruited a few people from church. Then a bunch of fighting about who got to recruit who else in the church. Sad. Most of them claim to be Christian organizations to get gullible evangelicals. But it's just Joel Osteen, TV Preacher "God wants you to be rich" bull ****.

Joe, I have some Meadcoins that are worth $5,000 each. I need money. So i would be willing to sell them to you for a hundred each.

Man, I would. But I'm already $10,000 deep with a great protien shake company called Ferg-talibism.

Do I need a special license and training to sell them. How much do you charge for that training?

Well, the 12 disc seminar series, and accompanying 17 DVD set are optional. You could try running your own business without it. But this training kit, led by our CEO, and sales guru Dr. Mead, will tell you everything you need to know about how to become a Director's Choice Triple Falcon Club Member. They're only $1,299.99. You'll make it back in no time.

Well, the 12 disc seminar series, and accompanying 17 DVD set are optional. You could try running your own business without it. But this training kit, led by our CEO, and sales guru Dr. Mead, will tell you everything you need to know about how to become a Director's Choice Triple Falcon Club Member. They're only $1,299.99. You'll make it back in no time.

But wait Joe, you forgot the special offer if he orders in the next 30 minutes. They will receive 10 Mead Coins! That's $50,000 worth if you were to buy them on the Mead Coin Exchange Network at today's prices!

The best pyramids are envelopes of cash handed up with no product. A local major accounting firm's had a good one with partner's wives moving a boatload of cash each month.

Sorry your church had that happen Real B-Joe, I'm a single man who can't professionally job the membership list for any sales or commission purposes so I'm kind of an outcast from them, my motives for going never involve commerce, I'm happy with that....

As your agent, I will collect your $5,000,000 in royalties and put it into tax shelters that help you reduce tax.

I will pay you $10,000 a month for 5 years and then we will re-negotiate our contract.

I have 40 clients like you, I know what I'm doing.

(repeat and rinse...)