Pyramid Scams

I mentioned this in the PPP thread, but wanted everyone's opinion. How do you feel about Multi Level Marketing? I've always been strongly against them.

First off, if you have a rehearsed speech for how you're totally not a pyramid scam, I have news for you, it's a pyramid scam. You're not gonna be retired by the age of 35 or whatever the person who recruited you told you. This miracle snake oil, is just overpriced protein shakes that you're convinced to buy in bulk that you'll never sell.

They brag all the time. "I'm leading the successful life! Not only do I own my own buisness, I just got promoted to Double Secret Bronze Eagle." How tf you get promoted at a company you claim to own?

But my biggest complaint is the cult like mindset people have. The lectures, and magazines they read and listen to, all by the founder of the company, who the literally worship. And anybody who tries warning them they're wasting their money is looked at as a negative influence in their life. They become brainwashed over this this and turn into zombies for their company. Sad really. Lost many a friend to these companies. One who was a successful geologist in the oil industry. Lost his job, and bought it hook, line and sinker. He was living off his life savings.

Finally asked him, out of concern for him, his wife, and two kids, what his plan is if he doesn't make it. "I just need the will and determination. Things aren't going well now, but people saying no is a good thing because it makes the product more exclusive. I'm gonna be a millionaire soon, too bad you don't want in." This was six months in, and he'd made $50 so far, which is a drop in the bucket of his $2,000+ initial investment, Told me he had six months of savings to live off of, but was never gonna work in the corporate world again.

I'm not involved in it, but here's what I know...

Always ask one question: what do I get paid for?

The answer should always be "product sales". If it's anything else, then it could be a scam.

If, however, payment is based all (or primarily) on sales, then don't get scared off based on the idea that recruiting and structure are included in the program. Every business in the world uses both recruitment and a structure.

I know people who have had some success, but it's always short lived. They might build up their network but a pyramid by design can't stand without the base and the people at the bottom who have no success (the majority) quickly drop out and so on and so forth. It's not a sustainable model. Plus they are super annoying people, always selling crap to friends and family. It's embarrassing.

If you want to retire young then get a good job, live like a poor person, invest 70%+ of your income (401k, IRA, real estate) starting in your 20's, build up enough passive income to replace your salary and all expenses, step away and retire early. So many people say I want a raise but they never say I'm going to stop spending money on junk I don't need. You don't need more money, you need to stop spending the money you already have!

Chiming in here...

These companies infuriate me. While I have a tough time calling them a scam, they do an incredible job of painting a picture of success that is unobtainable for a vast, vast majority of their "employees", and for those that defy all the odds and reach the top of the organization chart, the payoff is unfulfilling.

First, they describe the opportunity to be a business owner, an entrepreneur, etc. What a crock of bologna. You own nothing. You are essentially a 100% commission, no expenses paid (don't fall for the "you can write off X" pitch, tax writeoffs are not the same as expense reimbursement) , direct sales rep that they are classifying as a contractor. All the risk of starting a business is carried by the MLMer, but the rewards of entrepreneurship are never fulfilled. If you are working for someone else is any sales capacity, they need to have some skin in the game, usually through a combination of paid training, base salary and expense reimbursement.

Second, the need to recruit others to succeed only leads to more saturation & competition. If the product was so great, why do you need to recruit others? Their are e-commerce tools that allow you to sell more product with less human resources needed than ever before. The last thing I want to do when building a sales territory would be to get 20 competitors from within my sphere of influence to start working the same people as me.

Finally, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. My wife's close friend is very high up an org. chart within a MLM company. I would bet they are higher than 95% of people that ever get involved. It is their primary income, and they are quite good at it, but make no mistake, they don't have a new loaded Audi in the driveway and a rustic retreat in Lake Placid. Their title screams ~$200K, but I'd be shocked if they made more than $60K at ~30. It's not like things get easier. The hustle is recruit more reps and drive more sales never stops. I wonder how much cash they would make if they took a traditional sales career path, where many of the benefits of MLM (setting own schedule, building a territory within your natural market, etc.) can play out.

The reality is this: there are no shortage of MLMs, pyramid schemes, financial agencies, real estate companies and other business models that would gladly ask you to work on 100% commission, make you cover all expenses, sell to your natural market and commit as little as humanly possible for you to succeed in the role. If you beat the odds and get past the 90%+ churn rates that are common in each of these professions, you may not find as many piles of cash at the top as you expected. Watch out for these groups, and tell them to !@#$ off.

The MLMers are bad, but the worst offender is still CYDCOR, and all their "independently owned offices". Lots of horror stories out there.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

This is a really well done documentary, and well worth renting it on Amazon. Ackman getting killed on the short right now, but i think he will eventually be proven to be on the right side.

Ackman messing with ADP now trying to win a proxy battle. Interesting dude that spends millions in investigating and researching ideas/investments/inefficiencies , then bets billions on his research.

I've prosecuted 3 and defended 2 from the numbers side of things.

If a product is being distributed then it's not quite a pyramid, this is their legal out.

Best to start at the top of these things and get all your friends into it, a church membership list of 2,000 people is golden to get one going...

"Just give me all your contacts when you quit. Can I call your family and friends?"

People are so effing gullible. Lop the head off the beast if people didn't buy in.

Surprised nobody is here defending the MLM schemes and employment scams?

I've prosecuted 3 and defended 2 from the numbers side of things.

If a product is being distributed then it's not quite a pyramid, this is their legal out.

Best to start at the top of these things and get all your friends into it, a church membership list of 2,000 people is golden to get one going...

Fans on a Bills board too! Think I will hit the next tailgate! :-/

Don't forget to have a fall guy ready to take the heat.

Edited by Koko78