THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Lament - The 2017 Season Begins

Shaw66

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

Lament - The 2017 Season Begins

I ache.

It doesn’t really hurt; it’s just a little ache. It doesn’t keep me from leading a more or less normal life.

I can’t describe exactly where it is. It’s kind of all over and nowhere at the same time.

I don’t feel it every hour of every day, but sooner later most days I notice it.

I’ve had the ache for a long time. Ten or fifteen years or more.

I ache for a winner.

I think where I ache is in my soul. It’s the same place, or non-place, where I ache for a loved one who has passed away, for a lover who doesn’t share the affection I have for her, for a friend with a fatal illness.

Now, before you accuse me of trivializing important life events by comparing them to how I feel about the Bills, wait. I get that these things are different, quantum levels more important, more meaningful, more painful than the feelings associated with being a Bills fan. What I’m saying is that the ache is in the same place as those other feelings. It occupies only a tiny part of that space and is easily crowded out when seriously important life events demand the attention of my soul.

Mercifully, my life has not been filled with personal loss and crisis. That’s left time and space for this little ache. It’s a little ache, trivial in fact.

I tell my friends about the ache, and they “suffer” along with me. Some of my friends are Red Sox fans, so they know, or knew, what the ache is like. One of my friends is a Mets fan; he gets it. Another worked inside the Jets organization; he really gets it.

For eight months a year, I watch the Bills make changes and I hope that those changes will lead to my ache going away. I try to imagine how the changes will make the team better, how players will improve and how the Bills will start winning the games they’ve lost for years. I try to imagine the joy that will replace the ache.

For four months a year, I watch as the changes play out, always in a different way, but always leaving the ache behind. It’s happened so long, it seems like the ache will be there forever.

Now the 2017 season is about to begin, and the Bills have made another collection of changes. This time, the changes are so big it’s difficult to imagine how the team will perform this year.

Some of the best performers from the past few seasons are gone. The quarterback position is, again, unsettled. The team seems thin at certain positions. The new coach has installed new offensive and defensive schemes, and the team has had clear growing pains with each. The general manager is taking the team in a new direction.

Where will it lead? It’s difficult to imagine. I’ve become so accustomed to the ache, it’s difficult to imagine that all these changes will finally make the Bills a winner.

Still, I can’t wait for Sunday. Maybe this year things will be different.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Your ache is my pain.

A lot of posters here don't get it.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they will pass on a 1st round QB whether Taylor plays well or not, if that QB is a player they feel can run their offense better than Taylor. That's just the sense I get, but I hope that they do it wisely and not just make a move because they want their guy. Taylor gives them the luxury of being patient and taking a chance on a 2nd to 4th round pick panning out if the cost is too high to get the most coveted QBs that are in the top 10. There are likely going to be 4-5 first round prospects this next draft, but things seem to change a lot between the start of the college season and the actual draft. I'd really like to see them make this OL the real strength of the team and then have a young guy developing and pushing Taylor. That seems like the smartest way forward.

I get the concept of changing culture Beane and McDermott had in mind in the roster turnover, but nothing changes a culture like winning and it's hard to win when you churn the roster.

I guess I don't agree with either point. I don't agree that they churned the roster. Two corners, a wide receiver, a linebacker and two safeties is pretty normal turnover for a team.

As for qb, either they're going to think they need one or they don't. If they need one they'll use their picks to get a good one in the first round. Dif they don't need one they likely won't take one or all.

The Rockpile Review by Shaw66

Lament - The 2017 Season Begins

I ache.

It doesnt really hurt; its just a little ache. It doesnt keep me from leading a more or less normal life.

I cant describe exactly where it is. Its kind of all over and nowhere at the same time.

I dont feel it every hour of every day, but sooner later most days I notice it.

Ive had the ache for a long time. Ten or fifteen years or more.

I ache for a winner.

I think where I ache is in my soul. Its the same place, or non-place, where I ache for a loved one who has passed away, for a lover who doesnt share the affection I have for her, for a friend with a fatal illness.

Now, before you accuse me of trivializing important life events by comparing them to how I feel about the Bills, wait. I get that these things are different, quantum levels more important, more meaningful, more painful than the feelings associated with being a Bills fan. What Im saying is that the ache is in the same place as those other feelings. It occupies only a tiny part of that space and is easily crowded out when seriously important life events demand the attention of my soul.

Mercifully, my life has not been filled with personal loss and crisis. Thats left time and space for this little ache. Its a little ache, trivial in fact.

I tell my friends about the ache, and they suffer along with me. Some of my friends are Red Sox fans, so they know, or knew, what the ache is like. One of my friends is a Mets fan; he gets it. Another worked inside the Jets organization; he really gets it.

For eight months a year, I watch the Bills make changes and I hope that those changes will lead to my ache going away. I try to imagine how the changes will make the team better, how players will improve and how the Bills will start winning the games theyve lost for years. I try to imagine the joy that will replace the ache.

For four months a year, I watch as the changes play out, always in a different way, but always leaving the ache behind. Its happened so long, it seems like the ache will be there forever.

Now the 2017 season is about to begin, and the Bills have made another collection of changes. This time, the changes are so big its difficult to imagine how the team will perform this year.

Some of the best performers from the past few seasons are gone. The quarterback position is, again, unsettled. The team seems thin at certain positions. The new coach has installed new offensive and defensive schemes, and the team has had clear growing pains with each. The general manager is taking the team in a new direction.

Where will it lead? Its difficult to imagine. Ive become so accustomed to the ache, its difficult to imagine that all these changes will finally make the Bills a winner.

Still, I cant wait for Sunday. Maybe this year things will be different.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full days hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Hey Dennis....when I was a kid in the 60's my Dad took a sabbatical and taught for a fall semester at AZ.....do you remember renting our house for that season? I do! Edited by baskin