Massive Equifax data breach hits 143 million

ALF

Just in case folks are a little freaked out about this and your info....about 7 years ago my wife and I had our ID stolen, someone filed a bogus tax return, SS number, etc... that's how I found out about it...we did a fraud alert and froze our credit...we've had ZERO problems...so all is not doom and gloom.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case folks are a little freaked out about this and your info....about 7 years ago my wife and I had our ID stolen, someone filed a bogus tax return, SS number, etc... that's how I found out about it...we did a fraud alert and froze our credit...we've had ZERO problems...so all is not doom and gloom.

I think it's doom and gloom to many because it's all such a hassle. The worst part is that the government has done little to nothing to help and protect its citizens. It's quite backwards that we have to pay private companies to protect and warn us to ID theft. We don't have to pay private companies to protect us from other forms of crime. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Even though a freeze can likely be compromised, I would still recommend it for all 3 agencies (especially if it's free to remove in your state). They will still notify you if the freeze has been lifted, which at least informs you that something is about to go down.

The best defense is to keep a diligent eye on your accounts and reports, which is a hassle that most don't want. Unfortunately this will probably hurt the elderly the most.

But has anyone actually been told they weren't impacted by the breach? :P

You think it was announced in such a matter to get attention to their identity protection services?

I think the delay was partly to allow them to spin up advertising on it.

You think it was announced in such a matter to get attention to their identity protection services?

I think the delay was partly to allow them to spin up advertising on it.

I do wonder how much places gain from that during each of these breaches as people flock to their temporarily free services.

But has anyone actually been told they weren't impacted by the breach? :P

Someone stated that he and his wife got a message that they MAY have been affected, but their daughters did not.

My interpretation of that is that their daughters got a message that said they were DEFINITELY affected.

So ... no ... to answer your question, it appears not.

Someone stated that he and his wife got a message that they MAY have been affected, but their daughters did not.

My interpretation of that is that their daughters got a message that said they were DEFINITELY affected.

Wasn't it 145 million people impacted? Isn't that likely most every American with credit history? This makes it almost comical that they had a page telling you if you were affected.

:death: :death: :death: :death: :death: :death: