Nancy and Chuck Are My Friends

Tiberius

No way. I would love to have seen the expression on her face when she found out though! Priceless!

Probably joy for an even bigger book deal. Schumer pry knows Trump by the best out of anybody in the House or Senate and knows what buttons to push. My theory still is that this was a message to Ryan and McConnell to get things done or else.

I'm glad he did it and I hope he does more of it. Kicking out Bannon and the other goofs and listening to the more moderate minded people in his administration AKA the more responsible folks plays to his better angels.

He tried to get things done with the moderate rights and further right wing/purists and he got burned. They couldn't get it done and there is nothing out there to suggest that they could get anything done going it all alone on the right. He ran on some right wing stuff and without doubt that was part of his coalition but he also ran as a moderate quasi lefty on his spending and healthcare. That's where he should continue to go.

If I were him I'd go to the Democrats and Republican leadership and try to craft everything he does with bipartisan support. Clearly what was going on wasn't working and you'd have to be pretty damn stupid to believe that moving further to the right would accomplish any sort of meaningful legislation. His only hope is to move to the center if he hopes to get anything done.

I'm glad he did it and I hope he does more of it. Kicking out Bannon and the other goofs and listening to the more moderate minded people in his administration AKA the more responsible folks plays to his better angels.

He tried to get things done with the moderate rights and further right wing/purists and he got burned. They couldn't get it done and there is nothing out there to suggest that they could get anything done going it all alone on the right. He ran on some right wing stuff and without doubt that was part of his coalition but he also ran as a moderate quasi lefty on his spending and healthcare. That's where he should continue to go.

If I were him I'd go to the Democrats and Republican leadership and try to craft everything he does with bipartisan support. Clearly what was going on wasn't working and you'd have to be pretty damn stupid to believe that moving further to the right would accomplish any sort of meaningful legislation. His only hope is to move to the center if he hopes to get anything done.

Some Democrats were angry also. I guess I get that, after all that has happened, but if they can pass middle class tax cuts, fix the Dreamer situation, fund Obamacare and get a real infrastructure plan moving forward then they should just get it done. It's pretty obvious to Trump that there are a large group of hard right Republicans that do not want to get anything done at all and that is a real problem for the country. I'd like to think this was a good sign for the country, but we shall see. How long before Trump blows up about the Russia investigation or something?

Leadership is about negotiation and compromise.

I guess you'll never lead anything Tiberius, you can't even grasp the concept.

To his ilk, leadership is about the effective exercise of authority and control in order to get everything you want.

But they're not fascists...

Some people label a person as a conservative or liberal or whatever and then dictate they follow some straight line of behaviour.

Why they want to do this is beyond me, they have no education or experience or abilities to do anything useful in the first place.

Why do you people respond to gatorman's threads? Particularly when they're topics already being discussed elsewhere?

The best part of that Tom is, Gator posted about the same thing in the GOP Tax thread (post #103) that HE STARTED.

and then...........8 hours later...........he starts a new thread about the same thing :lol:

He's a buffoon.

and I agree that he shouldn't be responded to.

The best part of that Tom is, Gator posted about the same thing in the GOP Tax thread (post #103) that HE STARTED.

and then...........8 hours later...........he starts a new thread about the same thing :lol:

He's a buffoon.

and I agree that he shouldn't be responded to.

Oh no! Propaganda boy doesn't like me. Whatever shall I do?

What a d-bag

Meanwhile, back to the thread...

Schumer is trying to get Trump to go after recalcitrant Republicans on the Dream act so they can get that passed. With no tax plan having been come out-after all this time and talk about it--they might not even come close to tax cut for the wealthy. We are looking at going into the 2018 mid-terms with no stupid wall, Obamacare still with us (and improved?) protection for the Dreamers and maybe even infrastructure projects going on.

Ann Coulter, how are you? :wub:

Trump is not the only ne giving up on the dysfuncionalim of the Republican Party:

But the retirement announcements of these two moderate Republican House members from competitive swing districts is, without question, the most important political development of the week -- with potentially long-lasting consequences on Washington.

Why? Because both men represent an increasing abandonment of the current GOP by politicians in the ideological middle -- or, as Dent put it in a statement released Thursday night announcing his retirement, the "governing wing" of the Republican Party.

(Note: Democrats don't have much of a "governing wing" left, either, after losses in 2010 and 2014.)

It's worth quoting from that Dent statement as some length. Here's the key part:

"As a member of the governing wing of the Republican Party, I've worked to instill stability, certainty and predictability in Washington. I've fought to fulfill the basic functions of government, like keeping the lights on and preventing default.

Regrettably, that has not been easy given the disruptive outside influences that profit from increased polarization and ideological rigidity that leads to dysfunction, disorder and chaos."

It's hard to imagine a Democrat writing a more frank indictment of the current state of the Republican Party than that.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/08/politics/charlie-dent-paul-ryan/index.html

I would think there could be a deal to be had.

With the So-called Dreamers he could make it permanent for those kids to get a legal status and in exchange he gets his wall fully funded. Basically they could dare the Dems to vote on a bill that would deny these kids permanent legal status. I don't see how Democrats on a large scale would vote no for that.

Package infrastructure with a tax package. Basically you'd have the nationalists and Democrats both in favor of infrastructure with a "Made in the USA" bend to it, tax cuts for everyone except the "rich" which again would be bring these two potentially together and viola! You have enough of a coalition to pass a tax reform bill.

Senate approves Hurricane Harvey aid and stop-gap funding package to avoid shutdown, raise debt limit

Senate passage, by an 80-17 vote, sends the measure to the House, where swift approval is expected Friday, staving off a looming fiscal crisis at month's end. Most Democrats voted in favor, with the no votes coming from Republicans.

House sends bill on hurricane aid, debt ceiling to Trump's desk

The House approved Friday a package of bills that ties emergency funding for hurricane relief with measures that would raise the debt ceiling and keep the government open for three months.

The bill, which passed 316-90 and was part of a deal struck between President Donald Trump and Democratic leaders, now goes to the White House for the President's signature.

The 90 lawmakers who opposed the bill were all Republicans, who had just come out of a meeting with top administration officials urging them to support the package. The Senate passed the legislation Thursday.

Edited by ALF