If the Colts really suck, would they trade Luck to Buffalo?

BADOLBILZ

Yea, when people say all you need is a qb they don't literally mean that you can roll out 52 fans from section 321 with luck, but that's practically where the colts are at. And luck has kept them competitive. If you have any faith in your gm, you expect to be an instant super bowl contender with the move.

Except Hasselbeck had a better record with the Colts than Luck when he missed time in 2015.

Bottom line is simple...Colts have fallen off the cliff once the division substantially improved. Houston got better, Titans rose up, and Jacksonville became a tougher out even thought they still suck. Since then, Luck and the Colts became irrelevant. Their heyday was playing in what was the weakest division in football a couple years ago.

And besides, you just made my point for me...its not all about a QB. I would rather take a top prospect and surround him with a talented roster than gut this roster to absorb a massive contract by Luck who isn't reliable to even stay on the field and when he does, he is mistake heavy.

Someone mentioned McCoy and Luck...I would say there is almost no chance we would keep a 30 year old Shady and his contract if we had to account for Lucks contract. This is the kind of stuff I am talking about. His cap impact would degrade this roster and we would have given all our key draft assets in the next 2 drafts to probably get him, so we wouldn't even have good draft prospects to fill in cheaply in the cap.

I wouldn't trade for Luck...keep as much talent as we can and go get a QB in next years draft rather than trade everything away for a QB with a bad contract, injury and turnover issues.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except Hasselbeck had a better record with the Colts than Luck when he missed time in 2015.

Bottom line is simple...Colts have fallen off the cliff once the division substantially improved. Houston got better, Titans rose up, and Jacksonville became a tougher out even thought they still suck. Since then, Luck and the Colts became irrelevant. Their heyday was playing in what was the weakest division in football a couple years ago.

And besides, you just made my point for me...its not all about a QB. I would rather take a top prospect and surround him with a talented roster than gut this roster to absorb a massive contract by Luck who isn't reliable to even stay on the field and when he does, he is mistake heavy.

Someone mentioned McCoy and Luck...I would say there is almost no chance we would keep a 30 year old Shady and his contract if we had to account for Lucks contract. This is the kind of stuff I am talking about. His cap impact would degrade this roster and we would have given all our key draft assets in the next 2 drafts to probably get him, so we wouldn't even have good draft prospects to fill in cheaply in the cap.

I wouldn't trade for Luck...keep as much talent as we can and go get a QB in next years draft rather than trade everything away for a QB with a bad contract, injury and turnover issues.

Agreed. Or sign Cousins as a FA and keep all our draft picks.

Or LA, where he'd have weapons and could reunite with McVay...

Very good point, and I actually think him going to LA makes LA a serious team to contend with. All the weapons here with that Wade Philips and that D unit would be a seriously dangerous team. Although I think with all they invested to get Goff, it would take a pretty miserable season by Goff for them to throw in the towel on him.

As much as we would trade Jack Eichel

So for a 2nd rounder? He's got foot problems, ya' know? :flirt:

One of the 5 worst days in Buffalo sports history involved GETTING Eichel and he's good but he's been less than advertised and now they gotta' pay him like more than he is.

Very good point, and I actually think him going to LA makes LA a serious team to contend with. All the weapons here with that Wade Philips and that D unit would be a seriously dangerous team. Although I think with all they invested to get Goff, it would take a pretty miserable season by Goff for them to throw in the towel on him.

If they're smart they'll view it as sunk costs. Snead can't blame the prior GM (a Bills fan speciality) but it was, at least, a prior coaching staff. I think they won't hesitate to cut bait on Goff this offseason if he doesn't show a ton of progress. And outside of the QB position, that roster is STACKED.

The Titans "rose up," for one year. So did the Jags. The Texans have made the postseason 4/5 last seasons.

Not sure what you're referring to in that division.

Stranger things have happened.

Like Drew Bledsoe.........an unquestioned, extremely popular, durable, mid-aged franchise QB with a SB appearance in his recent past and just recently rewarded with a mega-contract........being dealt to a division rival.

Nobody in NE was selling Bledsoe down the road until Brady actually won the SB.

A lot can happen between now and April.

It may not be the Bills but I really wouldn't be surprised to see the Colts deal him if they get another young stud QB lined up.

Others in this thread don't know this but you predicted the Bledsoe trade over a beer in Lot 1 (Pole 5) at RWS.....a year before it went down.

Of course getting Luck seems unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility. Would I be for it? If the Bills were able to get a clear look at his medical issues and he comes up healthy, certainly. The man is a super talent.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Interesting scenario but don't other teams also likely view Luck as injury prone at this point?

I don't think Irsay allows them to go full-blown rebuild...he's got an ego and will believe getting more pieces around Luck is the way to go.

Interesting scenario but don't other teams also likely view Luck as injury prone at this point?

I don't think Irsay allows them to go full-blown rebuild...he's got an ego and will believe getting more pieces around Luck is the way to go.

I wonder how much damage is already done. Not that it matters much but on a you tube video in which Cowherd was talking about a pro team hiring Coach Saban, he said that Luck's insides are bleeding, and this was a couple of years ago.

Why do,people start ridiculous threads. They will never trade Luck. I hate these stupid threads.

If the thread is so stupid why are you posting on it? It's like ordering a meal you know you won't like so you can have the opportunity to complain about it.

Others in this thread don't know this but you predicted the Bledsoe trade over a beer in Lot 1 (Pole 5) at RWS.....a year before it went down.

Of course getting Luck seems unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility. Would I be for it? If the Bills were able to get a clear look at his medical issues and he comes up healthy, certainly. The man is a super talent.

:thumbsup:

It would be really hard to be against acquiring Andrew Luck.

It would be Billsy..........trying a shortcut to a reclamation project.........because in this scenario he doesn't even play this year........but even without the value of hindsight I like Luck better than Bledsoe then.

It wasn't a given by any means that Bledsoe wouldn't return to his HOF form right after he signed that deal........but we did know then that the zone blitz type defenses had really hurt the big pocket passers that were always looking downfield over taking the quick open throws.

Ironically, I think he might do better at age 30 in todays game than back in the early 2000's because defenses have mostly been de-fanged and the lack of practice time makes playing complex defenses like guys like LeBeau and Rex were incorporating more difficult.

Another scenario is if the Colts started out 0-6 or something putrid like that and didn't want to play Luck.........and he thought he was ready and not happy about it........would they trade him in season?

Even MORE unlikely.......but if they are determined to bottom out to try to re-build their roster in a division that is shaping up as being LOADED with talent they could do it then too.

I think you can still swing deals past the trade deadline, the players just can't participate in the postseason for their new teams.........so that might not be a restricting factor for a team 4-6 team or something like that 10 games in.

:thumbsup:

It would be really hard to be against acquiring Andrew Luck.

It would be Billsy..........trying a shortcut to a reclamation project.........because in this scenario he doesn't even play this year........but even without the value of hindsight I like Luck better than Bledsoe then.

It wasn't a given by any means that Bledsoe wouldn't return to his HOF form right after he signed that deal........but we did know then that the zone blitz type defenses had really hurt the big pocket passers that were always looking downfield over taking the quick open throws.

Ironically, I think he might do better at age 30 in todays game than back in the early 2000's because defenses have mostly been de-fanged and the lack of practice time makes playing complex defenses like guys like LeBeau and Rex were incorporating more difficult.

Another scenario is if the Colts started out 0-6 or something putrid like that and didn't want to play Luck.........and he thought he was ready and not happy about it........would they trade him in season?

Even MORE unlikely.......but if they are determined to bottom out to try to re-build their roster in a division that is shaping up as being LOADED with talent they could do it then too.

I think you can still swing deals past the trade deadline, the players just can't participate in the postseason for their new teams.........so that might not be a restricting factor for a team 4-6 team or something like that 10 games in.

Bledsoe never had a HOF form, although he had a couple of good seasons (1996 and 1997). He is arguably the most overrated QB in NFL history. His record against teams with winning records -- and his performance measured in QBR in those games -- was truly awful. His postseason QBR is 54.9, for chrissake! Luck, despite a few flaws, is just a better player Bledsoe. The year the Pats got to the SB (1996), it was all Belichick (who took over the D that year) and Curtis Martin.

Bledsoe never had a HOF form, although he had a couple of good seasons (1996 and 1997). He is arguably the most overrated QB in NFL history. His record against teams with winning records -- and his performance measured in QBR in those games -- was truly awful. His postseason QBR is 54.9, for chrissake! Luck, despite a few flaws, is just a better player Bledsoe. The year the Pats got to the SB (1996), it was all Belichick (who took over the D that year) and Curtis Martin.

Stopped right there. Not worth debating.

Look at the QB's that were taking teams to the playoffs and SB's then.

It was a bit of a low point for the NFL wrt QB play.

Bottom line.......he was JUST awarded the richest contract in NFL history months before the Mo Lewis hit.......that says EVERYTHING about the likelihood of him being traded after that season.

Stopped right there. Not worth debating.

Look at the QB's that were taking teams to the playoffs and SB's then.

It was a bit of a low point for the NFL wrt QB play.

Bottom line.......he was JUST awarded the richest contract in NFL history months before the Mo Lewis hit.......that says EVERYTHING about the likelihood of him being traded after that season.

I *totally* disagree with you about Bledsoe's career. We'll just have to agree to disagree about him. As for QBs taking their teams to the playoffs and SB in those years: Aikman, Young, Elway, and Favre leap immediately to mind. Christ, Mark Brunell was a better QB than Bledsoe by practically every statistical measure (including postseason) except yardage output/games played, and they played in the same era.

FWIW and continuing with college players from the state of Washington, Bledsoe never had a season nearly as good as Chris Chandler's 1998 season. (It's also pretty hilarious that PFR includes his nickname - Crystal Chandelier - on his player page: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/ChanCh00.htm).

Best comparison to Bledsoe at the end of the day? Jim Everett. The stats are eerily similar.

Edited by dave mcbride