Gas price rise in last month

Saxum

The local gas prices have been jumping 20 cents a gallon on some days and it appears it is fault of storm in Texas as well as price gougers. The prices are going up before the gas will be delivered if that is the reason for rise and this happening in disaster was clamped down on by previous two administrations but not now. From what I can tell the spike is more locally (Northern Virginia) than in other areas of country.

The local gas prices have been jumping 20 cents a gallon on some days and it appears it is fault of storm in Texas as well as price gougers. The prices are going up before the gas will be delivered if that is the reason for rise and this happening in disaster was clamped down on by previous two administrations but not now. From what I can tell the spike is more locally (Northern Virginia) than in other areas of country.

You should see what the price of Gabon Ebony has done in the same time period. :ph34r:

It's mostly due to us idiots in Texas.

We caused an artificial gas shorted. There were a lot of social media rumors that everyone was running out of gas, the Railroad Commission (which is a misnomer and responsible for energy in Texas) responded by not addressing concerns. A run on gas started, which caused an artificial shortage, which caused all the gas stations to start to run out of gas, which made people panic more.

Shortly after that started happening, to control demand, all gas prices went up quite a bit here last week. We screwed up the national supply and gas had to be diverted to Texas to cover the areas without gas, increasing price across the nation.

San Antonio is still almost completely out of gas. I finally had to fill up my tank this morning, went to two gas stations here in Austin (which isn't bad) before I found some, and they were out of anything but unleaded.

It seems like supply is starting to catch up some now, but it's pretty much screwed up gas prices across the country.

A hell of a lot of gasoline comes from/through the Houston area, and the storm has both disrupted the steady supply and caused a panic around the area, causing gas lines at service stations and many retailers running completely out. Prices should drop back to where they were soon.

We caused an artificial gas shorted. There were a lot of social media rumors that everyone was running out of gas, the Railroad Commission (which is a misnomer and responsible for energy in Texas) responded by not addressing concerns. A run on gas started, which caused an artificial shortage, which caused all the gas stations to start to run out of gas, which made people panic more.

Shortly after that started happening, to control demand, all gas prices went up quite a bit here last week. We screwed up the national supply and gas had to be diverted to Texas to cover the areas without gas, increasing price across the nation.

San Antonio is still almost completely out of gas. I finally had to fill up my tank this morning, went to two gas stations here in Austin (which isn't bad) before I found some, and they were out of anything but unleaded.

It seems like supply is starting to catch up some now, but it's pretty much screwed up gas prices across the country.

Yep, that pretty much nails it. :beer:

Actually, it's my fault. I bought a ton of gas futures before Harvey.