[closed]C.J. Spiller is cut from KC Chiefs and then resigned

Saxum

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20565713/kansas-city-chiefs-put-cb-steven-nelson-ir-re-sign-rb-cj-spiller

And rules may have been broken ...

The Chiefs placed Nelson on their injured reserve list Sunday. He can begin practicing with the Chiefs after six weeks and begin playing in games after eight weeks.

The Chiefs replaced Nelson on their roster by re-signing running back C.J. Spiller, who was released on Saturday in the cut to 53 players. By rule, a player can return from injured reserve only if he is on a team's initial 53-man roster.

Initial 53-man roster? Is that the roster post-cutdown, any 53-man roster before game 1 or game 1 roster? I think the Chiefs are trying to stretch rules.

I wonder if Spiller asked for a signing bonus this time since he did not get one when signed by KC Chiefs first time just $25,000 workout bonus.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20565713/kansas-city-chiefs-put-cb-steven-nelson-ir-re-sign-rb-cj-spiller

And rules may have been broken ...

Initial 53-man roster? Is that the roster post-cutdown, any 53-man roster before game 1 or game 1 roster? I think the Chiefs are trying to stretch rules.

I wonder if Spiller asked for a signing bonus this time since he did not get one when signed by KC Chiefs first time just $25,000 workout bonus.

No rules have been broken. This is the exact thing that used to happen frequently. And by frequently I mean every team in the league used to do this with players.

People always clamor for an IR system where players can come back after a certain period. Years ago that's exactly what the league had. Teams would cut players at the cutdown, then stash players on IR who had made the final 53 (47 back then), then resign the cut players the next day.

It was common practice and every team would do it with a half dozen players or more - and no, they weren't always actually injured. It was how they used to stash young players, etc. Once the salary cap rolled around the issue of roster size became important so the league came up with the rule that said any player on injured reserve had to stay there for the season. Then, in order to allow for more flexibility as a 47 man roster with no ability to stash players didn't seem like enough, they increased the roster size to 53 while still allowing 47 to dress on game day. This was meant to effectively be an in season injured reserve with almost unlimited flexibility.

But just to make sure they also added practice squads in order to give teams even more flexibility and a place to stash more younger, promising players.

Alas, none of this was enough. Teams and fans have been clamoring for a chance to place players on IR and still bring them back. So they tweaked the rules to allow it in limited form. And now we're right back to doing just what we used to do. Yes it's very limited, for now. But it's exactly the same only with fewer players, for now.