What is the value of real team chemistry?

scribo

When Streater went down with a toe injury, the entire team huddled around him. It was very unusual, maybe only seen before when grave (Kevin Everett-like) injuries occur. To me it was a glimpse of the culture McD is trying to install here. Many players & coaches interviews I've heard since hint that this culture is taking hold. So I'm wondering how valuable is that when it comes to wins and losses? This stopped my angst over what can appear to be tanking, getting me to instead believe maybe this really is investing in the future AND the now.DHedyZbXgAA4IZz.jpg

Was the team that impressive this preseason? Did the penalties get fixed?

We'll see in the regular season, but usually the Coach starts running out of answers in the post game about Week 7 or 8 around here.

I thought defense was very impressive. They were working together for the first time in a couple years. It seemed like the penalties were fixed as the pre-season went on. Of course you're right about the past.

Chemistry is great. Did the Bills of the 90's have chemistry? I thought they were labeled as the Bickering Bills?

It's all for nothing anyway if they don't win. I personally don't like the number of players that are jack of all trades but a master of none.

Chemistry is only important if you're losing.

It takes more character to survive sucking, most people don't have it, so you build a "family" for moral support.

On the opposite end, most winning organizations are filled with egotistical jack ashes with no loyalty. Look at the Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers...

Edited by unbillievable

In Madden, chemistry only matters if you simulate the game and let the A.I. take over.

But if YOU are the one playing, you can win with 0 chemistry.

Lol...

Joking aside, I'm a believer in both. Sure I'd like my team to have chemistry (as teammates and brothers of sorts) but I also want them to have on field chemistry (where they run the routes they're supposed to run, or throw the ball when and where they're supposed to throw etc.)

The chemistry you're pointing out in that photo is the brotherhood chemistry. Has nothing to do with how well they perform on the field.

In Madden, chemistry only matters if you simulate the game and let the A.I. take over.

But if YOU are the one playing, you can win with 0 chemistry.

Lol...

Joking aside, I'm a believer in both. Sure I'd like my team to have chemistry (as teammates and brothers of sorts) but I also want them to have on field chemistry (where they run the routes they're supposed to run, or throw the ball when and where they're supposed to throw etc.)

The chemistry you're pointing out in that photo is the brotherhood chemistry. Has nothing to do with how well they perform on the field.

I disagree. Today's average pro athlete is an individual first, teammate second. Brotherhood chemistry doesn't just happen, especially not a week or two into the preseason, which of course is when this photo was taken. I think we could see 53 guys fighting for not just themselves this season but for one another. That's unique these days.

Chemistry is only important if you're losing.

It takes more character to survive sucking, most people don't have it, so you build a "family" for moral support.

On the opposite end, most winning organizations are filled with egotistical jack ashes with no loyalty. Look at the Patriots, Cowboys, Steelers...

As much as I hate the Pats*, they play for one another. Um, the Cowboys haven't won anything in a long time. The Steelers also have real chemistry and have been together for a lot longer than most teams, which is a direct contributing factor to their success. Good players choose whether to stay on one team or not.

Edited by scribo

Chemistry is great. Did the Bills of the 90's have chemistry? I thought they were labeled as the Bickering Bills?

It's all for nothing anyway if they don't win. I personally don't like the number of players that are jack of all trades but a master of none.

They were labeled the Bickering Bills the one year between 1988 and 1994 that they made an early exit from the playoffs. They had enough chemistry the rest of the time that many still live in the area and they seem to still hang out together on the reg almost 30 years later.

I disagree. Today's average pro athlete is an individual first, teammate second. Brotherhood chemistry doesn't just happen, especially not a week or two into the preseason, which of course is when this photo was taken. I think we could see 53 guys fighting for not just themselves this season but for one another. That's unique these days.

As much as I hate the Pats*, they play for one another. Um, the Cowboys haven't won anything in a long time. The Steelers also have real chemistry and have been together for a lot longer than most teams, which is a direct contributing factor to their success. Good players choose whether to stay on one team or not.

Chemistry is a nice catch word but it's consistency at the top that drives continued success. Talent and continuity in a system are the keys to victory.