Republican Tax Plan (a nothingburger with cheese)

Tiberius

15 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

Hey, look! Liberals are now concerned about reducing the deficit. :lol: 

You guys kill me.

I thought Republicans were fiscally conservative , I won't make that mistake again.

We’ll Alf, did you want a deal, or would you rather have had another government shutdown? 

The Republicans didn’t have enough votes to do the best thing, so they reached across the aisle and had to bargain with the Dems. 

You think the Dems are now the party of fiscal restraint? :blink:

35 minutes ago, Nanker said:

We’ll Alf, did you want a deal, or would you rather have had another government shutdown? 

The Republicans didn’t have enough votes to do the best thing, so they reached across the aisle and had to bargain with the Dems. 

A lot depends if the tax cuts help or hurt the deficit in the long run. Like George H. Bush said , voodoo economics. Too many jobs today are min wage service sector, not high enough to pay income tax on. Never want a gov shutdown, make the deal and both sides take responsibility 

38 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Of course not, they are the party of tax and spend. The issue is most republicans claimed to be fiscally responsible and harangued the Dems over the debt. Its clear, deficits are only an issue to them when it’s politically expedient. 

2 minutes ago, TPS said:

Of course not, they are the party of tax and spend. The issue is most republicans claimed to be fiscally responsible and harangued the Dems over the debt. Its clear, deficits are only an issue to them when it’s politically expedient. 

The last admin inherited a crashed economy and 2 very expensive wars . What else could they do but massive borrowing in that situation resulting in the economy Trump inherited. Was massive borrowing needed in Clinton's 2 terms. btw I did not vote for him instead for Ross Perot. Would not have mind George H. winning re-election. Had other countries pay for most of the Gulf War.

2 hours ago, ALF said:

The last admin inherited a crashed economy and 2 very expensive wars . What else could they do but massive borrowing in that situation resulting in the economy Trump inherited. Was massive borrowing needed in Clinton's 2 terms. btw I did not vote for him instead for Ross Perot. Would not have mind George H. winning re-election. Had other countries pay for most of the Gulf War.

I'm not complaining about the deficit, just pointing out the republican hypocrisy. 

In fact, in my view, trump's expansionary policy is somewhat similar to what Bernie would've done, only Bernie would've targeted the working class not Trump's class. Progressives have argued that the bargaining power of workers has been beaten down for 30+ years. The only way to support wage growth is to boost the economy when it's close to full employment (or raise the minimum wage). The problem is, as I posted before, higher wages will stoke inflationary pressures causing the Fed to raise rates higher and faster than expected, bringing about the next recession, most likely in 2019 (this made meazza whinge about me wanting to hurt people for political reasons as trump would not be reelected under this scenario--answering your question here buddy). ?

On 2/10/2018 at 8:53 AM, row_33 said:

We have 1-877 cars for kids

It's kars with a "K". 

On 2/10/2018 at 10:47 AM, TPS said:

I'm not complaining about the deficit, just pointing out the republican hypocrisy. 

You should complain about it. We all should.  Debt service is an increasing portion of the annual budget and that will only accelerate as rates rise. 

23 hours ago, Azalin said:

Are you suggesting that Bernie will run in November?

Bernie hasn't even jogged in the last 20 years.

Edited by keepthefaith
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Azalin said:

Are you suggesting that Bernie will run in November?

He will run for re-election to the Senate in 2018. Hypothetical if he were Pres his agenda would not get by a Republican Congress hence Nov election would be more important. I can be confusing at times. 

I was responding to this   quote by TPS 

In fact, in my view, trump's expansionary policy is somewhat similar to what Bernie would've done, only Bernie would've targeted the working class not Trump's class. Progressives have argued that the bargaining power of workers has been beaten down for 30+ years. The only way to support wage growth is to boost the economy when it's close to full employment (or raise the minimum wage). The problem is, as I posted before, higher wages will stoke inflationary pressures causing the Fed to raise rates higher and faster than expected, bringing about the next recession, most likely in 2019

Edited by ALF

And pray tell, Alf how would the working class be targeted by Bernie?

Pay people not to work? How much? Would $50k a year enough? Augment their salaries if they do work so everyone gets $100k a year?

Eliminate Federal taxes for those earning less than - you name the amount $100k a year, $200k for married couples filing jointly? Or do you think it should be higher?

What rate of taxation on the super wealthy will pay for that? 75% like it is in France? You want to raise corporate taxes to what 50% or higher... 60%, 70%, 80%? 

What if the government seizes everyones 401k and IRA money? They could simply issue Government bonds with a guaranteed return of 2 or 3%. Would that make you happy? Maybe Amazon, Alphabet, Apple, Walmart and others should be nationalized. Would that be the answer? Or should the government just confiscate their profits above what's a "fair" amount for them to keep? What would that be - 5%, 6%, 8%? That's WAY more than government bonds pay. 

Tell us - how do you see America becoming the Worker's Paradise that the "progressives" are so desperately seeking? 

And while you're at it, can you update us on the criminal investigation that his wife is undergoing now for the fraud she perpetrated at the college in NH that she was the president of? I haven't been keeping track of that for awhile. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

Republicans got their tax cut so it's only fair we cancel out all student loan debt

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/02/lets-cancel-everyones-student-debt-for-the-economys-sake.html

:wallbash:

In addition to forgiving my student loans, the government should forgive my car loan and my mortgage, take care of my car insurance, give me free gas and have my free groceries delivered to me, at no cost. They should also provide me with a free prostitute, so I do not have to worry about paying for one. You see, if i do not have to worry about those obligations, I could spend more money, thus creating more economic growth!

15 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

In addition to forgiving my student loans, the government should forgive my car loan and my mortgage, take care of my car insurance, give me free gas and have my free groceries delivered to me, at no cost. They should also provide me with a free prostitute, so I do not have to worry about paying for one. You see, if i do not have to worry about those obligations, I could spend more money, thus creating more economic growth!

I think I'm beginning to see the wisdom of the promised worker's paradise! :w00t:

4 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Just think of all that jobs that'll create!

9 hours ago, Nanker said:

And pray tell, Alf how would the working class be targeted by Bernie?

Pay people not to work? How much? Would $50k a year enough? Augment their salaries if they do work so everyone gets $100k a year?

Eliminate Federal taxes for those earning less than - you name the amount $100k a year, $200k for married couples filing jointly? Or do you think it should be higher?

What rate of taxation on the super wealthy will pay for that? 75% like it is in France? You want to raise corporate taxes to what 50% or higher... 60%, 70%, 80%? 

Good grief I can not even imagine how you think that is my belief. 

I'm a Independent not a far left or far right, I'm bipartisan . I would never vote for Bernie , Trump or Clinton. I was a Kasich or Bush  supporter.