Just talked to a former player from the SB years

major

Like ALL personnel moves, reasonable people could disagree whether the latest they will have a positive or negative affect on a team - both short and long term, but i believe there is little hard evidence to prove that McBeane is trying to tank the season. If so, they are doing a poor job of it.

Moreover, I believe their moves are reasonable and well-thought out, with a plan to build a team for the future. Personally, I think we just aren't used to a management team that is willing to make moves beyond the short-term value.

For the record, I'm fine switching out Gaines for Darby because I didn't think Darby was all that good AND the coaching staff didn't think he would fit in with the program. Moreover, while I love healthy Watkins and was OK with the trade up for him, Sammy has proved he's not physically reliable AND Matthews is a very, very productive receiver. We may differ but neither of the moves can be considered tanking.

So, again, which moves are clear evidence McBeane believes the season is a wash or that they are building the team the "wrong way"?

Trading a third string LB and a 4thstring QB means you've given up.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whaley left Beane with a steaming pile of dog crap.

Yet there are people who expected him to look at the pile and think to himself that he can immediately turn it into apple pie.

See Wayne Other GM's were in the same shape starting with Tom Donahoe and being 13 million over the cap. When you try to appease the fanbase (Who is going no where BTW) and not clean house, you will keep getting what we have for 17 years now

First off, the unnamed player has zero credibility since we don't know his name or his management experience. He could have been stapled to the bench, never played, and now works in landscaping, making his comments moot. Even if he does have some management skills and experience, which I doubt, has he seen how this team has been operated since the 1990s? Does he and the resident Beane/McD bashers prefer the old model, switching from offensive to defensive minded coaches who all have the "win now" mentality and refuse to try and actually built a team based on anything resembling a plan? Think about this for a minute... every coach said we're going to win now. Every GM drafted like their job was on the line. Now they have a clear plan and an ownership that appears to be willing to be patient and let them try this process, rather than firing them after two years, changing the offensive and defensive schemes that make some players less useful and then drafting to fill holes in the new schemes. It's a garbage way to build anything and as a STH, I'm not looking forward to eating December tickets but I am all in on this rebuild.

Yet there are people who expected him to look at the pile and think to himself that he can immediately turn it into apple pie.

Whaley actually built a winning team (the only one in the last 12 years), which the Pegulas ruined by hiring Rex Ryan.

Regardless, I'm a Beane fan and I have been calling for this tank since Rex got fired. I've also said I think it's a 2 year rebuild, meaning, we will be a playoff team in 2019.

Whaley actually built a winning team (the only one in the last 12 years), which the Pegulas ruined by hiring Rex Ryan.

Regardless, I'm a Beane fan and I have been calling for this tank since Rex got fired. I've also said I think it's a 2 year rebuild, meaning, we will be a playoff team in 2019.

He built an average at best team. He wanted EJ starting, and if he had had his way, the Bills would not be 24-24 under the Pegulas. they would be well under .500. Whaley was not a good GM. Bad drafter.

The loss to the Giants, in particular, had a LOT to do with the Bills partying all week. We win that with a smidge of discipline.

Levy was out coached in that SB.

I liken this process to having your house be the feature point of 'Extreme Home Makeover'. Currently we are in the demolition phase and a lot of people are getting teary-eyed because they see the stuff they are familiar with, things that they have been around and have sentimental value, being destroyed. Let's wait until the big reveal before we get so upset. Our consistent lack of success is the only thing I would consider a **** show at this point in time.

THIS!

He built an average at best team. He wanted EJ starting, and if he had had his way, the Bills would not be 24-24 under the Pegulas. they would be well under .500. Whaley was not a good GM. Bad drafter.

Levy was out coached in that SB.

His problem was his allegiance to EJ. But this team was a QB away from being a perennial playoff team. Whaley, in my opinion, was a good GM. He simply held onto EJ too long.

Levy was outcoached in every SB. Talk about overrated.

His problem was his allegiance to EJ. But this team was a QB away from being a perennial playoff team. Whaley, in my opinion, was a good GM. He simply held onto EJ too long.

Levy was outcoached in every SB. Talk about overrated.

Well, I just think that the other three losses were to better teams. the Giants game should never have been a loss.

I don't agree with this at all. The Bills were talented but poorly coached. It's also possible it was a group of divas. But to call the Bills a pile of crap is nonsense.

Now as a regime you can a) build off the players you have or b) tear it down and rebuild. The second option definitely buys you more time.

I don't agree with this at all. The Bills were talented but poorly coached. It's also possible it was a group of divas. But to call the Bills a pile of crap is nonsense.

Now as a regime you can a) build off the players you have or b) tear it down and rebuild. The second option definitely buys you more time.

Average team. Some better defense and coaching could have been a playoff team. But Whaley is still subpar as a drafter.

Well said.

They are systematically tearing down and stripping the old rust bucket in the garage to bare metal, so they can rebuild it and win best in show at Pebble Beach. At least that is the idea.

And that's how you properly restore an old rust bucket.

You don't buy a $3 can of spray paint and shoot it over a rust patch and tell yourself it looks good.

That's how the current regime differs from all the others in the last 20 years, give or take.

Give them some time and see if it works.