Dareus sent home for violating a team rule

Suspended for a meaningless game. It sends a message that rules will be enforced. There are very few rules for these men, but one of them is to be on time.

Marcel is a child in many ways - unable to be on time; influenced easily into making a bad decision. Marlon Kerner needs to be his best friend from here forward. Going to his house and picking him up if necessary, staying around him a lot. It sounds like Lorax and Kyle are willing to help. Marcel needs a babysitter--almost like Josh Hamilton when he first came back to baseball.

The Bills have invested $16 million a year in this guy -- invest more to make sure he has the support he needs. There is no way he is cut this year or next so structure an environment where he can succeed. Saban likely had to do the same thing at Alabama for him.

Edited by JoeF

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly disagree.

When I was a young army officer, I was taught, "You can come in like a lion and leave as a sheep. But if you enter as a sheep, you'll never be a lion."

As a guy who builds teams for a living (albeit in a very different profession), I passionately believe you have to be clear about your expectations from the very beginning. There has to be strong accountability that doesn't play favorites.

Accountability comes from the word 'count.' You count up the good or bad someone does and reward/punish them in measure. Holding people accountable isn't being a hard a$$. It's just being both smart and strong. Most people want to be on a high-performing team rather than in a loosey-goosey Rex Ryan environment that produces losing.

McD's commitment to accountability won't just create a better team, it has a very good chance of making Dareus a better player.

First thank you for your service. This is excellent information.

I'm going to try one more time to clarify then I'll let it go. I believe 100% in discipline and accountability and every single thing you say in your post.

Sending him home is something totally different than accountability. It's public embarrassment. That's next level stuff. It's the ultimate FU in this particular situation - because he can't be cut/traded and can't quit.

It's way beyond smart and strong when every major NFL outlet including the bottom ticker on every sports channel I've been to today is showing it. This goes beyond structure and there's some players that won't be behind such a public lashing - when there's money involved and the ability to protest is real.

And Haynesworth wasn't when he was in a 4-3 with the Titans? Great/motivated players find a way to be productive in different schemes under different coaches. A cautionary tale (and so far everything Dareus has done is consistent with this):

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/chris-cooley-albert-haynesworth-was-an-awful-human-being/

People are motivated by different things. Some people win the Powerball, they stay working at their old jobs. Some quit the day they win. Some start charities and do the things for their families that they've always wanted to do. Some go straight to Vegas and do the old Tug McGraw (and/or Georgie Best, and/or many others): "80 percent of it I spent on good times, women, and Irish Whiskey [err, good weed for others?]; the rest of it I wasted."

Why assume that all players are motivated by some corny old saw like, "Be the best you can be," or "Strive to maximize your potential?" Many are; that's often why they've reached the pinnacle of achievement by playing in the NFL. But some aren't, and there are a lot of examples.

What were Dareus' goals when he went to Haiti on a humanitarian trip and when he hosts football camps for kids in Alabama?

What were Dareus' goals when he went to Haiti on a humanitarian trip and when he hosts football camps for kids in Alabama?

Hey, maybe that's what really motivates him, rather than being a Pro Bowl defensive tackle! We have another Bills example in Aaron Maybin, who seems pretty passionate about his art (and who is also something of a cannabis afficionado; just sayin'), and who just lost interest in becoming a better football player after he got a big payday. It happens. In any other business if you have someone who's been suspended multiple times, shows up late for work, appears to have substance use issues, and has been generally unproductive when at work for 2 years running, the simplest explanation is the most convincing. He just doesn't care.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Hey, maybe that's what really motivates him, rather than being a Pro Bowl defensive tackle! We have another Bills example in Cameron Maybin, who seems pretty passionate about his art (and who is also something of a cannabis afficionado; just sayin'), and who just lost interest in becoming a better football player after he got a big payday. It happens. In any other business if you have someone who's been suspended multiple times, shows up late for work, appears to have substance use issues, and has been generally unproductive when at work for 2 years running, the simplest explanation is the most convincing. He just doesn't care.

With regard to his off the field issues, he's been suspended once AFAIK and he's subject to random testing so we'll find out if there's a substance abuse issue as you allege. When comparing his All-Pro 2014 season as a DT in a 4-3 based defense, you have to factor in his role as a NT in the Rex Ryan 3-4. We'll see what happens in 2017 both on the field and off, but he's here for the foreseeable future.

With regard to his off the field issues, he's been suspended once AFAIK and he's subject to random testing so we'll find out if there's a substance abuse issue as you allege. When comparing his All-Pro 2014 season as a DT in a 4-3 based defense, you have to factor in his role as a NT in the Rex Ryan 3-4. We'll see what happens in 2017 both on the field and off, but he's here for the foreseeable future.

Well, he was also suspended for the first game of 2015 for a drug test, and there was talk (although no follow through) of a drug rehab the last time around, so there is that.

But otherwise ... True. He may certainly prove me wrong about not caring, and I hope he does. I'm just saying that right now that's my working hypothesis because, again, it is the simplest explanation for why he continues to do things that result in him not even being on the field with an opportunity to prove the naysayers wrong.

Well, he was also suspended for the first game of 2015 for a drug test, and there was talk (although no follow through) of a drug rehab the last time around, so there is that.

But otherwise ... True. He may certainly prove me wrong about not caring, and I hope he does. I'm just saying that right now that's my working hypothesis because, again, it is the simplest explanation for why he continues to do things that result in him not even being on the field with an opportunity to prove the naysayers wrong.

Forgot about the 2015 opener against the Colts that he missed.

Suspended for a meaningless game. It sends a message that rules will be enforced. There are very few rules for these men, but one of them is to be on time.

Marcel is a child in many ways - unable to be on time; influenced easily into making a bad decision. Marlon Kerner needs to be his best friend from here forward. Going to his house and picking him up if necessary, staying around him a lot. It sounds like Lorax and Kyle are willing to help. Marcel needs a babysitter--almost like Josh Hamilton when he first came back to baseball.

The Bills have invested $16 million a year in this guy -- invest more to make sure he has the support he needs. There is no way he is cut this year or next so structure an environment where he can succeed. Saban likely had to do the same thing at Alabama for him.

Doesn't really send a message...suspending for a regular season game where he misses a paycheck would mean more. Doubt he cares he missed yesterdays game

Doesn't really send a message...suspending for a regular season game where he misses a paycheck would mean more. Doubt he cares he missed yesterdays game

McDermott hasn't coached a regular season game yet...it was the only message he could send. Hopefully, it does the trick before taking away real money and hurting the team in a regular season game. If it was a regular season game it would have likely been holding him out for a series or two or perhaps a quarter. Now coach has set the precedent that if you're late its a game...

Edited by JoeF

Stuck with the deal unless we want a lot of dead money. Hope the guy just shows up and dominates Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...so what would be his motivator?....love of the game and personal pride?....NOT.....$$$$$$...........another Haynesworth II until proven otherwise IMO......

i honestly dont like the Hayneworth comparison

Albert Haynesworth was a dirty ass player who stole money from several teams......he basically forced his own release

Marcel has issues......but he plays the game the right way....he is a knucklehead....but not on the level of Albert

...IF and WHEN he is ready to......so how is he less than a cash grab player than Fat Albert?...Fat Albert was a dirty filth bag (hearin' me "boy named Suh"?)........but Dareus has the SAME mindset as obligation to his contract and his teammates IMO....

First thank you for your service. This is excellent information.

I'm going to try one more time to clarify then I'll let it go. I believe 100% in discipline and accountability and every single thing you say in your post.

Sending him home is something totally different than accountability. It's public embarrassment. That's next level stuff. It's the ultimate FU in this particular situation - because he can't be cut/traded and can't quit.

It's way beyond smart and strong when every major NFL outlet including the bottom ticker on every sports channel I've been to today is showing it. This goes beyond structure and there's some players that won't be behind such a public lashing - when there's money involved and the ability to protest is real.

Then it's time for such players to grow up.

i honestly dont like the Hayneworth comparison

Albert Haynesworth was a dirty ass player who stole money from several teams......he basically forced his own release

Marcel has issues......but he plays the game the right way....he is a knucklehead....but not on the level of Albert

No, it's probably not a fair comparison, but even Dareus has to understand that it will always come to mind unless/until he starts performing at his pre-Rex level again. I actually hadn't seen this before; it's kind of enlightening:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/albert-haynesworth-redskins-made-him-lose-his-passion-for-football/

playing for the Redskins -- who signed him to a $100 million contract -- caused him to lose his "passion for football." Haynesworth writes about meeting with Mike Shanahan (who will now get an extra chance at jumping into the media fray!) and learning the then-Skins coach simply wanted him "grab the center," "let the linebackers run free" and "eat space." Haynesworth writes that he was stunned to learn about his responsibilities given his contract and eventually fell out of love with the game. "You will lose your passion for football in Washington, and it will be impossible to get back," Haynesworth writes. Hindsight is always 20/20 (well, unless it's 50/50) but clearly Washington was a bad fit. Haynesworth's other piece of advice for his 14-year-old self? Stick with Schwartz. "If nothing else, listen to me on this, Albert: Do not leave the Tennessee Titans. Your defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz is a mastermind," Haynesworth writes. "No matter how much I tell you this, you’ll probably never realize it until your career is over, but it’s true. You’re like a system quarterback. You thrive in a very specific scheme."

Now that's an interesting comparison. Haynesworth was at his best rushing the passer in the Titans' scheme under Schwartz, who has routinely gotten the most out of his defensive tackles. Marcell Dareus, Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley and Kyle Williams are all on the list of guys who produced at a high clip under Schwartz.

Now Dareus was very good before Schwartz, and then dominating under him. So I guess we'll see if McD/Frazier can help bring some of that intensity back. But I'm sticking to my main point: the great players can adapt to different coaches/systems. Sometimes it takes a little more professional maturity for an Oscar Robertson to play second fiddle to Lew Alcindor (now that's going back a ways! At least I didn't go with Wilt Chamberlain on the Lakers ...), and my fear is that Dareus is still far from that point.