The Panthers and the Bills

WIDE LEFT

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cam Newton is who Tyrod wants to be when he grows up. If we had Cam, I could see your point. But since we don't have him, we are miles about.

We are taking a severely flawed qb and forcing him in an offense that is awful for him. Good times.

Completely agree about TT.

This is an offense that ISNT tailored to him( pun)

Completely agree about TT.

This is an offense that ISNT tailored to him( pun)

I'm not the biggest Taylor fan in the world but it's embarrassing what this team is doing to him. They are forcing him into an offense that is completely wrong for him and took away the wr he works best with. We have a very slow receiving core and no gamebreakers.

Basically, we are doing the opposite of what the Panthers did with Cam, who is also better in every way than TT. They had crappy WRs but they had speed. Also, Cam uses the TE very effectively unlike TT.

He got scapegoated last year but people are going to realize that Roman did a great job with TT.

When analyzing how professionals in any business operate, it helps to look at their past experiences, specifically the scenarios/situations where they have had success in the past. Consider Beane & McDermott. Their most successful year by far was the year the Panthers went to the Super Bowl. That particular team had a QB known more for his running than his passing, had a very strong running game, had a mediocre receiving corps ( they lost star WR Kelvin Benjamin to injury in preseason); and they had a defense designed & coached by McDermott. Sounds a lot like the current Bills.

But the real lesson they learned from that very successful season is that you do NOT need a stud, #1 receiver to be successful. Having that great receiver is a luxury, not a necessity. Look at the very best receivers in the NFL over the last decade. The number of Super Bowl wins those great receivers have is close to zero. This explains a lot about the Watkins trade, especially knowing he would demand huge dollars next year. The choice to devote your cap dollars to other areas of the team (D & O lines) is a wise one.

And to those who would dismiss this years team's chances, or call this a tank year, go ahead and review the success of that Panthers team.

It was Newton's best year as a passer which you failed to mention, he threw his most TD passes (35), I think his lowest INT ratio since his rookie season (10) and tied for 8th in passer rating (99.4).

I'm not the biggest Taylor fan in the world but it's embarrassing what this team is doing to him. They are forcing him into an offense that is completely wrong for him and took away the wr he works best with. We have a very slow receiving core and no gamebreakers.

Basically, we are doing the opposite of what the Panthers did with Cam, who is also better in every way than TT. They had crappy WRs but they had speed. Also, Cam uses the TE very effectively unlike TT.

He got scapegoated last year but people are going to realize that Roman did a great job with TT.

Roman was Rex's scapegoat. The only thing this team had was an offense that let Taylor play to his strengths.

Cam Newton had what will probably be his "Career best" year in 2015. He had it in an offense specifically designed around him.

A top tier QB raised the level of all around him. Cam did that year in spades!!! He put that team on his back.

The 2015 Panther's D repeatedly gave away large leads to make the games appear closer than they were. To some degree it was a matter of coaching but they weren't as good as some think.

Finally, Newton is a winner. He has "it".

Just about nothing I wrote is attributable to this current Bill's QB or team.

TT has 1!? Comeback to his credit as a starter after having been in the league for 6 years.

6th in scoring defense, 6th in yards allowed. Oh and 1st in takeaways with 39. 6 more than any other team. Had a takeaway in every game but 1.

And they gave up less than 200 TOTAL yards, 1 3rd down conversion, and had 2 takeaways - in the super bowl loss. Newton has a remotely good game and they win it easy.

Roman still couldn't get a playcall in to save his life. Couldn't coach a 4 minute offense, let alone a 2 minute offense. His playbook has such a limited route tree so it's designed to take sacks and scramble.

6th in scoring defense, 6th in yards allowed. Oh and 1st in takeaways with 39. 6 more than any other team. Had a takeaway in every game but 1.

And they gave up less than 200 TOTAL yards, 1 3rd down conversion, and had 2 takeaways - in the super bowl loss. Newton has a remotely good game and they win it easy.

Roman still couldn't get a playcall in to save his life. Couldn't coach a 4 minute offense, let alone a 2 minute offense. His playbook has such a limited route tree so it's designed to take sacks and scramble.

Or it has limited routes because he's had bad passing qbs and needed to protect them.

But I guess we'll have a better answer about this after the season. Sadly, I think we are going to see a big time regression offensively.

When analyzing how professionals in any business operate, it helps to look at their past experiences, specifically the scenarios/situations where they have had success in the past. Consider Beane & McDermott. Their most successful year by far was the year the Panthers went to the Super Bowl. That particular team had a QB known more for his running than his passing, had a very strong running game, had a mediocre receiving corps ( they lost star WR Kelvin Benjamin to injury in preseason); and they had a defense designed & coached by McDermott. Sounds a lot like the current Bills.

But the real lesson they learned from that very successful season is that you do NOT need a stud, #1 receiver to be successful. Having that great receiver is a luxury, not a necessity. Look at the very best receivers in the NFL over the last decade. The number of Super Bowl wins those great receivers have is close to zero. This explains a lot about the Watkins trade, especially knowing he would demand huge dollars next year. The choice to devote your cap dollars to other areas of the team (D & O lines) is a wise one.

And to those who would dismiss this years team's chances, or call this a tank year, go ahead and review the success of that Panthers team.

I don't entirely agree but this is an interesting post from WIDE LEFT. Our 2017 Bills team does look a bit like a poor man's Panthers.

And cap allocation is an interesting subject. NFL teams tend to allocate a certain percentage of their payrolls to different position groups. It varies from team to team, depending how each team values a particular position group. It just may be that Beane values WRs less than some of his GM peers. Given that Sammy was oft-injured and would nonetheless receive some generous offers at season's end, Beane decided to move on.

Is Beane following the Panther model? I don't know - but it is a plausible theory.

Or it has limited routes because he's had bad passing qbs and needed to protect them.

But I guess we'll have a better answer about this after the season. Sadly, I think we are going to see a big time regression offensively.

Its an offense that is built to build a lead, or protect a lead. Unfortunately it has shown that it isn't particularly good at chasing a lead late in a game. The lack of tempo and rhythm, as well as reliance on running, isn't suited for a 2-4 minute offense.

Its an offense that is built to build a lead, or protect a lead. Unfortunately it has shown that it isn't particularly good at chasing a lead late in a game. The lack of tempo and rhythm, as well as reliance on running, isn't suited for a 2-4 minute offense.

Again, could that have been because of the qb he has?

Obviously, it's early so it's stupid to make judgments yet. But does Tyrod look any better in this offense, which he has familiarity in?

Cam Newton is who Tyrod wants to be when he grows up. If we had Cam, I could see your point. But since we don't have him, we are miles about.

We are taking a severely flawed qb and forcing him in an offense that is awful for him. Good times.

C. Biscuit97 - I know you to be a rational, intelligent poster. So I have to ask, where are you getting this from? How do you know what kind of offense we're forcing him into?

Dennison might not turn out to be the best OC in the game, but he's no fool. He's running his own show with a new team and new (to him) QB. No one - including enemy DCs - can be sure what we're up to. And Rico's not going to tip his hand in preseason.

At this point, I don't think any of us can say with any kind of precision what kind of offense Rico will put on the field. He might be masterminding an offensive scheme perfectly suited for our flawed QB. We just don't know.

Edited by hondo in seattle

So a First ranked Offense lead by an MVP QB was eclipsed by a 6 th ranked Defense that played with the lead almost every week?

I watched the games too because it quickly became apparent Rex was a farce.

a good defense is always better than a great offense.

C. Biscuit97 - I know you to be a rational, intelligent poster. So I have to ask, where are you getting this from? How do you know what kind of offense we're forcing him into?

Dennison might not turn out to be the best OC in the game, but he's no fool. He's running his own show with a new team and new (to him) QB. No one - including enemy DCs - can be sure what we're up to. And Rico's not going to tip his hand in preseason.

At this point, I don't think any of us can say with any kind of precision what kind of offense Rico will put on the field. He might be masterminding an offensive scheme perfectly suited for our flawed QB. We just don't know.

Thanks Hondo and same to you.

I just remember hearing about this offense and thinking it was a terrible fit for Tyrod's strengths. This is a quick throwing and timing offense. That has never been a strength of Tyrod.

A reason why Tyrod and other mobile qbs get sacked a lot is because they hold the ball and try to make plays. Tyrod's best plays aren't sitting in the pocket and making a quick throw. It's scrambling around and either running or throwing it on the run.

On top of that, we made our wr core slow. We have a group of WRs that would be fine with a Brady type. Possession, precision route runner guys. Tyrod's strength in the passing attack is throwing the ball down the field and we don't have a real deep threat. We have a bunch of WRs who are slot, over the middle type guys, which is the opposite of Tyrod's strength.

As always, I hope to be wrong on these things. All I want is to see the Bills make the playoffs once in my adult life. But if anything this preseason, it's been worse than I thought. It's still early but I'm very worried.

Even though Tyrod is probs let the better NFL qb, this Offense suits Peterman more than Tyrod IMO. And this thinking makes me question bringing TT back and the whole "plan."

You remain one of my favorite posters. Basically because of how you balance the good and bad.

I am going to trust Jboyst on the Panthers. because when you remove his personalty quirks he knows football. Especially Panthers.

It is silly for us to make any assumptions about what the preseason has predicted ?

Baltimore will be a great test against the best Preseason defense so far. I believe their goal is to come back and dominate as they once did.

Bills D will improve over Rex and Robs efforts(or lack of ). Just natural progression.

But the Offense will be something to watch. I felt quite good about Lynn taking over and hoped he would still be here. But i am also accepting a full blown "drain the swamp " was appropriate.

Told a Buddy. These guys might surprise. and thats my story

Go Bills !

Again, could that have been because of the qb he has?

Obviously, it's early so it's stupid to make judgments yet. But does Tyrod look any better in this offense, which he has familiarity in?

in preseason? nope he has not. New Offense and a timing game. New reciever nearly all. what did you expect, at this point, C. ?

You remain one of my favorite posters. Basically because of how you balance the good and bad.

I am going to trust Jboyst on the Panthers. because when you remove his personalty quirks he knows football. Especially Panthers.

It is silly for us to make any assumptions about what the preseason has predicted ?

Baltimore will be a great test against the best Preseason defense so far. I believe their goal is to come back and dominate as they once did.

Bills D will improve over Rex and Robs efforts(or lack of ). Just natural progression.

But the Offense will be something to watch. I felt quite good about Lynn taking over and hoped he would still be here. But i am also accepting a full blown "drain the swamp " was appropriate.

Told a Buddy. These guys might surprise. and thats my story

Go Bills !

Eh, Boyst has a personal vendetta against Cam Newton which caused him to trash his entire 15-1, SB, NFL MVP season when his best receiver was Ted Ginn. So you should take his opinion on them with a giant box of salt. :)