The MMQB: Preseason Hype Stories

@theMMQB

NFL preseason tells us very little about a team, but every season we hear these same hype stories… (by @jackdickey)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/22/nfl-preseason-2017-hype-stories

In a more sensible world, NFL fans would spend every moment from the Super Bowl trophy presentation until the Week 1 kickoff catching up on, I dunno, contemporary literary fiction. But to hell with that—bring on the meaningless preseason stories! As their harvesting season approaches, we provide is a taxonomy of the seven teams we meet in preseason-hype stories every year:

@theMMQB

NFL preseason tells us very little about a team, but every season we hear these same hype stories… (by @jackdickey)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/08/22/nfl-preseason-2017-hype-stories

In a more sensible world, NFL fans would spend every moment from the Super Bowl trophy presentation until the Week 1 kickoff catching up on, I dunno, contemporary literary fiction.

Fans would spend every moment reading contemporary literature and sports columnists would have other jobs during offseason like zebras,,,,

THE TEAM THAT RESTORED ORDER BY HIRING AN OVERBEARING COACH: Speaking of Coughlin, he’s head of football operations in Jacksonville now, and he and new head coach Doug Marrone removed the ping-pong table from the Jaguars’ locker room this offseason. Not to be outdone, new Bills boss Sean McDermott removed the locker room’s pool and air hockey tables and its video game setup. (Though he kept the ping-pong table.)

Such behavior demonstrates nothing more than a new head coach’s commitment to humorlessness—teams can win with or without mild amusement in the locker room. That said, if the Jaguars and Bills meet in the AFC championship game, and both teams credit the absence of petty locker-room distractions, I will gladly let a red-faced Tom Coughlin berate me for hours on end.

Definitely agree with that. It's fine if you actually need the space for something more important, but if the reason is just "because I'm a hard ass and we don't play games here," then it's stupid. I don't think that method works as well as it used to.