The first 48 hours of FA

Doesn't it seem a little odd that seemingly only in the first few days of free agency do teams spend huge amounts of money without seeing or working out or talking to these players in length in person? Later on in FA, they bring the guys in and work them out. During the season whenever they look at a player they bring them in and talk to them and work them out. For the draft they attend the combine or the player's individual workouts and talk to them or work them out. Perhaps that's why a lot of these guys are busts. Granted, the lower end drafties are flyers, where they couldn't possibly see all the workouts of these guys, but then again, after round 1 or 2 you're really not shelling out serious cash or expecting much.

Doesn't it seem a little odd that seemingly only in the first few days of free agency do teams spend huge amounts of money without seeing or working out or talking to these players in length in person? Later on in FA, they bring the guys in and work them out. During the season whenever they look at a player they bring them in and talk to them and work them out. For the draft they attend the combine or the player's individual workouts and talk to them or work them out. Perhaps that's why a lot of these guys are busts. Granted, the lower end drafties are flyers, where they couldn't possibly see all the workouts of these guys, but then again, after round 1 or 2 you're really not shelling out serious cash or expecting much.

260924[/snapback]

Granted there are players out there who are overhyped, but for the most part "name" players are "name" players for a reason.

Granted there are players out there who are overhyped, but for the most part "name" players are "name" players for a reason.

261002[/snapback]

Mostly due to past rep and inflated worth. Otherwise, most wouldn't be Unrestricted Free Agents.

Mostly due to past rep and inflated worth. Otherwise, most wouldn't be Unrestricted Free Agents.

261016[/snapback]

The salary cap hurts that statemtent a bit. I think a lot of the name players would be kept by there teams if they could afford it. Much like Jonas and Pat.

I will say that I think a lot of players are overated due to the fact that their success is often directly related to the particular system they play in and the other players around them.

Jeff Posey is a good example of this. He played much better in the 3-4 than he has in the 4-3. You can also look at a lot of recent Bills FA's that have failed when they have gone to new teams.

When all is said and done, players would be able to have much better careers if they just stayed with the teams that made them famous. Of course for them, the main reason to play that well is to get the highest pay day possible, so...

The salary cap hurts that statemtent a bit.  I think a lot of the name players would be kept by there teams if they could afford it.  Much like Jonas and Pat.

I will say that I think a lot of players are overated due to the fact that their success is often directly related to the particular system they play in and the other players around them.

Jeff Posey is a good example of this.  He played much better in the 3-4 than he has in the 4-3.  You can also look at a lot of recent Bills FA's that have failed when they have gone to new teams.

When all is said and done, players would be able to have much better careers if they just stayed with the teams that made them famous.  Of course for them, the main reason to play that well is to get the highest pay day possible, so...

261030[/snapback]

First, there is a big difference between teams unable to afford players, and that team unwilling to afford players for that amount of money. We could have signed either JJ or PW if we really wanted to, we simply didn't think they were worth the money that they wanted or could get from other teams.

I agree with you that most players would be better off staying with their teams, but that is not likely in today's NFL, and for however much we complain about it, it is by far the best sport going, and by far the most fair to the cities and teams and ownership and players.

Jeff Posey, however, was not a good example in my opinion. He wasn't better on the Texans in the 3-4 at all. He has not only played a lot better than given credit for here, but 70-80% of his sacks the year before we got him at Houston were when he played as a down lineman or at least on the LOS in a pass defense in a 4 man front, and not as an outside backer in a 3-4.