Will Trump pardon Joe Arpaio tonight ?

ALF

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are just angry that this racist is not being treated fair, somehow

The road to Nazism is paved with nonsense

I don't actually give him a second thought.

I am disturbed that every damn bad act in this country has to be cast as "racist." For the same reason I'm disturbed that every crime is called "terrorism." When everything is racism/terrorism, then nothing is.

Gotta love the way "convicted for criminal contempt" somehow morphed into "convicted of being a racist" in less than a month.

The thing was always a get Capone on tax charges concept. They went after him like that for being a scumbag racist. Then he played into their hands by flaunting himself. So if you want to say that Capone wasn't a murderer because he was arrested for taxes, please do. ;)

I don't actually give him a second thought.

I am disturbed that every damn bad act in this country has to be cast as "racist." For the same reason I'm disturbed that every crime is called "terrorism." When everything is racism/terrorism, then nothing is.

Sure, sure

Specifically choosing only Mexicans and putting them in a specific place of a jail under the worst conditions than other prisoners with worse crimes is not racist?

All conditions in the prison were equally abysmal. When it's 140 degrees it's 140 degrees. The diets were the same, the conditions, were the same, the clothing was the same. Segregation of a certain type of criminal is not racist.

Contempt for???

Failing to stop enforcing immigration law.

I know where you're going...as we peel this onion, we get down to a civil finding by DOJ that he was engaged in racial profiling. A civil finding four steps removed from a bench trial for criminal contempt of court does not equal a conviction for criminal racism, you dolt.

No one's arguing that he's not a piece of ****.

But that article gave several examples of racist piece of ****, along with just your garden variety abhorrent inhuman piece of ****.

All conditions in the prison were equally abysmal. When it's 140 degrees it's 140 degrees. The diets were the same, the conditions, were the same, the clothing was the same. Segregation of a certain type of criminal is not racist.

Not all of it was like that. Just "where we keep the Mexicans." He paraded the Latinos in the old time uniforms and chain gangs.

But that article gave several examples of racist piece of ****, along with just your garden variety abhorrent inhuman piece of ****.

Your article gave several examples of individual acts of racism by employees of Maricopa County's prison system, but gave zero examples of racism by Arpaio.

In fact, it's often necessary.

The thing was always a get Capone on tax charges concept. They went after him like that for being a scumbag racist. Then he played into their hands by flaunting himself. So if you want to say that Capone wasn't a murderer because he was arrested for taxes, please do. ;)

No...but I will say Capone was never convicted of murder. He was convicted of tax evasion. What gatorman is doing, by way of your analogy, is arguing that Capone was a convicted murderer because he was convicted of a crime AND was a murderer.

I'll also point out the fact that your analogy breaks down because unlike murder, racism isn't a criminal complaint. Unless you're arguing that the authorities were pursuing Arpaio to put him in jail for being a racist piece of ****...which actually supports the idea that he was a political prisoner, since "being a racist piece of ****" is not a criminal act.

Failing to stop enforcing immigration law.

I know where you're going...as we peel this onion, we get down to a civil finding by DOJ that he was engaged in racial profiling. A civil finding four steps removed from a bench trial for criminal contempt of court does not equal a conviction for criminal racism, you dolt.

He's a government official abusing his power. My God, you people would be clawing at the holes in your asses if a Democrat was abusing people's rights, or even if they thought about it, for that matter

No...but I will say Capone was never convicted of murder. He was convicted of tax evasion. What gatorman is doing, by way of your analogy, is arguing that Capone was a convicted murderer because he was convicted of a crime AND was a murderer.

I'll also point out the fact that your analogy breaks down because unlike murder, racism isn't a criminal complaint. Unless you're arguing that the authorities were pursuing Arpaio to put him in jail for being a racist piece of ****...which actually supports the idea that he was a political prisoner, since "being a racist piece of ****" is not a criminal act.

Rabbit hole time

"Want to see the tent where all the Mexicans are?" Arpaio asks in a conspiratorial whisper. "Huh?"

The curtain is back open. And so here we are in the triple-digit heat, entering the sheriff's Tent City, where thousands of inmates he and deputies have picked up live in the open, biding their time for misdemeanors ranging from drunk driving to street-level drug dealing. "August 2nd, 1993, right here," Arpaio says, poking a bit of gravel with his foot where he broke ground on the site. "My favorite spot."

From the start, the jail was notorious for its minimalist living conditions, which Arpaio says have saved Maricopa County millions of dollars in building and operational costs. Arpaio fed prisoners two meals a day (valued at 30 cents each), banned cigarettes and coffee, and boasted that temperatures in the summer can hit 141 degrees. His constituents lapped it up, and the national press came calling. Arpaio brought back chain gangs and paraded prisoners through the streets to be jeered at. In 1996, he published his first book, America's Toughest Sheriff, which was praised by Sen. John McCain as "no-nonsense."

Flanked by Arpaio's two large body men, we pass through a series of jail yards, first for the women (where one of Arpaio's deputies warns me, "Remember that you're a married man heh heh"), then for the male prisoners, who idle torpidly in the shade. Inside Arpaio's jails, according to the federal lawsuit, guards refer to Latino inmates as "wetbacks," "Mexican bitches," "stupid Mexicans" and "!@#$ing Mexicans." Female prisoners, the suit claims, were forced to sleep in their own menstrual blood; officers refused to respond to the inmates' pleas because they were made in Spanish. Meanwhile, Arpaio's jailers allegedly circulated e-mail images of a Chihuahua in a bathing suit, calling it "a rare photo of a Mexican Navy Seal."

As the prisoners recognize Arpaio, he pulls out a pen and offers to sign autographs on postcards that show him playing with puppy dogs in an air-conditioned part of the jail. Some of the women inmates take him up on the offer. When one woman says she's in for selling drugs for one of the Mexican cartels, Arpaio brightens. "Do they know me?" he asks.

In the tents reserved for "the illegals," I meet a young inmate originally from Chiapas, Mexico, who tells me through an interpreter that he's been working in the U.S. since 1996. Many members of his immediate family are American citizens, but he now faces deportation over a drunk-driving charge. Other men chime in with similar tales. Arpaio steps inside and proudly holds up a digital thermometer to show me that it is 128 degrees inside the tent.

so you being from AZ makes you an expert on this? What if someone is from prison? Do they one up you?

Fine, guys. If you don't believe specifically targeting brown people, pulling brown people over without cause, and holding them in jail until they prove their citizenship even if they have valid driver's licenses is not racist, when many of them are actual citizens, that is your right. You think he's making America white again. Seems reasonable to do that right?

This is another nice one. And it's mostly Latinas filing these complaints...

But Arpaio began to make other enemies, including legal ones. The jail system run by Arpaio was hit with a staggering number of lawsuits by inmates and their families. From 2004 through November 2007, Sheriff Joe and his jails were targeted by 2,150 lawsuits, some of which alleged brutality against inmates, the Phoenix New Times reported.

To put this in perspective, the Phoenix New Times noted that the jail systems in New York, Houston, and Chicago combined were hit with 43 lawsuits that same period.

Not all of it was like that. Just "where we keep the Mexicans." He paraded the Latinos in the old time uniforms and chain gangs.

Yes, all of it was like that. They all wore old time prison uniforms and pink underwear, they all worked in chain gangs. They all ate stale/moldy bologna sandwiches and drank warm hard water from the tap. They all suffered in 140 degree heat with zero amenities.

Fine, guys. If you don't believe specifically targeting brown people, pulling brown people over without cause, and holding them in jail until they prove their citizenship even if they have valid driver's licenses is not racist, when many of them are actual citizens, that is your right. You think he's making America white again. Seems reasonable to do that right?

But Arpaio began to make other enemies, including legal ones. The jail system run by Arpaio was hit with a staggering number of lawsuits by inmates and their families. From 2004 through November 2007, Sheriff Joe and his jails were targeted by 2,150 lawsuits, some of which alleged brutality against inmates, the Phoenix New Times reported.

To put this in perspective, the Phoenix New Times noted that the jail systems in New York, Houston, and Chicago combined were hit with 43 lawsuits that same period.

Profiling is not only a legitimate tool of law enforcement, it is a necessary tool of law enforcement; and your charge of "pulling over brown people with no cause" is an empty charge.

But they were after the racist piece of **** for both crimes and just regular piece of schitism. So it was for both political and legal reasons and one only needs the legal reasons to be the criminal piece of ****.

Yes, all of it was like that. They all wore old time prison uniforms and pink underwear, they all worked in chain gangs. They all ate stale/moldy bologna sandwiches and drank warm hard water from the tap. They all suffered in 140 degree heat with zero amenities.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/2009/02/05/chained-immigrants-paraded-arizona-sheriff

That is what I was referring to when said special Latino part of Tent City. The part with the electric fence.

I think the important thing about Arpaio's pardon is what it means at this moment in this country. Who is happy about it? Why did Trump go out of his way to do this at this time? It doesn't matter so much whether Arpaio is a racist (he is), but what he represents to people. This is Trump throwing a bone to a segment of his base that he will never disavow as long as there is some political advantage to be milked from it.

you're incredibly biased and blind

You don't know prison life

Or inmates

Specifically choosing only Mexicans and putting them in a specific place of a jail under the worst conditions than other prisoners with worse crimes is not racist?

Well God specifically chose Canadians and put them in a tundra under the worst conditions. Is God a racist?