Will Trump pardon Joe Arpaio tonight ?

ALF

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rules change when the Dems are in charge, then they just go after people they don't like and make up whatever works to convict them.

And it works the same when the GOP is in charge, but it won't be for intangibles like racism or being mean to people.

The rules change when the Dems are in charge, then they just go after people they don't like and make up whatever works to convict them.

And it works the same when the GOP is in charge, but it won't be for intangibles like racism or being mean to people.

Actually, this guy deserves jail time, not a pardon. Pretty sure the action again this person started under Bush

He was convicted of using racist law enforcement practices. Using the government to deny people's civil and constitutional rights based on their race. No wonder so many Republicans love him

No, he was convicted of contempt of court. And denied a trial by jury, no less.

Don't know if he's racist or not...but I am hearing far more "generic !@#$" stories about him than I am "racist" stories.

"Want to see the tent where all the Mexicans are?" Arpaio asks in a conspiratorial whisper. "Huh?"

The curtain is back open. And so here we are in the triple-digit heat, entering the sheriff's Tent City, where thousands of inmates he and deputies have picked up live in the open, biding their time for misdemeanors ranging from drunk driving to street-level drug dealing. "August 2nd, 1993, right here," Arpaio says, poking a bit of gravel with his foot where he broke ground on the site. "My favorite spot."

From the start, the jail was notorious for its minimalist living conditions, which Arpaio says have saved Maricopa County millions of dollars in building and operational costs. Arpaio fed prisoners two meals a day (valued at 30 cents each), banned cigarettes and coffee, and boasted that temperatures in the summer can hit 141 degrees. His constituents lapped it up, and the national press came calling. Arpaio brought back chain gangs and paraded prisoners through the streets to be jeered at. In 1996, he published his first book, America's Toughest Sheriff, which was praised by Sen. John McCain as "no-nonsense."

Flanked by Arpaio's two large body men, we pass through a series of jail yards, first for the women (where one of Arpaio's deputies warns me, "Remember that you're a married man heh heh"), then for the male prisoners, who idle torpidly in the shade. Inside Arpaio's jails, according to the federal lawsuit, guards refer to Latino inmates as "wetbacks," "Mexican bitches," "stupid Mexicans" and "!@#$ing Mexicans." Female prisoners, the suit claims, were forced to sleep in their own menstrual blood; officers refused to respond to the inmates' pleas because they were made in Spanish. Meanwhile, Arpaio's jailers allegedly circulated e-mail images of a Chihuahua in a bathing suit, calling it "a rare photo of a Mexican Navy Seal."

As the prisoners recognize Arpaio, he pulls out a pen and offers to sign autographs on postcards that show him playing with puppy dogs in an air-conditioned part of the jail. Some of the women inmates take him up on the offer. When one woman says she's in for selling drugs for one of the Mexican cartels, Arpaio brightens. "Do they know me?" he asks.

In the tents reserved for "the illegals," I meet a young inmate originally from Chiapas, Mexico, who tells me through an interpreter that he's been working in the U.S. since 1996. Many members of his immediate family are American citizens, but he now faces deportation over a drunk-driving charge. Other men chime in with similar tales. Arpaio steps inside and proudly holds up a digital thermometer to show me that it is 128 degrees inside the tent.

None of that demonstrates racism by Arpaio. None of it.

payback will be the bigger B word when the GOP can inflict it.... can't wait...

Gotta love the way "convicted for criminal contempt" somehow morphed into "convicted of being a racist" in less than a month.

These days anyone who points fingers about someone being a racist is worth laughing at and ignoring otherwise.

It's lost any meaning.

Gotta love the way "convicted for criminal contempt" somehow morphed into "convicted of being a racist" in less than a month.

As I said earlier, Arpaio was going to be a political prisoner had he not been pardoned.

That is incredibly scary, regardless of your personal opinions about Arpaio.

Because the jail time was going to be six months or less.

And he was convicted partly on his own words, bragging numerous times he was going to openly defy the court order.

I'm not arguing that the conviction was unfair. I'm arguing that the claim he was "convicted of using racist law enforcement practices" is total, disingenuous bull ****.

And there should be no exception to a defendant's constitutional right to trial by jury. I'm okay with the defendant waiving that right - I'm not okay with the state waiving it under any circumstances.

Don't know if he's racist or not...but I am hearing far more "generic !@#$" stories about him than I am "racist" stories.

He's racist because the Swedish Bikini Team weren't the illegal aliens he was going after when enforcing state/federal immigration laws.

He was convicted of using racist law enforcement practices. Using the government to deny people's civil and constitutional rights based on their race. No wonder so many Republicans love him

No he wasn't.

As I said earlier, Arpaio was going to be a political prisoner had he not been pardoned.

The judge was unlikely going to give a prison sentence to an 85 year old man.

I'm not arguing that the conviction was unfair. I'm arguing that the claim he was "convicted of using racist law enforcement practices" is total, disingenuous bull ****.

And there should be no exception to a defendant's constitutional right to trial by jury. I'm okay with the defendant waiving that right - I'm not okay with the state waiving it under any circumstances.

You are just angry that this racist is not being treated fair, somehow

The road to Nazism is paved with nonsense