Looks like TD is going the cheap route...

With the salary cap the way it is, it looks like TD is going to go the 'cheaper' route and that means waiting (about 2 weeks or even June 1 cuts) for the initial signings of players get out of the way and TD will start sifting through the remaining players out there to try and fill the holes that the team currently has. These guys might not necessarily be upgrades, but they will be serviceable players to fill the position.

Also, another reason to be frugal is that IMO TD really wants to resign Clements this or next year, and to do this he will need the salary cap space to sign him. With that in mind, he couldn't pay Phat Pat and JJ because it would have then made it almost impossible to keep Clements. Out of those 3 players I would want to keep Clements anyways. TD always needs to keep the future in mind for the Bills. We can all talk about how we need a guy this year, but TD *hopefully* is keeping a watchful eye 2,3 years down the road.

I think that TDs master plan still hasn't been fulfilled yet. It would be to have enough depth from drafting (having players already in the wings waiting) and frugal free agent pickups that if a player doesn't want to play at what TD considers a good cap friendly contract then that player can hit the road. I think TD is still bringing up the talent level for the team up to that. When he first got to Buffalo he had to purge alot of players because of Butler's cap economics and bit the bullet salary cap and player personnel wise.

Breakdown of team and hopefully what will happen.

Starter, Reserve

QB Losman, Matthews?

RB1 McGahee, Henry?

WR Moulds, Aiken

WR Evans, ?

WR Reed, ?

TE Campbell (Hurt), Euhus (Hurt)

LT ?

LG Ross

C Teague

RG Villarrial

RT MWilliams

Backups: McFarland, Sobieski, LSmith.

LDE Kelsay, Denney

DT Adams, ?

DT Edwards?, Anderson

RDE Schobel, Ritzmann

SLB Posey, Stamer

MLB Fletcher, Haggans

WLB Spikes, Crowell

CB Clements, K Thomas

CB McGee, J Greer

SS Milloy, Wire, Prileau

FS Vincent, Baker

P Moorman

PK Lindell

Looking over the positions, we need a backup QB, RB (when Henry leaves), WR, TE (possibly), LT, OL help, DT, CB, PK.

That's 9 positions that is would be helpful to upgrade or at least have someone man the position. So, putting them in order I would have to go

LT, OL help, CB, PK, RB, WR, DT, QB, TE.

1) I think the trade for Shelton is going to go to Buffalo. No team is offering AZ more than a 6th round pick for Shelton and Buffalo is more than going the extra mile than any other team. We could also pick up their other RT for a 5th (I read that somewhere). So this should solidify the line some.

2) Alot of people are talking that the LG position needs an upgrade. We will either get a journeyman to compete or start and get a player out of the draft for depth.

3) A CB is needed in the draft for depth and to take Clements place if he bolts.

4) PK - I really like Nugent in this spot. He would solidify this team, IMO.

5) RB - Draft a RB for reserve.

6) WR - Cheap journeyman and/or later draft pick.

7) DT - A cheap journeyman to put in the rotation or a late draft pick/street FA for depth.

8) QB - Hopefully Shane Matthews will be the backup. If not, we will get a journeyman.

9) TE - I think we are going to be ok at the is position, but it might not be bad to bring in someone to compete for the job w/ the others.