Beane kept news of Sammy Watkins deal from Sean McDermott.

JM2009

Trading your best young player for a draft pick is some vision.

We have fans have no choice but to wait and see, but this will blow up in their face IMO.

Ok, I'm a big fan of Watkins (and vocally advocated drafting both he and Darby before the Bills even had them), but they didn't just get draft picks in these trades. Essentially, they got two guys of approximate same age and experience who have accomplished similar results in the league, and now have as many as seven picks next year in the first 100 in what some have contended to be the best draft class in years.

Are the ceilings of Watkins and Darby higher than Matthews and Gaines? Almost certainly. That's the chance you take in a trade like this. Could it blow up in the Bills' faces? yes, I agree. If they win at least 9 games this year (which is way more possible than people on this board think, IMO) and acquire good players with the picks, then I don't care what Watkins and Darby do. In fact, I like both players, so I wish them well.

Maybe it's not visionary, but it's definitely intriguing, and feels like the sort of trade the Pats would have made.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, technically he waited until after the game to tell him a tentative deal was in place and get he and Pegula's alignment to pull the trigger. But the Rams GM said yesterday that they first started calling about Sammy right after the Bills declined his 5th year option, and had been in talks ever since. So McD certainly was aware this was a consideration and would have had to be on board with at least the possibility. They said things heated up in the last week so I'm pretty sure they designed those plays to Sammy to show the Rams he was healthy.

Thanks for saving me all that typing. It's not like McD had no idea it might happen. He didn't have to be in on last minute details.

This is soo wrong.......... Should be everyone working not just one person.......... Beane is getting lower on my list. McDermott needs to know lots. Keep him in the shadow only things going to be much worse..

Ehh this trades have been in the works since beginning of training camp. McDermott knew is was a possbility and Beane probably didnt wanna distract Sean a within hours of his 1st ever game as HC. Thats why Beane agreed tentively so he can still get Seans opinion on the deal after the game but not distract him before hand

Edited by Kmart128

He never said that he didn't discuss whether Sammy fit into their long term plans, or the possibility of trading him. He just said that he didn't tell him there was a potential trade pending right before his first ever game as a head coach.

I can almost guarantee that they discussed Sammy's future with the team long before that trade ever happened. They had been getting trade calls since spring when McDermott decided not to pick up Sammy's 5th year option.

Plus Beane, McDermott and Pegula discussed the trade for hours after the game and they all came to a decision together. It was not just Beane doing it on his own.

This.

So why all the dramatics? They came together and made the decision together...jeez...let's create the illusion of a rift.

This.

So why all the dramatics? They came together and made the decision together...jeez...let's create the illusion of a rift.

Some people seem to think it's part of the "Bills fan job description". You have to wonder if they are like that in all aspects of life? Or do they just save it for us?

It was a good trade. He was injured all the time. He is the hot sports car always in the shop.

Beane was just facing reality and doing his job.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don’t care what’s going on over there. I don’t care if he’s open. When I get one on one, just target me."

“As I watch film, I even said we need to go to (receiver Robert) Woods more – he’s open every play. But as a wide receiver, you want to get 10 targets, you want to see what you can do. You want to help your team out as much as you can. But that goes to say Woods needs 10 targets too, he needs the ball too. Clay needs the ball too."

calls fans "losers" who are "working y'all little jobs for the rest of y'all lives"

"We gotta get paid more I'm pretty sure 2014 class will change the market"

Jan 1, 2017 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture Watkins needed a 2nd surgery to repair his injured foot. Nov 30, 2016 NFL Pedal Foot Bruise Watkins made the injury report with a chronic sore left foot, but did not miss a game. Sep 15, 2016 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture Watkins hasn't recovered fully from his offseason foot surgery. He missed 8 games before getting back on the field. May 1, 2016 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture Watkins fractured his foot in preseason training and needed a screw inserted. Oct 18, 2015 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Watkins sprained his left ankle on a TD reception and missed the next 2 games. Sep 27, 2015 NFL Leg Calf Strain Watkins suffered a fairly mild strain to his left calf against the Dolphins, but he did miss 2 games. Aug 17, 2015 NFL Thigh Glute Strain A preseason thigh injury ("sore glute") caused Watkins to miss 3 preseason games leading into the 2015 regular season. Nov 30, 2014 NFL Inguinal Hip Tear Watkins had minor surgery to fix a slight tear in the labrum in his hip. Nov 5, 2014 NFL Inguinal Groin Pull Grade 1 Watkins had a minor groin pull that did not cost him any playing time. Aug 28, 2014 NFL Chest Rib Bruise Watkins aggravated a previous rib bruise and left the preseason game against the Steelers. Aug 16, 2014 NFL Chest Rib Bruise The rookie had a relatively minor rib bruise that caused him to miss 1 preseason game. Dec 31, 2012 Non-NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 The Clemson star WR was knocked out of the Chick-fil-A Bowl against LSU on the second play of the game with a sprain to his right ankle. Nov 12, 2011 Non-NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain Hurt his right shoulder against Wake Forest and sat out against North Carolina State.

Matthews isn't in the same league as Watkins. He's among the best players on the field when out there.

You don't trade away somebody like that for an unknown draft pick and an average guy on an expiring contract.

We aren't the Patriots. They have the GOAT at QB and Head Coach. They would have the benefit of the doubt if they made this trade. We certainly do not.

Both active players were on expiring contracts. The good one and the average one.

It was a good trade. He was injured all the time. He is the hot sports car always in the shop.

Beane was just facing reality and doing his job.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don’t care what’s going on over there. I don’t care if he’s open. When I get one on one, just target me."

“As I watch film, I even said we need to go to (receiver Robert) Woods more – he’s open every play. But as a wide receiver, you want to get 10 targets, you want to see what you can do. You want to help your team out as much as you can. But that goes to say Woods needs 10 targets too, he needs the ball too. Clay needs the ball too."

calls fans "losers" who are "working y'all little jobs for the rest of y'all lives"

"We gotta get paid more I'm pretty sure 2014 class will change the market"

Jan 1, 2017 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture Watkins needed a 2nd surgery to repair his injured foot. Nov 30, 2016 NFL Pedal Foot Bruise Watkins made the injury report with a chronic sore left foot, but did not miss a game. Sep 15, 2016 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture Watkins hasn't recovered fully from his offseason foot surgery. He missed 8 games before getting back on the field. May 1, 2016 NFL Pedal Foot Fracture Watkins fractured his foot in preseason training and needed a screw inserted. Oct 18, 2015 NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Watkins sprained his left ankle on a TD reception and missed the next 2 games. Sep 27, 2015 NFL Leg Calf Strain Watkins suffered a fairly mild strain to his left calf against the Dolphins, but he did miss 2 games. Aug 17, 2015 NFL Thigh Glute Strain A preseason thigh injury ("sore glute") caused Watkins to miss 3 preseason games leading into the 2015 regular season. Nov 30, 2014 NFL Inguinal Hip Tear Watkins had minor surgery to fix a slight tear in the labrum in his hip. Nov 5, 2014 NFL Inguinal Groin Pull Grade 1 Watkins had a minor groin pull that did not cost him any playing time. Aug 28, 2014 NFL Chest Rib Bruise Watkins aggravated a previous rib bruise and left the preseason game against the Steelers. Aug 16, 2014 NFL Chest Rib Bruise The rookie had a relatively minor rib bruise that caused him to miss 1 preseason game. Dec 31, 2012 Non-NFL Pedal Ankle Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 The Clemson star WR was knocked out of the Chick-fil-A Bowl against LSU on the second play of the game with a sprain to his right ankle. Nov 12, 2011 Non-NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain Hurt his right shoulder against Wake Forest and sat out against North Carolina State.

Pure Exaggerated Nonsense.

But I thought that the McD was the puppet master of it all.

I'm confused.

If true, I am glad that for the most part Beane is making the calls on building the 53 man roster. McD needs to prove himself as a HC, and not be the main man when it comes to trades, waivers, keeping up on ~1500 NFL players, etc...

I don't remember who reported it(might have been Sal), but I chuckled when he said, "before the trade was made, Beane, McD, Kim, Terry & Russ all got together to discuss the move".

Matthews isn't in the same league as Watkins. He's among the best players on the field when out there.

You don't trade away somebody like that for an unknown draft pick and an average guy on an expiring contract.

We aren't the Patriots. They have the GOAT at QB and Head Coach. They would have the benefit of the doubt if they made this trade. We certainly do not.

Still undecided on the whole thing.

Folks acting like the deal was done before the game. A verbal agreement may have been reached, but the deal was not done (or Watkins wouldn't have played). Instead, he played and then the GM brought in the owner and HC to discuss the potential trade. In what world is this going rogue or not working as a team? The deal wasn't officially done until the next morning AFTER McD and Pegula had their input the night before. Way to try and make something out of absolutely nothing.

Edited by Mark80

what happened to the whole one vision

i find it very hard to believe that "successful" operations are trading away their #1 receiver without the coaches knowledge. do you really think things happen this way in NE or GB or even Baltimore?

not to mention, this article displays the exact opposite of "how aligned the HC and GM are". McDermott may be accepting of the trade or complacent, but this wasn't an example of alignment.

for the record, I couldn't care less what the FO does or how they communicate, as long as they build a winner.

Beane didnt trade Sammy away eith out Seans concurrence.

The HC and GM are aligned.

Its been less than a week stop trying to rewrite history.

Talk about over-dramatic reactions, Jeez!! Beane's job is to upgrade the team now and in the future.. Before he went "rogue", he stayed up through the night walking McD and Pegula through these trade scenarios. All three signed off on it! What am i missing?!?