jonas' deal

nodnarb

49ers | Jennings Contract Details - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 3 Mar 2005 07:24:04 -0800

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports the contract signed by San Francisco 49ers OT Jonas Jennings is believed to be worth $36.5 million over seven years, which includes a $12 million signing bonus, according to a league source.

Mark Gaughan, of the Buffalo News, reports the contract signed by San Francisco 49ers OT Jonas Jennings is believed to be worth $36.5 million over seven years, which includes a $12 million signing bonus, according to a league source.

260630[/snapback]

Who's running that team? That's ridiculous money for a second tier LT with injury issues. :(:lol:

Who's running that team? That's ridiculous money for a second tier LT with injury issues.  :(  :lol:

260655[/snapback]

While I agree it is too much, it IS a seven year deal. I was expecting someone to overpay him by dishing out a 10mil bonus for 5 years. This isn't quite as much as I thought.

About 3.5 mil a year base salary isn't too bad either.

Yes, they paid too much, but I wouldn't have been surprised with more.

260630[/snapback]

where is FFS now??

jonas might come crawling back to us at 3-4M per year based on a dry market? it was laughable at the time and it's laughable now.........it's no surprise jonas got his 5M/year........that was the market value going in to this year........

where is FFS now??

jonas might come crawling back to us at 3-4M per year based on a dry market? it was laughable at the time and it's laughable now.........it's no surprise jonas got his 5M/year........that was the market value going in to this year........

260704[/snapback]

Should the Bills have resigned him for that price? They surely could have. Or was TD just being stingy?

Absolutely not!!!!! JJ isn't worth that kind of money based on what he has done so far. That kind of deal could have strapped the Bills for several years.

Should the Bills have resigned him for that price? They surely could have. Or was TD just being stingy?

260752[/snapback]

260752[/snapback]

much like indy, we should have paid to keep our young starting tackle in house........not the popluar opinion around here as it goes against TD's strategy, but obviously polian believes in it.........

much like indy, we should have paid to keep our young starting tackle in house........not the popluar opinion around here as it goes against TD's strategy, but obviously polian believes in it.........

260839[/snapback]

Just wanted to know that you believe TD should have paid Jonas Jennings a 12 million bonus and 24 more million over 7 years. Fair enough.

Just wanted to know that you believe TD should have paid Jonas Jennings a 12 million bonus and 24 more million over 7 years. Fair enough.

260849[/snapback]

it wouldn't have taken 12M before diem's deal........the market inflated it.........

it wouldn't have taken 12M before diem's deal........the market inflated it.........

260853[/snapback]

As far back as a year ago "the market" on JJ was a 10 mil bonus and 5 million a year. That's not much different at all than a 12 million bonus and 36 mil over 7 years.

As far back as a year ago "the market" on JJ was a 10 mil bonus and 5 million a year. That's not much different at all than a 12 million bonus and 36 mil over 7 years.

260859[/snapback]

it is different, none the less.........that is the result of the contracts that jones, diem, and samuels got........if he signed last summer you can likely chop about 10-15% off the total value and signing bonus, taking in to account jonas getting the signing bonus early and not having to risk injury in his contract year.......

Absolutely not!!!!! JJ isn't worth that kind of money based on what he has done so far.  That kind of deal could have strapped the Bills for several years.

260826[/snapback]

While I agree that JJ is not worth the contract - it wasn't THAT exorbitant. Strap the Bills for years? Assuming the base numbers look something like this - 1st year - $1 million, 2nd year $2 million, 3rd year $4 million, 4th year $4 million, 5th year $4 million, 6th year $4.5 million, 7th year $5 million (total $24.5 million with $12 million signing bonus = $36.5 million). I assume the contract is even more backloaded but we can use these numbers to be conservative.

JJ's cap hit for the 1st year is $2.7 million - quite reasonable.

2nd year - $3.7 million - still reasonable.

3rd through 5th years - $5.7 million - not great but not horrendous.

Assume he gets cut before his 6th year - dead cap of $3.4 million.

I don't think that would strap the Bills for years. If he actually could play every game - a stout left tackle for an average of $5 million a year is a good deal. Of course, given his injury problems - I think the 49'ers overpaid but not as insanely as some teams last year.

it is different, none the less.........that is the result of the contracts that jones, diem, and samuels got........if he signed last summer you can likely chop about 10-15% off the total value and signing bonus, taking in to account jonas getting the signing bonus early and not having to risk injury in his contract year.......

260864[/snapback]

10% off the deal, IF that were true, would have been a 10.8 million bonus and 32.4 million over 7 years, which still would have been too much for JJ.

10% off the deal, IF that were true, would have been a 10.8 million bonus and 32.4 million over 7 years, which still would have been too much for JJ.

260876[/snapback]

you mis-understood..........10% off of the market value for giving him an early sign...........i.e. 9M signing bonus and 31.5M total value.........

you mis-understood..........10% off of the market value for giving him an early sign...........i.e. 9M signing bonus and 31.5M total value.........

260912[/snapback]

We probably could not have done that last summer and still signed Schobel. Remember, he is a FA from this year that the Bills decided they better lock up before he hits the market, which of course would be now. All along we were hoping to sign one, and perhaps two, but very unlikely all three of them. I don't think we could have taken the cap hit for both of those signings, and then Schobel would have been on the loose now and getting way higher offers than we signed him for. It's arguable that we should have locked up Jonas and not Schobel last year but we couldnt have done both. I still think I would rather have Schobel for what we got him for than JJ at 9 mil and 31.5 total.

260630[/snapback]

Thank you TD for not even getting into the bidding. The NFL is getting more like collection of cards/silver/china in that there is someone out there who either has too mch money to spend or, and at least this is rational, has a particular need for that missing piece. In a perfect market JJ is not worth anywhere near 5 million/ year with 12 up front!! Dont panic the sane rule in the long run.