Bledsoe Release

Obviously the big reason we released Bledsoe is because his career was in decline and would never take us to the next level.

But now watching free agency withthe fact that we're not going to sign any top O-lineman, and our o-line has gotten weaker with the loss of JJ, I came to one conclusion.

The Bills had NO CHOICE but to release Drew. He would have gotten KILLED behind what our line is going to be next season. Now I'm not saying we're doomed. I think Mularkey/McNally are going to piece together a line that will play to the strengths of JP and Willis. But with our cap space and the players available, the Bills knew they could not have put together a line to protect Drew.

This is the final piece in the puzzle for any Drew supporters. He would not have had time to throw the ball next year and would not have been put in a position to win. This is why JP gives us the better chance.

JJ wasn't all that, & it's still early.

Just be patient & be thankful that Drew's gone,

when all is said & done, the OL will be fine.

260441[/snapback]

Again...I'm not saying this is bad. I'm saying the line would not have been enough to give Drew the 5 seconds he needs. In fact, 90% of the teams in the NFL don't have that.

Obviously the big reason we released Bledsoe is because his career was in decline and would never take us to the next level.

But now watching free agency withthe fact that we're not going to sign any top O-lineman, and our o-line has gotten weaker with the loss of JJ, I came to one conclusion.

The Bills had NO CHOICE but to release Drew. He would have gotten KILLED behind what our line is going to be next season. Now I'm not saying we're doomed. I think Mularkey/McNally are going to piece together a line that will play to the strengths of JP and Willis. But with our cap space and the players available, the Bills knew they could not have put together a line to protect Drew.

This is the final piece in the puzzle for any Drew supporters. He would not have had time to throw the ball next year and would not have been put in a position to win. This is why JP gives us the better chance.

260425[/snapback]

JJ is not a great loss. The o-line will improve if only because the opponents d-line will not rely upon an immobile statue being back there. Teague to LT Tucker to center Draft a RG or center and leave Tucker at center.

260425[/snapback]

Excellent post. The prospect of a patchwork OL is a bit disheartening, but there's little doubt JP is better-suited to running for his life than Drew.

The o-line will improve if only because the opponents d-line will not rely upon an immobile statue being back there.

That'd be all well and good if not for the fact that, with WM as starter, Bledsoe was sacked less frequently than even Brady.

This statue crap is getting to be worse than the "we threw the ball on 1,833,855 straight 3rd and 2 or less plays" nonesense.

CW

That'd be all well and good if not for the fact that, with WM as starter, Bledsoe was sacked less frequently than even Brady.

This statue crap is getting to be worse than the "we threw the ball on 1,833,855 straight 3rd and 2 or less plays" nonesense.

CW

260507[/snapback]

Oh stop with the facts. Don't you know that JP did better in his 3rd season on Madden therefore he must be better in real life. Maddan is the Holy Grail of football talent evaluation.

260425[/snapback]

I think the Pittsburg game was the final straw for the silver fox. I don't think the decision had anything to do with their offseason offensive line projections.

Teague to LT Tucker to center Draft a RG or center and leave Tucker at center.

260486[/snapback]

While I'm having trouble parsing this sentence :doh: I think I get your meaning.

All things being equal, it's better to fill in one spot (LT) as opposed to moving pieces around and being forced to fill in multiple spots. But, if you have to do it...

LT Teague

LG ?? (But easier to find than a LT)

C Tucker

RG Villarial

RT Williams

wouldn't be too bad. IIRC, Tucker played pretty well when Teague was out last year. The right side of the line is solid and I wouldn't touch it.

I'll throw a shot in this thread before it degenerates into the usual Bledsoe sux/Bledsoe wasn't the problem fiasco.

BillsNYC is partially right in that MM & co did not make a full run at JJ because they have alternate plans for the OL. But, it does not mean that they conceded in January that the line would suck and they needed a QB who could effectively elude a jailbreak.

The decision to cut Bledsoe loose was irrespective of what McNally is going to do with the line. Bledsoe was cut because he reinforced the prevailing view that he's a one-dimensional QB, and he probably landed with the only coach in the NFL who could get more than mediocre production out of him.

As to reading the tea leaves for the makeup of the Bills' OL in '05, the Shelton situation is an interesting one, but not likely to have played much of a role in lack of pursuit of JJ. If we look at the solid lines that McNally developed in the NFL, he only had all-world Munoz in Cincy. The units that were molded in Carolina & NY hardly had any household names on the OL.

Which brings us to the whole reason why McNally was hired. Bills have not had a dominating line since 1992, and that coincides with the last vestiges of training by Jim Ringo. If you look around the league, the successful offenses are usually led by very good OLs that don't always have the luxury of Paces & Ogdens. As such, in NYG McNally was able to patch together a dominating line of over the hill castoffs that carried the offense to the SuperBowl.

I chuckle when I read that Bills may take a look at a stop gap like Bob Whitfield or hearing that 10-yr vets like Scott Gragg are aged. Bull crap. Glenn Parker was deemed washed up when he left here, and he was a solid contributor to the Giants 5 yrs later. Jumbo Elliott was not a LT liability for Jets in his 13 yr in the league.

There are some players that were born to be OLs, and having 10 years on the odometer should not scare teams away. At least, I'm confident that it won't scare McNally.

So while, you're pouring salty tears in your oatmeal, I'm sitting back and waiting for the roster to be developed by people who understand it a little bit more than I do.

I'll throw a shot in this thread before it degenerates into the usual Bledsoe sux/Bledsoe wasn't the problem fiasco.

BillsNYC is partially right in that MM & co did not make a full run at JJ because they have alternate plans for the OL.  But, it does not mean that they conceded in January that the line would suck and they needed a QB who could effectively elude a jailbreak. 

The decision to cut Bledsoe loose was irrespective of what McNally is going to do with the line.  Bledsoe was cut because he reinforced the prevailing view that he's a one-dimensional QB, and he probably landed with the only coach in the NFL who could get more than mediocre production out of him.

As to reading the tea leaves for the makeup of the Bills' OL in '05, the Shelton situation is an interesting one, but not likely to have played much of a role in lack of pursuit of JJ.  If we look at the solid lines that McNally developed in the NFL, he only had all-world Munoz in Cincy.  The units that were molded in Carolina & NY hardly had any household names on the OL.

Which brings us to the whole reason why McNally was hired.  Bills have not had a dominating line since 1992, and that coincides with the last vestiges of training by Jim Ringo.  If you look around the league, the successful offenses are usually led by very good OLs that don't always have the luxury of Paces & Ogdens.  As such, in NYG McNally was able to patch together a dominating line of over the hill castoffs that carried the offense to the SuperBowl.

I chuckle when I read that Bills may take a look at a stop gap like Bob Whitfield or hearing that 10-yr vets like Scott Gragg are aged.  Bull crap.  Glenn Parker was deemed washed up when he left here, and he was a solid contributor to the Giants 5 yrs later.  Jumbo Elliott was not a LT liability for Jets in his 13 yr in the league.

There are some players that were born to be OLs, and having 10 years on the odometer should not scare teams away.  At least, I'm confident that it won't scare McNally.

So while, you're pouring salty tears in your oatmeal, I'm sitting back and waiting for the roster to be developed by people who understand it a little bit more than I do.

260558[/snapback]

halleluhia! or however you spell that! im confident that oline will be fine. lets see what they do.

BillsNYC is partially right in that MM & co did not make a full run at JJ because they have alternate plans for the OL.  But, it does not mean that they conceded in January that the line would suck and they needed a QB who could effectively elude a jailbreak. 

The decision to cut Bledsoe loose was irrespective of what McNally is going to do with the line.  Bledsoe was cut because he reinforced the prevailing view that he's a one-dimensional QB, and he probably landed with the only coach in the NFL who could get more than mediocre production out of him.

As to reading the tea leaves for the makeup of the Bills' OL in '05, the Shelton situation is an interesting one, but not likely to have played much of a role in lack of pursuit of JJ.  If we look at the solid lines that McNally developed in the NFL, he only had all-world Munoz in Cincy.  The units that were molded in Carolina & NY hardly had any household names on the OL.

Which brings us to the whole reason why McNally was hired.  Bills have not had a dominating line since 1992, and that coincides with the last vestiges of training by Jim Ringo.  If you look around the league, the successful offenses are usually led by very good OLs that don't always have the luxury of Paces & Ogdens.  As such, in NYG McNally was able to patch together a dominating line of over the hill castoffs that carried the offense to the SuperBowl.

I chuckle when I read that Bills may take a look at a stop gap like Bob Whitfield or hearing that 10-yr vets like Scott Gragg are aged.  Bull crap.  Glenn Parker was deemed washed up when he left here, and he was a solid contributor to the Giants 5 yrs later.  Jumbo Elliott was not a LT liability for Jets in his 13 yr in the league.

There are some players that were born to be OLs, and having 10 years on the odometer should not scare teams away.  At least, I'm confident that it won't scare McNally.

260558[/snapback]

Good post, GG. Not to mention that the Bills will be changing the offense to be built around JP. They want him to roll out and throw on the run, and do a lot of the things on the move. That type of offense seems to rely on a type of OL. Slow fat guys who hold their position may be great for drop back passers but not as strong for guys you want to use moving pockets with. I guarantee that TD and Modrak and Guy and MM and TC and McNally have been talking on a daily basis about what type of OT or OG or C they are targeting, and not just saying Player X or Player Y is good. That is also true of our own players. That is why Tucker may be our C and TT may be our LT. Because a quick and smart LT may be more important to our style of play next year than a big load. For all we know, they may think Jason Peters could be a stud and are just going to groom him in 2005 the entire year for 2006 and just need Teague to play LT for one season. The idea that the Bills brass are just sitting on their hands or just waiting is ludicrous.

[Making buzzer sound]

So, you risk Losman behind a weak O-line and potentially get BOTH his legs broken? While Bledsoe has been durable throughout his career, and if you lose him, hey, you still have Losman? Makes sense to me! :(

All I can say is, I hope the Bills are letting McNally run the show WRT the O-line and that it's BETTER than it was last year. Otherwise JP is going to get killed. :lol:

[Making buzzer sound]

So, you risk Losman behind a weak O-line and potentially get BOTH his legs broken?  While Bledsoe has been durable throughout his career, and if you lose him, hey, you still have Losman?  Makes sense to me! :(

All I can say is, I hope the Bills are letting McNally run the show WRT the O-line and that it's BETTER than it was last year.  Otherwise JP is going to get killed. :lol:

260698[/snapback]

I thought the line played rather well the last 8-9 games of the season.

Good post, GG. Not to mention that the Bills will be changing the offense to be built around JP. They want him to roll out and throw on the run, and do a lot of the things on the move. That type of offense seems to rely on a type of OL. Slow fat guys who hold their position may be great for drop back passers but not as strong for guys you want to use moving pockets with. I guarantee that TD and Modrak and Guy and MM and TC and McNally have been talking on a daily basis about what type of OT or OG or C they are targeting, and not just saying Player X or Player Y is good. That is also true of our own players. That is why Tucker may be our C and TT may be our LT. Because a quick and smart LT may be more important to our style of play next year than a big load. For all we know, they may think Jason Peters could be a stud and are just going to groom him in 2005 the entire year for 2006 and just need Teague to play LT for one season. The idea that the Bills brass are just sitting on their hands or just waiting is ludicrous.

260658[/snapback]

Peters is feeble minded, however, he does have the assets to become a viable option at LT (6' 4", 325, 4.7 40) and I think they (Mouse, MM) have a plan to groom him into a solid O-Lineman. Tucker @ LG and TT @ C.