Bills trade Sammy Watkins to Rams for CB Gaines, 2nd rd pick

Roundybout

I didnt take it as blaming the player. A lot goes into signability. Including the team's willingness to invest the resources that player will demand for the position he plays. "Lack of signability" could mean that the team didn't value him as high as his market price.

Do you think the majority of bills fans (any teams fans) hear that phrase and jump to a layered nuanced evaluation or do they tend to go "greedy player!"

I didnt take it as blaming the player. A lot goes into signability. Including the team's willingness to invest the resources that player will demand for the position he plays. "Lack of signability" could mean that the team didn't value him as high as his market price.

Right and that's why signability comes from the team down not the player up. The team decides signability in the NFL. The NBA is a little different at the moment.

Just because you tank and get the top few pick does not guarantee a franchies QB....Just check with the Rams, Jaguars.

No there is no guarantee. But as long as you dont have one, getting one should be your main focus.

Do you think the majority of bills fans (any teams fans) hear that phrase and jump to a layered nuanced evaluation or do they tend to go "greedy player!"

Are you asking me if I'm aware that most people are idiots©?

©DC Tom

No there is no guarantee. But as long as you dont have one, getting one should be your main focus.

Are you asking me if I'm aware that most people are idiots©?

©DC Tom

Well, if you think beane is aware and played to that in his phrasing. Because I think he was intentional in that (not meant as a knock on him, just discussing a reality that he's also a PR guy framing a short term loss as a win

Well, if you think beane is aware and played to that in his phrasing. Because I think he was intentional in that (not meant as a knock on him, just discussing a reality that he's also a PR guy framing a short term loss as a win

Sure thing, I dont necessarily disagree. It was an accurate and yet innocuous term. Kudos to him for dancing well in front of the media. I also caught he threw a "Good to see you Jerry" at I believe Sully on his way out. :lol:

We had garbage at QB when we drafted him so his production was never going to live up to his draft status. And with his injury history and contract status I'm not sure we could have gotten more of a return for him. We got what I imagine will be a high 2nd round pick

The price paid in draft currency to select Watkins insured that trading the player would never produce value in return. The only way the Bills could come close to value on investment was if Watkins became a star WR that produced on the field. The best course of action was to pick up SW 5th year option and see what happened in 2017 and 2018. A trade only guaranteed that two first round picks ( and now quite possibly a2nd round pick) were wasted. That is the outcome chosen by the Bills brain trust.

I have a question for fans of this trade:

Do we think that Belichick is unhappy that he has to game plan against Jordan Matthews/Zay Jones/Anquan Boldin instead of Watkins?

Probably no more than he was to have to gameplan around Watkins.

Do we think that Belichick is unhappy that he has to game plan against Jordan Matthews/Zay Jones/Anquan Boldin instead of Watkins?

So I looked up Sammy's stats vs the Patriots over the past 3 years.

4 games

14 receptions

183 yards

13.07 yards a reception

1 TD

Honestly Bandit, I think he had this under control.

I don't see any of ours winning a 1-1 matchup against their secondary. We will get production those days because you have to produce something but the safeties just took two steps towards the line to stop McCoy and are going to force an 8ypc 37 year old boldin to beat gilmore/butler over the top.

It's going to potentially be a tough couple games with Brady throwing to cooks covered by a rookie or a middling corner on the other side.

Any given Sunday and all, but on paper that's not pretty

I don't see any of ours winning a 1-1 matchup against their secondary. We will get production those days because you have to produce something but the safeties just took two steps towards the line to stop McCoy and are going to force an 8ypc 37 year old boldin to beat gilmore/butler over the top.

It's going to potentially be a tough couple games with Brady throwing to cooks covered by a rookie or a middling corner on the other side.

Any given Sunday and all, but on paper that's not pretty

How is that any different than how Belichik's defense shutting down the Bills pass offense with Watkins in the lineup?

Have you seen Watkin's numbers vs the Pats?

Question- would you rather play the Pats* with or without Chandler Jones?

Team building is complex. Tough decisions need to be made.

How is that any different than how Belichik's defense shutting down the Bills pass offense with Watkins in the lineup?

Have you seen Watkin's numbers vs the Pats?

I have. Do you think he dedicates more resources to stopping Watkins then boldin, for instance though?

Guys. Goff is disgustingly bad. That has to play into the analysis of the trade for the Rams. Goff was so bad last year he was actually much worse than EJ Manuel was in his rookie year. He had the worst DVOA for a quarterback under pressure AND not under pressure. It isn't just that he was bad, he did nothing well. If he turns it around it will be an all-time shocker. Trading a top 40 pick for a receiver in a contract year is a horrible decision.

This is exactly right. Whaley was fired because of moves like this.

Comical that you blast Goff and Wentz after one season but you sing the praises of TT who has shown little passing ability and is now on year SEVEN in the league.

Bills apologist hard at work, I see.

Edited by Crusher