Trump Declaring National Emergency Over Opioids

47,000 people per year qualifies. What we need to do is regulate the supply and distribution of opioids much more firmly. Congress could pass a law today to do just that. Somehow I doubt that will happen. The pharmaceutical lobby is too powerful. Many corrupt doctors who are incentivized by pharma in our healthcare system don't care either.

Trump seems to think it's a recreational drug. My brother-in-law died from it's effect. Was driving a truck and was t-boned by someone who ran a red light. Had severe back pain, and was prescribed pills by his doctor. He got hooked, and after failed attempts at rehab it eventually destroyed his liver, and we watched him take his last breath in the hospital, a shell of his former self. It must be some powerful stuff.

My neighbor trains police dogs; one of the biggest issues he has to deal with now is the dogs dying from inhalation exposure to fentanyl- or carfentanyl-laced heroin. And a police officer locally this week had to be administered Naloxone after he dangerously (and accidentally) overdosed by absorbing a small amount of carfentanyl-laced heroin through his skin. And there was a story a few months ago of someone who was fatally exposed just by handling the clothes of a family member who died of an overdose.

It is absolutely mind-blowing how dangerous some of this stuff is.

Damn, I was gonna crack wise about the opiod induced constipation, but then PJ had to be a Killie McKilljoy

Well, PJ's brother-in-law technically didn't die from opiod abuse, he died from acetaminophen abuse (which is what destroys your liver.)

Awful way to go, though. I knew someone who committed suicide that way (Tylenol OD). It's certain...but it takes three days, which gives you plenty of time to regret your decision, and it is painful.

Damn, I was gonna crack wise about the opiod induced constipation, but then PJ had to be a Killie McKilljoy

There's a commercial on tv advertising a drug to remedy the constipation assisted with opioids. That kind of struck me. The commercial itself is tough to watch, but the fact so many people need that products says a lot

This is one of the few things I agree with the man on. My wife to be works in the medical field, and has to be extremely careful when it comes to treating people with chronic pain.

The problem is, say a law abiding citizen goes in for surgery, or is in an accident. They are legally proscribed opioid for their pain, but the dosage isn't right or runs out too soon. The strict prescription restrictions mean you can't get more. The closest and cheapest replacement, if you are already will to go outside the law, is heroin.

This is one of the few things I agree with the man on. My wife to be works in the medical field, and has to be extremely careful when it comes to treating people with chronic pain.

The problem is, say a law abiding citizen goes in for surgery, or is in an accident. They are legally proscribed opioid for their pain, but the dosage isn't right or runs out too soon. The strict prescription restrictions mean you can't get more. The closest and cheapest replacement, if you are already will to go outside the law, is heroin.

Interesting...in that, in my experience, it is extraordinarily easy to get prescription refills. It was only recently that our doctor told us "I have to see you in person occasionally to prescribe you more hydrocodone." (He's a good orthopedist, but worrisomely free with hydrocodone scripts.)

Interesting...in that, in my experience, it is extraordinarily easy to get prescription refills. It was only recently that our doctor told us "I have to see you in person occasionally to prescribe you more hydrocodone." (He's a good orthopedist, but worrisomely free with hydrocodone scripts.)

several years ago when I broke my ankle and was recovering from the resulting surgery, I was dumbfounded with how much Percocet they prescribed me. They sent me home with a script for 100 pills and said I could take 2 every 4-6 hours, without ever even asking how much pain I was in. I think I took about 5 pills total because I found the pain preferable to how the meds made me feel. This was back in 2009 so maybe things have gotten a little more strict with how much they can prescribe at one time, but whenever the opioids crisis comes up I've often thought about how many people would have taken the full allotment because "doc's orders" and ended up getting addicted, as well as how easy it would have been to make a quick buck selling my leftovers.

I don't know too much about opioids but have had two younger cousins who were addicted to heroine and finally hit rock bottom after stealing from their family (including me). Under Medicaid, they were able to check into an inpatient rehab center and one is four years clean and the other about a year clean. Both have full time jobs now. I'm glad Trump is taking this step and hopefully he can help curb the national heroin epidemic as well. Border security is a good start.

Border security is a good soundbyte but opioid addiction is an inside job. Doctors prescribe.

Since it's anecdote time, I just had a doc offer me an opioid for tennis elbow pain. Couldn't believe it.

I bet he also told you it was ok to take them all at once.

Border security is a good soundbyte but opioid addiction is an inside job. Doctors prescribe.

Since it's anecdote time, I just had a doc offer me an opioid for tennis elbow pain. Couldn't believe it.

I was talking about heroin, but what's the name of your doctor. B-)