Football Outsiders - AFC East over/unders for 2017

Loved this line "When I think of the Jets human resources department, I think of a golfer stuck in a sand trap, shooting over the green into another sand trap, then shooting from that sand trap back into the ORIGINAL sand trap, then repeating that process forever."

Nice optimistic outlook from an unbiased source. I like it. Their best case scenario doesn't sound that crazy to me. This year really falls on the coaches to get the defense to the next level without the offense taking a step back. The AFC is so weak, our wildcard competition will almost surely be someone from the West.

I don't think there's much of a difference between a 5-11 team and a 7-9 team at all. Much less "a huge difference." What's this guy talking about?

I get what they are saying. a 7-9 team is average, a 5-11 team is bad. Mostly they are saying that when the line is set at a whole number, you either have to choose a whole win above or below, where as with half wins on the line you only have to bet half a win on each side. In a 16-game season, that makes a difference with bets.

Cool how the Bills start a philosophical discussion about the efficacy of integers on the matter...

Good red herring!

And a 6-10 for the last 20 and into the next 10 feels fully justified.

If numbers are going to disprove it, I'll flick that switch and shrug and whatever.

Coaching makes such a difference in football. If McDermott is as good as we hope 10 wins is not out of the question.

Give it 2 or 3 years, maybe a fluke of a few more good bounces of the pigskin in the first season.

Rex and Rob were Dead On Arrival....

Okay, if the 2016 Fish are your life preserver of hope, I won't take it from you....

So grabbing the last wild card would be a let down for you? Or are you holding out for a Super Bowl? Edited by PromoTheRobot

So grabbing the last wild card would be a let down for you? Or are you holding out for a Super Bowl?

Whoa..... my wishes are that they can get a playoff spot, maybe even the division title.

I put no gastric juices into convincing myself it's gonna happen until it happens.

Used to gamble semi-heavily and those wheels in my head can't come up with decent scenarios with friendly odds.

Gonna be a fun season though, you are one that will be fun to hammer back and forth as she plays out...

I don't think there's much of a difference between a 5-11 team and a 7-9 team at all. Much less "a huge difference." What's this guy talking about?

I think he is trying to say that if a team goes 5-11 they usually struggle throughout the season but when a team goes 7-9 they remain competitive and are in playoff picture until the end of a season.

I think he is trying to say that if a team goes 5-11 they usually struggle throughout the season but when a team goes 7-9 they remain competitive and are in playoff picture until the end of a season.

5 games have extra play up for grabs each year due to scheduling and injuries and how the piggy bounces

To me mediocrity is 10 wins or less, so 5 and 7 win teams aren't getting praise.