Phat Pat's contract is 5 mil and again...

here here, great post.........

we went with the "cheap" option.......i think most playoff caliber teams with the cap room we had would have re-signed pat, or at least made an effort to........

260573[/snapback]

Please re-read VI's post. The move not to resign Pat was not made on financial grounds alone. If Williams was indispensable to Bills' D, he would have commanded market value close to what Jason Ferguson got and what Richard Semour is likely to get.

Williams did not deserve a FMV contract from Bills because his role in the defense is diminishing. He's probably worth more to the Vikings, because their DTs suck.

By the way PW would not be counting 5+ million against the cap.  His figure this year would be in the low 3M range.  The Bills could have easily made a comparable deal.  A 5.5M signing bonus would have very likely kept him here.  Amortize that over 3 years and it is 1.8M/year and amortize it over 4 and it is 1.375/yr.  Add salaries of 1-2M/year and for the next two years cap figures of around 3M/year for an anchor of your defense.  Instead we hope a guy who practiced well but wasn't good enough to suit up for 75% of games will take his place.  That's a stretch.  Realistically you can count on Pat to have a couple of more productive seasons.  His contract that he signed would hardly of killed the Bills.  Cut him after two years and he has a dead cap figure of 2M.  Not a lot for a great DT.  Hopefully Ron Edwards will step up.  If either Edwards or Adams goes down we will have a horrible run defense.

260554[/snapback]

Few have said we couldn't afford PW. We definitely could have afforded him. His cap hit is exactly 3.5 mil this year. It would not have killed the Bills, it just would not have been smart. The question is whether he is worth it. Your low end numbers are out of bounds as he is not going to take a 5.5 mil bonus and 1 mil per year. That's 3.5 million less than the Vikes. 2 Million per year in your scenario is still 1.5 million less than the Vikes. He MAY have bit on that but it was still about 4 mil per year on the cap with 2 mil per year in salary.

By the way PW would not be counting 5+ million against the cap.  His figure this year would be in the low 3M range.  The Bills could have easily made a comparable deal.  A 5.5M signing bonus would have very likely kept him here.  Amortize that over 3 years and it is 1.8M/year and amortize it over 4 and it is 1.375/yr.  Add salaries of 1-2M/year and for the next two years cap figures of around 3M/year for an anchor of your defense.  Instead we hope a guy who practiced well but wasn't good enough to suit up for 75% of games will take his place.  That's a stretch.  Realistically you can count on Pat to have a couple of more productive seasons.  His contract that he signed would hardly of killed the Bills.  Cut him after two years and he has a dead cap figure of 2M.  Not a lot for a great DT.  Hopefully Ron Edwards will step up.  If either Edwards or Adams goes down we will have a horrible run defense.

260554[/snapback]

do you remeber that adams was benched last year b/c edwards was playing better then him for a stretch? we have viable replacements on the d line, but not the o line. we need to focus our cash on the most critical positions - o line, TE, especially witha rookie qb.

Instead we hope a guy who practiced well but wasn't good enough to suit up for 75% of games will take his place.  That's a stretch.  Realistically you can count on Pat to have a couple of more productive seasons. 

260554[/snapback]

4 years ago didn't the bills do the exact same with PW. He was on the bench

warming up for Ted Washington and the coaching staff put the faith in him

and let big Ted go and made him the cornerstone of the DL. I am sure they

saw somehting in him to do that.

I am sure todays coaching staff sees the same thing in the skills of Edwards

and Anderson to make that kind of switch.

Just as Edwards/Anderson might suck, PW might get lazy (after the big

bonus) and might suck too. The bottom line is the coaching staff has

enough game film/game day experience to decide whether a player is

worth the spot at the right price and if they feel that PW is not going to

be a every down player in the next few years then they did the right

thing in not overpaying him.

how about ryan diem boys? indy has a tighter salary cap then us, and they still managed to sign their good, young OT.........is bill polian some kind of fool for paying "market value"?

260248[/snapback]

Indy has 20 million to spend. Sorry..

All I am saying is paying Pat 2.5-3M per year is hardly an outrageous contract. The offer I mentioned is NOT much less than the Vikes. 5.5M vs 6M and 250K less the first year? Not a big difference and could be the "hometown" discount PW said he would take. Paying a DT 3M/season is very reasonable. Like I said he probably has 2 more good seasons. His contract demands will/would not cost nearly the purported 5M/year. His demands were reasonable--JJ were not. No way would it have been prudent to pay JJ that amount of money. My argument is that PW could have been signed for a cap friendly number and the contract NEVER would have put us in cap jail. My problem is that TD never even made the effort to re-sign him. If we go with the 4-3 again we could be in trouble if one goes down. Imagine Bannon and Anderson as our interior lineman. That is scary! DTs have to rotate and that combo is not strong.