Plumbing question

Had a new toilet installed about a month or so ago. Twice over the last couple of days my son (16 about 160 lbs) was taking a #2 and while sitting on the throne, flushed and said he could hear a rush of water and then the floor was wet. The toilet has pretty good pressure and has never been clogged. The water is not coming from the bowl, but I have to believe from the tank.

It first happened on Saturday and I tried several times to replicate the issue with no luck. There is also no sign of a leak as the floor has not been wet until this most recent episode which happened this morning. I have not been home either time it happened.

Any thoughts appreciated...RB

If it's only after flushing your wax gasket needs to be replaced that mounts your toilet to the floor.

If you went the cheap route and didn't replace it and tried to use it again or your contractor did then I'd call them up and B word.

If it's only after flushing your wax gasket needs to be replaced that mounts your toilet to the floor.

If you went the cheap route and didn't replace it and tried to use it again or your contractor did then I'd call them up and B word.

I agree that the issue is the floor gasket and the flange plate. If there is a leak, you won't necessarily see it as it's leaking into the floor. This requires immediate attention IMO.

New toilet gets a new gasket, and preferably one of the new rubber ones. In a toilet install, it's crucial to seat the toilet slowly and carefully over this gasket.

I agree that the issue is the floor gasket and the flange plate. If there is a leak, you won't necessarily see it as it's leaking into the floor. This requires immediate attention IMO.

New toilet gets a new gasket, and preferably one of the new rubber ones. In a toilet install, it's crucial to seat the toilet slowly and carefully over this gasket.

replaced everything including wax seal. the water is coming from tank - almost shooting out of it somehow.

Gasket between tank and seat either not installed or not install correctly. Or your son is peeing on the floor and won't admit it

My first thought , he missed the toilet.

Is the tube for filling the toilet hooked up and pointing downward? Not hitting the tank top?

Did you install it or a plumber?

Could be you need a thicker wax ring with a rubber flange.

Is the tank toilet one piece? Or 2? If Tank bolts to toilet then you can tighten them up.

Edited by mead107

I had that problem. It's coming from the top of the stem when you flush, sprays towards the tank lid and that's why it's dripping from there and only happens when you flush I fixed it by taking a paper cup and cutting it down and putting it on top of it so that it would deflect the water back into the tank. It's not a permanent fix but I will do for now. You need a new stem.

If the floor around the toilet is getting wet AFTER you flush but water is not draining down the outside, it's not the tank to bowl, it's the wax seal. This needs fixed ASAP before you destroy whatever is below the toilet. Check flange to make sure it's not cracked and change the bowl to floor bolts. Don't ever reuse them. Based on what you've described above though, it sounds like water is leaking from the tank DURING the flush. There's a tank-to-bowl gasket that is probably not sealed all the way. There's also gaskets on the bolts that hold the tank to the bowl. One of them may have been compromised. It could be the flushing mechanism too that's spraying water during the flush.

Again, it sounds like the wax seal is ok, it's probably one of the tank gaskets. Just replace them all. If the boy is leaning back on the toilet while he flushes and the tank to bowl bolts aren't tight enough, the tank could actually be moving back which would cause the gasket to leak. Just check everything and replace all gaskets. If significant water is under the entire bowl, you're going to want to remove the toilet, let dry for a couple days, and replace everything. Once the subfloor gets wet and moldy, you're in for an expensive surprise!

The water could be coming from one of five areas.......

1) the toilet flange (not sealed properly between the gasket and toilet flange)

2) the gasket between the tank and the bowl isnt seated properly

3) the overflow tube inside the tank...........if the overflow tube in the tank is not seated properly, water will splash against the back of the inside of the tank and make its way down the back of the tank and before you know it, there's water on yer floor.

4) a hair line crack (yep, i just said crack in a plumbing question) in either the tank or the bowl

5) the kid is pissing all over the floor

Once you figure out which one is the problem, then you'll have it licked.

That'll be $50 please.

The water could be coming from one of five areas.......

1) the toilet flange (not sealed properly between the gasket and toilet flange)

2) the gasket between the tank and the bowl isnt seated properly

3) the overflow tube inside the tank...........if the overflow tube in the tank is not seated properly, water will splash against the back of the inside of the tank and make its way down the back of the tank and before you know it, there's water on yer floor.

4) a hair line crack (yep, i just said crack in a plumbing question) in either the tank or the bowl

5) the kid is pissing all over the floor

Once you figure out which one is the problem, then you'll have it licked.

That'll be $50 please.

Gotta be #5. Can't replicate the situation, only happens to the kid.

;-)

Anyway... Is it clean water or dirty water on the floor?

I've got one. We just moved into a new house and the shower has this setup.

The middle knob controls changing from the shower to the tub. However when turned the tub "faucet" still runs. Can I fix it or do I need to replace all of the knobs? Or is it an issue with the lower faucet not being sealed off completely? 01-81BC.jpg