A question for you guys?

Ice bowl 67

You guys ever see any Summers in New York where it never got hot or you barely used the pool or had to put on a sweatshirt at night? The reason why I ask is last Friday here in Green Bay walked outside at 10 at night and holy crap it was chilly. I looked at the temp and it was 56 degrees. It was like come on this is August for crying out loud. You guys ever seen this type of weather where you live in the summer before?

Your winters arent as bad either. At least visiting Pennsylvania one year they barely get a winter. It was 60 degrees one year in January when we were there and not a drop of snow on the ground.

I'd say typical January here is 35• and snowy

It's definitely winter November through March sometimes even October

Oh yea. I'm conservative with march. It's still 40• and snowing usually

That's life in the north I guess

One year in March it was even nicer than a typical October around here maybe 5 years ago. I remember we had a couple days that got in the Low 80s in March here that year but it cooled down but most of that month was in the 50s and 60s for daytime highs. It was the nicest early spring I can remember. The next year in March it was colder than a SOB lol go figure.

One year in March it was even nicer than a typical October around here maybe 5 years ago. I remember we had a couple days that got in the Low 80s in March here that year but it cooled down but most of that month was in the 50s and 60s for daytime highs. It was the nicest early spring I can remember. The next year in March it was colder than a SOB lol go figure.

80 in march would be awesome . I could get my basketball in earlier to stay in shape

This summer has been really mild. No real heat waves and raining at least 3-4 times per week. Most days seem to be in the 70s. I suspect that's been the case throughout most of the northeast and Midwest this summer.

Edit: FYI

https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/cool-mild-start-august-2017-plains-midwest-south-east

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh

You guys ever see any Summers in New York where it never got hot or you barely used the pool or had to put on a sweatshirt at night? The reason why I ask is last Friday here in Green Bay walked outside at 10 at night and holy crap it was chilly. I looked at the temp and it was 56 degrees. It was like come on this is August for crying out loud. You guys ever seen this type of weather where you live in the summer before?

once back in 76 and once mid 90's IIRC.

I am laughing at how winter's North of the Mason Dixon are said to be hot. Hell, it's barely above 90 here this summer thanks to all the cooler temps and I haven't had a heat issue yet

Damn Boyst, July in Richmond was hot as hades. Couple weeks ago only outside stuff I did was run before the sun was up...and inside rest of the day. You are only couple hundred miles away no?

Damn Boyst, July in Richmond was hot as hades. Couple weeks ago only outside stuff I did was run before the sun was up...and inside rest of the day. You are only couple hundred miles away no?

we didn't hit 90nunder July 3rd. 2nd latest date to do so since they began keeping track in the early 1900s.

And we have only had a few days over 95. Nothing 100 yet, which is amazing. The dog days are about gone and it never gets much over 90 with low humidity and a good breeze. It's been a great summer

Yeah. The summer of '16. Rochester recorded measurable snow in every month that year.

Oh wait... That was 1816, when Tambora blew the year before:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Anyway... You don't need A/C in BFLo. It rarely gets close to 100. Tempered micro-climate. Wet (you define what form "wet" comes down as) winters, warm winters, mild summers.

Yeah. The summer of '16. Rochester recorded measurable snow in every month that year.

Oh wait... That was 1816, when Tambora blew the year before:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

Anyway... You don't need A/C in BFLo. It rarely gets close to 100. Tempered micro-climate. Wet (you define what form "wet" comes down as) winters, warm winters, mild summers.

Ironically, it was that singular event which shaped my ancestry, sending throngs of Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York pioneers westward to Ohio and beyond.

The founder of Aurora, New York, Jabez Warren III, is my 5xgreat uncle. He was one of the very few who left prior to 1816, while everyone else arrived after, crossing Lake Erie on sleds to get to Ohio's Western Reserve.

https://books.google.com/books?id=q-5JAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA473&lpg=PA473&dq=jabez+warren+aurora+new+york&source=bl&ots=0Cdcs3UGTd&sig=10Bxl7SyvE55x9B0kKkjBjmmE2M&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjDpc-87MbVAhVJr1QKHaZmAE8Q6AEIUDAH#v=onepage&q&f=false

Edited by BmoreBills

This summer has been really mild. No real heat waves and raining at least 3-4 times per week. Most days seem to be in the 70s. I suspect that's been the case throughout most of the northeast and Midwest this summer.

Edit: FYI

https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/cool-mild-start-august-2017-plains-midwest-south-east

Be careful how you use the term "Midwest" around here JR! ;-)

The good news is... Lake Michigan hasn't been this high in 20+ years... And staying high through the "heat" of the summer. We haven't seen numbers like this since the 1990s:

post-1877-0-06259900-1502168634_thumb.jpg

Pic Explanation:

Head=Lake Michigan

0'=Zero Gage= 579.48' above Sea Level= neither high nor low water

Tail=Canal=kept by Fed law @ ~(2.00')

And that head (Lake Michigan) elevation will only get higher with this cool summer. River temp is only around 75, when it was in the 80s in first decade of 2000s during high summer. That means the Lake is running cool. With Lake being cool in August, less evaporation during hottest part of summer that falls outside the basin... Meaning Lake will rise. We are in an upswing.

We need another big freeze this winter as we had in 2014... That will further surpress summer Lake temps, and keep high summer evaporation that gets dropped outside the basin, down. I wouldn't be surprised to see that head number in the mid 3' range next summer. We've had head elevation up into the 3's this summer during rain & seiche events.