Travis, pout or play?

Right now, Travis Henry is our back-up RB. A lot of Bills fans have turned sour on him for his whining, as well as his lack of production last year and his previous fumbles. But the fact is, if we cannot trade him for Shelton or someone that will play a significant role, he is likely to stay as our back-up RB. And something I don't think has been discussed, is the Whine Factor.

Last year, it seemed as though all of the actual whining as well as all of the alleged and just plain lies about whining came from the "play-me-or-trade me" or "I am not a back-up" variety. That can work, and get a guy traded, as no one wants a malcontent with two years to go on his contract, and a trade is a possibility. That is what is happening now. But if there is no trade possiblity as we start next season, and Travis will without question be gone after the coming 2005 season as a UFA, there is virtually no Whining Factor Incentive, there is only the Prove I Am Still Good Incentive. If Travis is our back-up this year (and decides to try), we have one of the top back-ups in the game. If he pouts like last year, who is likely to offer ANY significant money to a player who has been not only on the bench and ineffective for two full years but clearly a jerk. If he plays hard as a back-up and succeeds, he is a player with recent success and a lot left in the tank who was just in an unfortunate RB controversy.

If we don't trade him for Shelton, I think we will and should keep him. He will pout for a while and then sit down with his agent and decide, I am going to show those mofo's, like he has several times in his past, at Tennessee, early on with the Bills, and hopefully this year.

Right now, Travis Henry is our back-up RB. A lot of Bills fans have turned sour on him for his whining, as well as his lack of production last year and his previous fumbles. But the fact is, if we cannot trade him for Shelton or someone that will play a significant role, he is likely to stay as our back-up RB. And something I don't think has been discussed, is the Whine Factor.

Last year, it seemed as though all of the actual whining as well as all of the alleged and just plain lies about whining came from the "play-me-or-trade me" or "I am not a back-up" variety. That can work, and get a guy traded, as no one wants a malcontent with two years to go on his contract, and a trade is a possibility. That is what is happening now. But if there is no trade possiblity as we start next season, and Travis will without question be gone after the coming 2005 season as a UFA, there is virtually no Whining Factor Incentive, there is only the Prove I Am Still Good Incentive. If Travis is our back-up this year (and decides to try), we have one of the top back-ups in the game. If he pouts like last year, who is likely to offer ANY significant money to a player who has been not only on the bench and ineffective for two full years but clearly a jerk. If he plays hard as a back-up and succeeds, he is a player with recent success and a lot left in the tank who was just in an unfortunate RB controversy.

If we don't trade him for Shelton, I think we will and should keep him. He will pout for a while and then sit down with his agent and decide, I am going to show those mofo's, like he has several times in his past, at Tennessee, early on with the Bills, and hopefully this year.

260116[/snapback]

Good post. Your creative use of the English language is appreciated by THIS poster.

:doh:

260116[/snapback]

i don't think there is anyway he can come back to buffalo now.......it's gone to far and he needs to go.......bringing him back would not be good for either side.........

i don't think there is anyway he can come back to buffalo now.......it's gone to far and he needs to go.......bringing him back would not be good for either side.........

260123[/snapback]

What, precisely, has gone too far? Has he ever said he wasn't going to play? Has he ever actually done anything we know of detrimental to the team? There are a lot of rumors out there, none of which have a shred of evidence. The only thing that has publicly been stated about the entire situation as far as I know is TD saying if we can't get what he is worth in a trade we are keeping him.

What, precisely, has gone too far? Has he ever said he wasn't going to play? Has he ever actually done anything we know of detrimental to the team? There are a lot of rumors out there, none of which have a shred of evidence. The only thing that has publicly been stated about the entire situation as far as I know is TD saying if we can't get what he is worth in a trade we are keeping him.

260231[/snapback]

i think the fact the trade got as far as it did (i.e. travis making it known to the cards that he wanted a new deal and them rebuffing him) means it is too late to turn back.......travis got his hopes up about a deal, a #1 job, and to come back to #2 wouldn't work........

he knows he isn't going to see money without playing.......like i said, i think it's best for both to just move on.......we get some value for travis, and he gets his new deal (or at the least the opportunity to earn one -- he won't get that on our bench)..........

260116[/snapback]

This post is replete with logic. What I worry about is that Travis Henry's thought process is not replete with logic.

This post is replete with logic.  What I worry about is that Travis Henry's thought process is not replete with logic.

260269[/snapback]

Exactly. Travis would have played better last year if that theory is true enhancing his trade value for this offseason. That fact that teams are not banging down the door trying to sign a quality RB like TH has to make you wonder.

i think the fact the trade got as far as it did (i.e. travis making it known to the cards that he wanted a new deal and them rebuffing him) means it is too late to turn back.......travis got his hopes up about a deal, a #1 job, and to come back to #2 wouldn't work........

he knows he isn't going to see money without playing.......like i said, i think it's best for both to just move on.......we get some value for travis, and he gets his new deal (or at the least the opportunity to earn one -- he won't get that on our bench)..........

260262[/snapback]

Why would TD do it if he doesn't get "Market Value" for Travis? :doh: That is the whole point from my side as well as seemingly the Bills side. We cannot get what he is worth for him. We need a back-up RB. He costs 1.5 million and if we lose him we are going to have to go out and spend 1.5 million on a guy we don't know is as good as him, and probably isn't. My post was referring to the point of no return on whining. If Travis is on the Bills roster on August 1st it will do him great harm to loaf or pout. It will do him great good to try and produce. It doesn't matter what has happened in the past, it will be a new hand. They tried to trade him. They even let his agent try to make a trade for him. But to give him away for nothing is bad business, not to mention create a rather large new hole for the team. A good back-up RB is a very important cog.

I don't want THen here as a backup -- he could actually get in a game and cause a season ending sack to our young QB, not because JPL is injury prone, but because THen is that bad at picking up blitzes.