Just lost respect for Mike Florio-

The mistake was having respect for Florio to begin with:

@AceReporter1912

@john_wawrow weren't Pegula's comments about moving from Orchard Park to Buf? Thats how i read it but @ProFootballTalk is saying otherwise.

@john_wawrow

John Wawrow Retweeted LawrenceFoster

You would be correct. @ProFootballTalk, which wasn't at news conference, has however deemed itself infallible.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Florio intentionally misled anyone. I just don't think he's very knowledgeable of Pegula and the Bills stadium situation.

He didn't which is how / why he intentionally misled EVERYONE. If you don't know what you're talking about, maybe don't write the story...

The mistake was having respect for Florio to begin with:

@AceReporter1912

@john_wawrow weren't Pegula's comments about moving from Orchard Park to Buf? Thats how i read it but @ProFootballTalk is saying otherwise.

@john_wawrow

John Wawrow Retweeted LawrenceFoster

You would be correct. @ProFootballTalk, which wasn't at news conference, has however deemed itself infallible.

...which is what I've been saying since this broke! :D

https://sports.yahoo.com/pegula-commits-keeping-bills-buffalo-213442632.html

Talk about a click-bait article.

"With three NFL teams relocating in less than 20 months, other fans in other cities are nervous about other teams moving. Bills owner Terry Pegula made it clear on Wednesday that folks in Buffalo shouldn’t worry. Yet.

Well, we have a lease through 2023, so that’s a contractual obligation,” Pegula told reporters. “That’s my stance on it. This is 2017, so we’ve got a long ways to go before we start worrying about anything besides where we’re at now.”

On one hand, that’s seven years. On the other hand, it’s only seven years. Grand scheme of things, that time will fly by. And there will need to be a plan in place for Year Eight, a plan that can’t wait to be devised and implemented in Year Seven.

Still, it’s clear that the Bills won’t be going anywhere soon. Asked about an out clause that is triggered in 2018, Pegula was pragmatic.

“Where are we going to go?” he said.

For now, nowhere. Eventually, however, that could change."

It should have been obvious that Pegula was talking about building a new stadium and not moving the team from Buffalo

Mike Florio is a manure spreader.

Edited by The Monk

Florio wants the Bills to leave WNY so badly that it's making him delusional again.

During the sale of the team he was so giddy that maybe it could go to Toronto. Then it was LA.

The man just cannot accept that the Bills are staying in WNY. The day a new downtown stadium is announced in Buffalo he might actually cry.

Thankfully, Florio doesn't know about the rule against one person owning two professional franchises in the same city. That little nugget has been swept under the rug and should stay there for decades.

Its the worst kept secret in sports. Everyone knows El Pegual slipped one past Goodell but at this point, there isn't much the league can do.

It's different cities, fellas.

"In the aftermath of the 1980s antitrust litigation, the League operated as if the cross-ownership ban was still in effect, but authorized occasional exceptions (e.g., permitting Wayne Huizenga to own both the Miami Dolphins and Florida Marlins, and permitting Paul Allen to own both the Seattle Seahawks and Portland Trail Blazers). The League codified this approach in an amendment to its Constitution and Bylaws that allows cross-ownership in another major league sports team in two narrow circumstances: (1) if the two franchises are in the same city, or (2) if the other leagues franchise is in a neutral market, defined as one that doesnt currently host an NFL team and is not deemed a potential NFL city."

Thankfully, Florio doesn't know about the rule against one person owning two professional franchises in the same city. That little nugget has been swept under the rug and should stay there for decades.

The rule is different cities. Pegula can own the Bills and Sabres because they are both in the same city.

Pegula can't own the Bills and Penguins.

He can own a baseball team in a different city because Buffalo doesn't have a baseball team....basically can't own a team that's a competing city in that sport. He can buy the Pirates if he wants to and they were for sale. He can buy the 76ers if they are for sale too.

It's different cities, fellas.

"In the aftermath of the 1980s antitrust litigation, the League operated as if the cross-ownership ban was still in effect, but authorized occasional exceptions (e.g., permitting Wayne Huizenga to own both the Miami Dolphins and Florida Marlins, and permitting Paul Allen to own both the Seattle Seahawks and Portland Trail Blazers). The League codified this approach in an amendment to its Constitution and Bylaws that allows cross-ownership in another major league sports team in two narrow circumstances: (1) if the two franchises are in the same city, or (2) if the other leagues franchise is in a neutral market, defined as one that doesnt currently host an NFL team and is not deemed a potential NFL city."

Not sure what your source is but I read the meeting minutes from the subsequent Owners' retreat in New Orleans (may have been back in 2009) and the argument ensued wherein the owners tabled further discussion re. ownership in the same city because it would violate the anti-trust at the local level. Since the discussion was tabled, it really has never been resolved in Pegula's favor. Hence, the reason why he has floated a trial balloon about Hamilton, ONT being a viable location for an outdoor stadium (Hamilton is outside the 50 mile radius contemplated by the NFL rules).

Not sure what your source is but I read the meeting minutes from the subsequent Owners' retreat in New Orleans (may have been back in 2009) and the argument ensued wherein the owners tabled further discussion re. ownership in the same city because it would violate the anti-trust at the local level. Since the discussion was tabled, it really has never been resolved in Pegula's favor. Hence, the reason why he has floated a trial balloon about Hamilton, ONT being a viable location for an outdoor stadium (Hamilton is outside the 50 mile radius contemplated by the NFL rules).

There are currently 11 owners who own more than one franchise.

Paul Allen owns the Seahawks and Trail Blazers

James Dolan owns the Knicks and Rangers

The Glazer Family owns the Bucs and Manchester United

Josh Harris owns the 76ers and Devils

John Henry owns the Red Sox and Liverpool

Mike Ilitch owns the Tigers and Red Wings

Shahid Khan owns the Jaguars and Fulham

Stan Kroenke owns the Rams, Nuggets and Avalanche

Ted Leonsis owns the Wizards and Capitals

Jerry Reinsdorf owns the Bulls and White Sox.

Guest NeckBeard

This article is a throwaway, and tells us something we already know. I think any Bills' fan understands the timeline, but it's not like the hourglass runs out of sand in 2023 as some (in the media, and definitely on Bills'-related message boards) would suggest, and that the Bills are just going to up and move. I think this ground was covered nicely in the taxpayer funded stadiums thread from a few weeks ago. There's a reality to the NFL's approach to a partnership with taxpayers, and there's another reality about the prospects of expansion in the U.S. (continental and not).

Why -- oh, why -- don't articles like this ever take into consideration that the NFL has been playing a game of musical chairs with municipalities for decades? Having a team in Las Vegas makes sense because a constant stream of travel and tourism can foot the bill, hopefully, so that Nevadans don't have to pay these costs. Having a team in San Antonio makes sense, but somebody would have to pay for said stadium, and that's a sticking point in a state who already has two NFL teams, and is also a state that's very tax averse, or at least in its conservative principles it is. Some might say that Brooklyn could host an NFL team, but are they going to play in NJ? I don't think so. So that means NY taxpayers have to pony up for yet another stadium in the state. San Diego voters already dropped the hammer on the NFL in 2016, and unless its demographic changes, I am hard pressed to believe that people want to shell out a bunch of tax dollars for an NFL team, in particular after having just lost one for the same exact reasons.

What I'm getting at is that the NFL has limited options in the U.S., and that I can't think of any other markets where a NFL team would fit, or to make sense. In that light, I would be really, really surprised if the Bills leave town if they don't get a new stadium. They aren't moving to Mexico, or at least not until the churn with the wall and Trump and prospective tariffs are resolved. They probably aren't moving to Europe, because of yet-unknown side effects of Brexit. Maybe they'd move to Canada, but again, limited options.

That's my take, at least.

Edited by NeckBeard

Meant to link the article. Here ya go, it's from 2013;

http://www.theofficialreview.com/nfl-cross-ownership-rules/

Also, from an article about our Bills being up for sale;

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/bills-news-notes/2014/3/26/5548174/nfl-ownership-rules-buffalo-bills-sale-ralph-wilson

"Cross-ownership rule

Team owners are now allowed to own teams in multiple major sporting leagues, but those teams need to be in the same city (unless there is no NFL team in the other city). Buffalo native Jeremy Jacobs owns the Boston Bruins, but would have to sell that team in order to become the majority owner of the Bills. Seattle Seahawks owner Paul Allen can also own the Portland Trailblazers because Portland doesn't have an NFL market.

Ironically, this rule change was opposed by Ralph Wilson in 1997, when NFL owners lifted restrictions on other sports' owners from purchasing an NFL franchise. To that point, NFL owners collectively wanted their team owners concentrating on football."

Because it's a pain in the ass crossing the border when it's work/business related. You get the customs agent having a bad day and you'll be stuck there for hours, even if all your paperwork is in order.

Correction...It's a pain in the ass to cross back in to the US...the Canadians could care less

Correction...It's a pain in the ass to cross back in to the US...the Canadians could care less

They do care, we've had people turned away from entering Canada because their paperwork was not in order, or they get stupid and try joking around with the border guard. Myself, I've had three times where the person in the booth didn't want to deal with my paperwork and sent me inside to sit and wait for a supervisor, who basically lets me go because everything was in order.