The Tyrod Taylor Question

Taylor's strength is being a mobile QB , not a pocket ,timing play QB in Dennison's system.

Castillo's OL choices look scary without a healthy Glenn.

They are changing a #10 offense that averaged 24.9 pts a game last season.

Switching back to 4-3 but zone cover , player turnover , will take another draft to convert.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But I'll be rooting hard for him to play well enough so that it doesn't happen.

I think now that it's so close and almost so obviously going to happen, a large number of posters particularly in this thread are going to be rooting very hard against Taylor succeeding.

Taylor has been set up in a situation that's interesting because she has been set up to fail while also being set up to prove he's the answer.

Anyone with ESPN insider? General curiosity about what they say more than anything 0:)

I'm sorry this had to happen to you.

It's behind the ESPN Insider paywall:

@mikerodak

Tyrod Taylor lands in Tier 3 of @SandoESPN’s expert panel QB ratings. Some strong words from one head coach on him

http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/20400339/2017-nfl-qb-tier-rankings-new-england-patriots-tom-brady-green-bay-packers-aaron-rodgers#Tier1

What does it say?

What does it say?

I gave up ESPN Insider earlier this year, so I'm not sure. I'd guess that it's not anything we don't already know with regard to the limitations in his game that we have discussed on TSW many times over.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Taylor is a bridge as a mobile QB till someone better is ready. Peterman is better as a pocket passer but is nowhere near ready.

The above is a perfect description of Tyrod. His mobility will also serve as a band aid for the weak OL, just like when Doug Flutie was here. I like Tyrod but he just doesn't seem to be a good enough passer to take advantage of the rule changes.

Peterman? I have no idea how good he is. As far as I know he could be a decent qb or worse than Trent Edwards. I know it is early but do you think that he will be any good?

What does it say?

Taylor's average tier rating fell from last year, as a higher percentage of voters placed him in the fourth tear instead of the third, but most voters were not down on him. They thought he was difficult to defend in the offense Greg Roman brought to Buffalo, but they didn't think Taylor projected well to more pass-oriented systems.

"He was actually a little better when we played him than I thought, so I give him some respect for the way he played," an offensive assistant coach said. "He was a little more accurate and a little bit better of an athlete than I thought. He was hard for our defense. Now, he is average as grits accuracy-wise overall, but he is a guy if you help him, I think he deserves to be in the 3s."

An offensive coordinator said LeSean McCoy's presence in the Buffalo offense as a special running back was critical for Taylor.

"Taylor gets the most out of what he's got," this coordinator said. "The offense is limited because of it, but he doesn't give it to them [via turnovers], and he runs around and makes enough plays. Just very fortunate McCoy is there. If they couldn't run it like that and be the No. 1 rush offense in the NFL, then he might fall into the 4s."

An exec cautioned against analyzing Taylor or any quarterback too critically when the quarterback has played for a team that has been dysfunctional. An analytics director compared Taylor to Alex Smith because neither is likely to lose games with turnovers, but neither is necessarily going to carry his team, either. Several voters said they liked Taylor but wanted to see more consistency.

"He is hard for me because I don't know how he is going to do in Rick Dennison's offense," a head coach said. "I thought he was hard to defend in Greg Roman's and Anthony Lynn's offense, but he misses a lot of s---. His ability to see receivers open is terrible. He misses guys either with the throw or in the progression, but if you use him right, I think he is a 3."

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

@PeckOnSports

Greg Gabriel: Bills Brass Will Figure Out QB's - Buffalo Sports Page

https://www.buffalosportspage.com/greg-gabriel-bills-brass-will-figure-qbs/

From the article:

EVALUATION

When I watch Taylor play, I see a quarterback who is better on the move than he is in the pocket. Being that he is just over six feet tall he has trouble seeing the whole field while in the pocket, which makes it difficult for him to go through his progression. He also has a low release, which causes passes to get batted by defensive linemen. I do not see a quick decision maker and when he does make a decision, it consistently isn’t the right one.

When a play is designed for him to be on the move he is a more accurate passer and can make plays with his feet. The trouble with that is it limits what the offense can do. When he is on the move with boots and rollouts, he is playing with a half field and not the full field and that helps the defense.

ROOKIE REPS

As Peterman gets more practice and game time reps, the staff will get more comfortable with him. One thing that has been obvious with his play in the first two preseason games is he processes things quickly and makes good decisions. He has a very quick release and shows accuracy.

During the draft process there were some draft analysts who felt that Peterman did not have an “NFL arm”. This is nonsense. While he does not possess a cannon, his arm is plenty good enough, and it will get better. Why? Many college quarterbacks are not involved with the weight training program at their schools like the position players were. Once they get into an NFL weight program they train the muscle groups that are needed to increase arm strength and velocity.

ARMS IMPROVE

Players like Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, and Tom Brady were not known for their arm strength when they came out of college. Their arms got significantly better while they were in the League. The same will hold true for Peterman.

The good news on Peterman is he was trained in an NFL style offense. He has played from under center, directed a full field read offense, and gone through three and four receiver progressions. He has been allowed to change plays and protections at the line of scrimmage with success. These things are not new to him like they are with many spread formation quarterbacks.

---------Snip---------

If the Bills are going to draft a quarterback in 2018, they have to know what Nate Peterman is first. My belief is that he has the traits to become a winning NFL starter. Sometime this season, be it in another week or mid-season, the Bills will figure out that Tyrod Taylor is not the answer and will go with Peterman. They then will find out if in fact Peterman can be the quarterback of the future for the Bills.

Edited by Magox

What does it say?

Taylor's average tier rating fell from last year, as a higher percentage of voters placed him in the fourth tear instead of the third, but most voters were not down on him. They thought he was difficult to defend in the offense Greg Roman brought to Buffalo, but they didn't think Taylor projected well to more pass-oriented systems.

"He was actually a little better when we played him than I thought, so I give him some respect for the way he played," an offensive assistant coach said. "He was a little more accurate and a little bit better of an athlete than I thought. He was hard for our defense. Now, he is average as grits accuracy-wise overall, but he is a guy if you help him, I think he deserves to be in the 3s."

An offensive coordinator said LeSean McCoy's presence in the Buffalo offense as a special running back was critical for Taylor.

"Taylor gets the most out of what he's got," this coordinator said. "The offense is limited because of it, but he doesn't give it to them [via turnovers], and he runs around and makes enough plays. Just very fortunate McCoy is there. If they couldn't run it like that and be the No. 1 rush offense in the NFL, then he might fall into the 4s."

An exec cautioned against analyzing Taylor or any quarterback too critically when the quarterback has played for a team that has been dysfunctional. An analytics director compared Taylor to Alex Smith because neither is likely to lose games with turnovers, but neither is necessarily going to carry his team, either. Several voters said they liked Taylor but wanted to see more consistency.

"He is hard for me because I don't know how he is going to do in Rick Dennison's offense," a head coach said. "I thought he was hard to defend in Greg Roman's and Anthony Lynn's offense, but he misses a lot of s---. His ability to see receivers open is terrible. He misses guys either with the throw or in the progression, but if you use him right, I think he is a 3."

This has been my biggest complaint about him since he's been in Buffalo....

If Peterman can develop into a good backup it would be great, anymore is wishful thinking at this early stage.

Ha, doesn't speak much for TT then as Peterman is already better.

Other than long ball and scrambling name something TT is better at than NP? Remember this is a 7 year vet vs a true rookie.

Edited by old school

Ok I know there are a lot of people that love him, I also know there are a lot that want him gone. However I figured I would start a thread to see what does he have to improve in your eyes to stick with the Bills at the end of the season. I know there are some that will think there is virtually nothing he can do, but there are some that are still on the fence with him. So lets say from him as a player what do you need to see for him to stick around.

I am not talking about excuses like well if Sammy stays healthy or stuff like that, I would like my QB to be effective with whoever is on the field.

Some of mine are:

Better anticipation on his throws, this is one reason why there is not a lot of YAC from these WRs, his throws tend to be late. This also hurts him with my third area I would like for him to improve on.

Obviously using the middle of the field, In this offense Clay has a chance to shine like all Owen Daniels (Clay is much more talented) has.

I would like for him to be much more effective against Man Coverage. Over the last two seasons, Taylor averages 9.3 yards per attempt against zone defenses (best), but only 7.1 yards per attempt against man coverage (fifth-worst).

I think that football is such a great game because it is the ultimate team game. In the end it matters less how Tyrod looks than whether the team is 10-6, 8-8, or 6-10.

Sure, how Tyrod performs will tell a lot about the W/L, but a much bigger factor for us fans to watch will be how will this team do utilizing the full playbook than the partial plays the Bill are willing to show in pre-season.

Will Glenn truly be on schedule as McDermott says and if not how dos the OL perform w/o both Glenn and Henderson is likely to cause Tyrod to put up a W or L.. Whether the WR corps is too depltedw/o the talents of not only Watkins, but now Boldin, and apparently Matthews due to injury may mean it does not matter what skills Tyrod shows, in the end most passes are tests of Tyrod getting it close enough but a quality WR winning the battle for the ball.

Tyrod's skills are important but simply are not likely to be the rate limiting factor for this team's O success.

From the article:

The key thing to remember about developing Peterman is that if you are gonna compare him to folks like Manning and Brees is that their traing started with them having clear talent that earned them 1st round draft status. Even with his good play with and against the second stringers, no one mistakes Peterman for having 1st round skills.

Lest folks forget and you want to make the outlandish comparison to Brady, remember that thre was 2 critical factors in Brady's development to be among the best ever.

1. He sat on the bench and learned his entire first season. If you want to actually train and develop Peterman into a franchise QB have him sit. If insteadyou want to ruin him as a player thn force him to play in real games when he is a late pick talent.

2. Both Brady and Bledsoe talk about the key role Bledsoe played in the training of Brady his sophomore year. First Bledsoe suffered an exotic injury which gave Brady a chance. My guess is w/o the collapsed lung, likely it takes 2 or maybe three seasons for the Pats to give up on the highly paid but crunch-time less performing Bledsoe.

Both QBs talk about the critical mental role Bledsoe played for Brady as he provided a QB coach on the field btw plays for Brady. Bledsoe did not have the physical skills to be Brady or the mental skills to perform with the ball in his hands. However, he had played a whole lifetime and had the ability to see things only a formers starting QB could se anf translate that in a believable way.

Peterman ain't Brady, Brees, Manning, or even Flacco.

If you want to ruin him thn rush him forward before he is ready like he's Todd Collins or Losman..

What does it say?

... "... he misses a lot of s---. His ability to see receivers open is terrible. He misses guys either with the throw or in the progression, but if you use him right, I think he is a 3."

first of all, thank you for this.

i can't tell you how many times guys like Shaw and others would tell me when i said this, that i didn't know what i was talking about because i wasn't a head coach and didn't know how to watch the all 22's. i guess that shoots their theories all to hell. it is plainly evident that Tyrod just doesn't see things very well. i think he sees them, he just doesn't process what he sees as it is all happening way too fast for him. if anyone thinks that after 6 years in the NFL that he is going to change and make the transition... well. i simply do not know what to tell you. me thinks you are the one who doesn't know what he is talking about.

Edited by Foxx

first of all, thank you for this.

i can't tell you how many times guys like Shaw and others would tell me when i said this, that i didn't know what i was talking about because i wasn't a head coach and didn't know how to watch the all 22's. i guess that shoots their theories all to hell. it is plainly evident that Tyrod just doesn't see things very well. i think he sees them, he just doesn't process what he sees as it is all happening way too fast for him. if anyone thinks that after 6 years in the NFL that he is going to change and make the transition... well. i simply do not know what to tell you. me thinks you are the one who doesn't know what he is talking about.

^^This^^

The key thing to remember about developing Peterman is that if you are gonna compare him to folks like Manning and Brees is that their traing started with them having clear talent that earned them 1st round draft status. Even with his good play with and against the second stringers, no one mistakes Peterman for having 1st round skills.

Lest folks forget and you want to make the outlandish comparison to Brady, remember that thre was 2 critical factors in Brady's development to be among the best ever.

1. He sat on the bench and learned his entire first season. If you want to actually train and develop Peterman into a franchise QB have him sit. If insteadyou want to ruin him as a player thn force him to play in real games when he is a late pick talent.

2. Both Brady and Bledsoe talk about the key role Bledsoe played in the training of Brady his sophomore year. First Bledsoe suffered an exotic injury which gave Brady a chance. My guess is w/o the collapsed lung, likely it takes 2 or maybe three seasons for the Pats to give up on the highly paid but crunch-time less performing Bledsoe.

Both QBs talk about the critical mental role Bledsoe played for Brady as he provided a QB coach on the field btw plays for Brady. Bledsoe did not have the physical skills to be Brady or the mental skills to perform with the ball in his hands. However, he had played a whole lifetime and had the ability to see things only a formers starting QB could se anf translate that in a believable way.

Peterman ain't Brady, Brees, Manning, or even Flacco.

If you want to ruin him thn rush him forward before he is ready like he's Todd Collins or Losman..

I'm not wanting to do any of that, just posting an article.