Off to NYC Later This Week

Gugny

Whatever you do, I'm sure you and your son will have a great time.

Another thing to consider if you haven't done it already is the Blue Man Group. It's pricy but worth it. Saw it 14+ years ago wth wife-to-be and again last year with the whole fam. Loved it both times. It started in a tiny theater in NYC and is still in the same place. It expanded to a bunch of other cities so it's not as novel as it once was, but definitely something to consider either this year or in the future.

Always wanted to see them! Looks like tix are $100/each minimum. Unless there are discounted tickets out there, I'd have to table this for a future trip.

Sometimes you can get cheap tix to Broadway shows...we saw Book of Mormon and it was literally side splitting. Great show.

Was looking at Stomp and School of Rock. I think my son would enjoy either of those. Would need the discounted seats, because all I can see is $70 tickets with obstructed views, so far.

a couple of fun ways t see the city here..we have done a few as a family and always have a great time

https://www.watsonadventures.com/public/location/new-york-city/

We have also gone on quite a few walking tours led by this company

https://www.bigonion.com/

Finally, the Tenement Museum is just awesome..but book early

http://www.tenement.org/

Absolutely love the idea of the Tenement Museum. So many tours to choose from. I feel like I would want to do at least 3 in a day. Maybe I'm not reading the schedule/ticketing info correctly. Ideally, we could go and learn about the people, the dwellings and the shops. But it looks like there's about 4-5 tours for each of those categories (roughly 15 total tours) that we'd need to go through in order to get all of the info/see all of the exhibits.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always wanted to see them! Looks like tix are $100/each minimum. Unless there are discounted tickets out there, I'd have to table this for a future trip.

Was looking at Stomp and School of Rock. I think my son would enjoy either of those. Would need the discounted seats, because all I can see is $70 tickets with obstructed views, so far.

Absolutely love the idea of the Tenement Museum. So many tours to choose from. I feel like I would want to do at least 3 in a day. Maybe I'm not reading the schedule/ticketing info correctly. Ideally, we could go and learn about the people, the dwellings and the shops. But it looks like there's about 4-5 tours for each of those categories (roughly 15 total tours) that we'd need to go through in order to get all of the info/see all of the exhibits.

I think one tour is sufficient for a quick trip. Really awesome place I know for sure you would love , son should as well as long as he likes history , other museums etc. Highly recommend it no matter how little time you can spend there.

BTW, is the Enterprise still open? 14 year old boy should line that for at least an hour LOL.

The Tenement Museum is worth the trip for sure.

And if you want to get same day tickets to a Broadway show, look up tkts near south street seaport, you won't have to wait on a ridiculous line (like the one in Times Square) and you can get good seats for a decent price to whatever they have available that day.

Bleecker Street Pizza for a slice of the Nonna Maria pie.

If you're feeling up to it, stop by Xi'an Famous Foods (they have many locations in Manhattan now) for their spicy lamb/beef noodles or the lamb burger.

Could swing by the old CBGB for some music nostalgia. Its a John Varvatos store now but some of the original charm is supposedly intact.

I highly recommend that any Mets fan takes the John Rocker tour. Hop on the 6 train, saddle up next to someone with AIDS, and enjoy your ride out to Flushing.

If you've been to NY every summer for a few years, exploring the boroughs may be in order.

I highly recommend that any Mets fan takes the John Rocker tour. Hop on the 6 train, saddle up next to someone with AIDS, and enjoy your ride out to Flushing.

If you've been to NY every summer for a few years, exploring the boroughs may be in order.

He's going to need a lot more time if he takes the 6 train to Flushing.

Was in NYC for the 5 Boro Bike Tour in May. Tour ended at Staten Island. The ferry boat ride from Staten Island back to Manhattan was real cool - went right by the Statue of Liberty. (Yes - I do realize that you are staying in the city) Was quite amazed at how much SI near Ft Wadsworth looked like eastern shore of MA / RI with the views of the water and such.

My observation of the WTC museum is how people take pictures of everything. Odd. Generational or cultural thing?

Gugny sent me a telegram at work and it reads:

"Fergy (stop) Tied up in brothel at 42nd and 5th (stop) Need help (stop) Send help quick (stop) Gugny"

Not sure what to make of it.

Sounds like he needs you to wire some money or they're going to throw him out!

Bleecker Street Pizza for a slice of the Nonna Maria pie.

If you're feeling up to it, stop by Xi'an Famous Foods (they have many locations in Manhattan now) for their spicy lamb/beef noodles or the lamb burger.

Could swing by the old CBGB for some music nostalgia. Its a John Varvatos store now but some of the original charm is supposedly intact.

He should definitely try to get tix to a Mets game... on the off-chance that they call up Tebow from the minors. :ph34r: