Erie County getting slammed with storms

Just Jack

That's nice of you to help :)

I live at bottom of a hill so all the water runs towards the house. A sump pump is so necessary. I have one of those floating switches now. The switch is inside the ball and when it rises trips the switch. So much better than those ones with the long handle and ball. Last so much longer. I was replacing those other ones every two years or so.

I'd go electronic. HydroCheck has various designs for different pump types.

They will warn you when pump motor is going bad, high water, blocked discharge, etc... It senses low water when current draw changes among other things the sensor does (high water)... Change of current on a motor that is going bad... Etc..

I use another as a back up too. No float to get hung up, no mechanical switch breakdown...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Heck... You can use one as a high water alarm only... Plug it in... Set sensor to where you want... Then if main switch crap when God sends Noah the flood... Switch over with simple unplug and plug maneuver.

"No time tune-up boat in middle of ocean"

Then wait for storm to abate. If sump pit has room, keep another a/c pump ready to go. Loose power, then fire up gen switch. On vacation, have high water alarm dial you. Various other backups will work.

But electronic switch really won't go bad under 5 years. Clean sensor tip, depending on type of water. Clean water, almost never.

Had the power go out once during a heavy rain and stayed out after rained had stopped. Super hot and humid and I got my portable generator going and that worked. First time ever all the neighbors were all outside! Kind of funny how AC has locked people in their houses

Had the power go out once during a heavy rain and stayed out after rained had stopped. Super hot and humid and I got my portable generator going and that worked. First time ever all the neighbors were all outside! Kind of funny how AC has locked people in their houses

Yep! I got the call late Friday... Storming bad. Didn't check rainfall totals, but had to be in the multiple inches. Water came to top pit and then since the ground below basement floor saturated like a sponge... Seeping in at between floor and wall. Going to ejector pump (sanitary sewer, stationary tub, etc...) So that was taking the heat off.

I fire up the genset when we lose power. I stretch an extra extension cord for them. Refrig and pumps, summer. Winter time furnace and pump. Refrig is putting stuff outside in winter. ;-)

More update. The southern part of Chestnut Ridge got hit hard. There are crews from all over cueanng up downed trees in the park, Almost of the roads in the area are clear, There were at least 50 men cleaning up downed and damaged trees in the park this weekend. My brother worked 12 hour days the last 4 days. They will be working their normal areas this week, but can have OT from :3:30 until 9 PM every day this week. They will have to work nextSaturday and Sunday too. He said it will be at least a mont or two for them to get all the debris cleared. Luckily no one was in the park when it hit and only one shelter was damaged.