Define the Midwest

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deep South?

I guess but no one here thinks of it as "the Deep South." They just don't think of anyone outside of there as "the South." It's not a geography thing as much as a cultural thing. I'm glad to see Okie chime in. Oklahoma isn't the South in any way, neither is Maryland. Key West is south of all of these places but it's not "the South."

I've been there a few times and worked with 50 or so people from Oklahoma. I'd say that it's kind of like Texas but not the South.

Lawton DEFINITELY is a southern town.

Bear in mind I've also lived in Georgia, so I have a feel for that sort of thing :P

Lawton DEFINITELY is a southern town.

Bear in mind I've also lived in Georgia, so I have a feel for that sort of thing :P

You get it then.

Oklahoma feels a lot more midwestern (but I didn't classify them there either). It is also like North Texas to me.

You get it then.

Oklahoma feels a lot more midwestern (but I didn't classify them there either). It is also like North Texas to me.

It shares Midwest and northern Texas qualities, but not so much "south" like an Alabama or Mississippi.

SMH Ohio is in the east, HTF can someone claim it to be in the west?

Central Time Zone doesn't start until the middle of Indiana

time_zone_map_US.gif

Magenta = Mid West.

East, Central. Mid West and West.

Forgot Inter-Mountain West. That pushes "mid" to green.

I guess but no one here thinks of it as "the Deep South." They just don't think of anyone outside of there as "the South." It's not a geography thing as much as a cultural thing. I'm glad to see Okie chime in. Oklahoma isn't the South in any way, neither is Maryland. Key West is south of all of these places but it's not "the South."

Believe me, anywhere outside a city is "South"... Got White Trash and talk with a twang... It's "South." That includes the scariest, deepest parts of Indiana/Ohio.

If we are going on "culture" or in this case, the lack of.

:-P

B) This thread has me triggered.

Don't worry, just point in the Ex's direction.

;-)

Forgot Inter-Mountain West. That pushes "mid" to green.

If we are going on "culture" or in this case, the lack of.

It's too easy for people who don't travel or deal with time zones to no understand regions

The Mason Dixon Line divides the North and South.

The Deep South Mountain folks south of Va and north of Florida.

It's too easy for people who don't travel or deal with time zones to no understand regions

The Mason Dixon Line divides the North and South.

The Deep South Mountain folks south of Va and north of Florida.

I practically live on a time zone about 50 miles away.

It has to do with history more. The Midwest is the Old Northwest. With Westward Expansion, it became "mid."

I practically live on a time zone about 50 miles away.

It has to do with history more. The Midwest is the Old Northwest. With Westward Expansion, it became "mid."

just because that's all they knew 200 + years ago - it doesn't make it right. (no offense intended)

It's like calling 50 miles out of NYS Upstate NY. It's just incorrect.

As far as Buffalo/WNY I just consider it a northeast city. Not Midwest, not east coast. Pittsburgh is also a northeast city but when I'm there it's just so similar to Ohio. Buffalo feels nothing like Midwest to me. Probably because it's so close to Toronto.

just because that's all they knew 200 + years ago - it doesn't make it right. (no offense intended)

It's like calling 50 miles out of NYS Upstate NY. It's just incorrect.

But it is Upstate New York. Anything higher than NYC (lowest part of NYS) @ sea level... Is "upstate."

:-P

And yes, in respect to The West, the traditional Midwest is still roughly in middle. Regions three ways. West, Midwest, & East.

Midwest is divided into two zones. MS River is Y coord.

it's all relative. Especially in West Virginia.

said nobody ever

Ah come on. You are just afraid of going against the consensus. ;-) There is plenty you agree with me on! :-)

As far as Buffalo/WNY I just consider it a northeast city. Not Midwest, not east coast. Pittsburgh is also a northeast city but when I'm there it's just so similar to Ohio. Buffalo feels nothing like Midwest to me. Probably because it's so close to Toronto.

Cleveland has Midwest vibe. Don't know what it is. But, I think it is this for me:

I think it is the gridded township plan laid out in Northwest Ordinance.

Everything is basically a grid in Midwest. When driving I know if I am going North, East, South, or West. Cross into PA & NYS, I gotta mostly drive by dead reckoning.

THAT! Defines Midwest to me! In Midwest, you always know where the center of the Town is just by looking at a street sign. That's the vibe. Quad Cities, etc...All the streets go one way and all the Avenues another.

BFLo is a radial plan.

PITT just a ton of dead end streets up a hill... Then a river and drawbridge... LoL I jest.

Midwest, giant checkerboard... Every place has a distinct #. No dead reckoning getting around, or VERY seldom. There are a few diagonals.

Chicago, all numbered streets you travel west to east, they run north to south, they coincide with latitude lines. Avenues with longitude... They run east to west and you travel on then north to south.

Go anywhere in Midwest and it is the same. Rock Island is all numbers of avenues and streets. Get an adress and you know where to go.

Here in Chicago Area, if I have to go to say:

15950 South Cicero Avenue

I know it is between 159th & 160th street. Cicero is 4800 West of State Street. State & Madison is 0,0.

http://www.domu.com/blog/decoding-the-chicago-street-grid-system

Again, go anywhere in "Midwest" & it is the same. Even out in the sticks.

Keep it simple. I think states without a significant mountain range in the middle of the country are considered the midwest:

http://worldmaps.world/us-mountain-ranges-map/united-states-mountain-map-2/

The main one that is questionable is Missouri with part of the Ozarks. You could also make a case to throw out South Dakota because of the Black Hills but that range really isn't significant.

The culture argument has some merit but could also argue culture differences between a Kansas vs Ohio, etc.

Edited by GaryPinC

Keep it simple. I think states without a significant mountain range in the middle of the country are considered the midwest:

http://worldmaps.world/us-mountain-ranges-map/united-states-mountain-map-2/

The main one that is questionable is Missouri with part of the Ozarks. You could also make a case to throw out South Dakota because of the Black Hills but that range really isn't significant.

The culture argument has some merit but could also argue culture differences between a Kansas vs Ohio, etc.

Yeah you are spot on. Kansas is normal.

:-/