Kittery ME, Portsmouth NH

Nervous Guy

I know there are a few of you guys out there, Hammersticks, et al...I gotta travel tomorrow to Kittery to see my niece perform in Hairspray, sigh...are there any "don't miss" things in the area? Great restaurants?

Yeah. Don't miss your niece performing in Hairspray.

I'm certainly not an expert on Portsmouth, but I have been there a couple times. Once for a lunch pit stop on the way to Wells Beach, and once for dinner. I wouldn't recommend the place we went for lunch...wasn't anything spectacular. The restaurant we went to for dinner was very, very good though. Fresh seafood, creative menu, great raw bar.

http://surfseafood.com/menu/portsmouth/

I'm sure others have more Portsmouth expertise than I. It really is a neat little city. Enjoy.

I'm certainly not an expert on Portsmouth, but I have been there a couple times. Once for a lunch pit stop on the way to Wells Beach, and once for dinner. I wouldn't recommend the place we went for lunch...wasn't anything spectacular. The restaurant we went to for dinner was very, very good though. Fresh seafood, creative menu, great raw bar.

http://surfseafood.com/menu/portsmouth/

I'm sure others have more Portsmouth expertise than I. It really is a neat little city. Enjoy.

Awesome! Thanks! :thumbsup:

NH is my state. Portsmouth is an awesome town. One of the oldest in the USA. Here's my to-do list:

Beer: Portsmouth Brewery and Earth Eagle Brewings. Ri Ra Irish Pub.

Food: The Friendly Toast. (Breakfast, lunch and late nite) Sanders Lobster Pound. Blind Pig Food & Provisions on Badger's Island. When Pigs Fly bread & pizza in York, ME.

Sweets: Kaffe Vonsolin, Portsmouth. Kettle Boys and The Goldenrod in York Beach, ME.

There are dozens more I could mention. Oh, don't leave before you buy some cheap booze from our state liquor stores.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I texted my BIL who lives in Dover, NH, and he says Black Trumpet Bistro is his favorite restaurant in Portsmouth, FWIW. He's in medical sales, and often takes doctors/hospital administrators out to dinner. Says this is his go-to when working close to home if he really wants to impress a client. Heard of this place, PTR?

I also second the Ri Ra Irish Pub recommendation. I've been to locations in Burlington and Charlotte, NC. Excellent Irish food, great beer selection, and cool atmosphere/decor. Makes you feel like you're in a pub in Dublin.

We go there a few times, but my wife is librarian and literary nut, I am just the nut. Last time in Kittery area, we "had" to go to South Berwick, Maine. Birthplace of Sarah Orne Jewett. You know, the author of "The Country of the Pointed Firs." Supposedly she had a "Boston Marriage" too. Holy Moly, the things I am "educated" in and indulge the fancies of! :-/

As I roll my eyes. "Really Baby? WE have to make a pilgrimage where?" To a house museum and see the public library?

I think I said I was happily married going on almost 25 years now. I just drive the car! ;-)

Oh... Then "we" hit the shopping outlets in Kittery. :-/

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I knew I could count on you guys! Awesome!

Trust me. Stay in Portsmouth/Kittery or even head up to Ogunquit beach (nice wide beach with decent tide swings). Don't go the crazy "literary trail" route... You'll kill me! A man can only take so much! Even up to last summer, we still had to hit the local public library in Copper Harbor, Michigan. It's a ritual that is wearing me down! I am seasoned pro, I won't snap (just yet that is)!

Oh... I think we took a boat ride up the Piscataqua River... The lobster traps stick in my mind. The lighthouse too. That is where I think the "Perfect Storm" occurred. I recall the guide saying how high the surge was on the light... Pretty astonishing.

Have fun and great time!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois