VA man kills bald eagle by shooting it and running it over

Saxum

Virginia man pleads guilty to killing a bald eagle by shooting, running it over with an ATV

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/virginia-man-pleads-guilty-killing-bald-eagle-shooting-231404001--abc-news-topstories.html

A Virginia man faces up to a year in prison and a $100,000 fine after he pleaded guilty to killing a bald eagle today, first by shooting the bird of prey and then running it over with an all-terrain vehicle, the U.S. Department of Justice said in a statement.

A witness driving near Mill Swamp Road in Smithfield on March 13 reported that she saw an individual appear to run over a bald eagle with a red ATV, according to the statement of facts filed in the Eastern District of Virginia. The witness said she saw the individual drive in a circle and run over the eagle at least three to four times before he dragged it into the woods.

In an interview with agents from the United States Fish and Wildlife Service several days after the eagle was killed, Thacker expressed that "too much emphasis is placed on bald eagle protection because the birds are a menace," court documents state.

Yes I am sure he thinks they are a menace.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Virginia man pleads guilty to killing a bald eagle by shooting, running it over with an ATV

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/virginia-man-pleads-guilty-killing-bald-eagle-shooting-231404001--abc-news-topstories.html

Yes I am sure he thinks they are a menace.

He's probably a farmer, as they are often known to care more about livestock than the conservation of predators. Some quick googling shows Bald Eagles are a massive problem for sheep and goat farmers:

http://www.capitalpress.com/Livestock/20160811/eagles-kill-hundreds-of-lambs-each-year-but-it-goes-unreported

He's probably a farmer, as they are often known to care more about livestock than the conservation of predators. Some quick googling shows Bald Eagles are a massive problem for sheep and goat farmers:

http://www.capitalpress.com/Livestock/20160811/eagles-kill-hundreds-of-lambs-each-year-but-it-goes-unreported

there is no excuse for driving over it 3 or 4 times farmer or not

there is no excuse for driving over it 3 or 4 times farmer or not

I mean, if you're trying to kill it, then it makes sense if the gun shot alone didn't work and you're out of ammo.

You do realize, they are a bird of prey, and some ppl's livelihood might be their prey... I can see if someone is struggling to make a living and conservation laws are preventing them from doing so snap and take out a bald eagle.

Are they even protected anymore? I didn't look beyond wikipedia so obviously it's questionable, but that had had them removed from the endangered and protected lists years ago. If that's the case, could it be anything more than animal cruelty?

I would be lying if I said I never pulled up on a Hawk or two while out hunting. Never shot one, but, I've wanted to due to the fact how they've destroyed the rabbit, grouse, and turkey population on the property I hunt on upstate. I couldn't imagine being a farmer and having that issue with eagles.

I mean, if you're trying to kill it, then it makes sense if the gun shot alone didn't work and you're out of ammo.

You do realize, they are a bird of prey, and some ppl's livelihood might be their prey... I can see if someone is struggling to make a living and conservation laws are preventing them from doing so snap and take out a bald eagle.

the big issue here is that they are trying to revitalize the bald eagle population in the DC area.

I think I heard a co-worker mention that if you own land and an eagle habitats there - good luck trying do anything with the land.

Are they even protected anymore? I didn't look beyond wikipedia so obviously it's questionable, but that had had them removed from the endangered and protected lists years ago. If that's the case, could it be anything more than animal cruelty?

see above

2 years ago

three Bald Eagle Nests in D.C. For The First Time Since the 1940s ...

I could be wrong, but, even with the eagle not being endangered, it is still our national bird.

Imagine having an "attack eagle"? No one would ever mess with you again.

if i ever had lawn seats at a concert, i'd bring along the eagle to fly low circles around me so i could have some space from the dirties. if they came too close, it would go into attack mode. i may do a similar thing at the mall during the christmas season.