Article on why 2017 passing game can make giant leap forward

Here's a cute stat: 7 wins out of 16 games.

The team sucked. Including Tyrod Taylor.

LeSean McCoy and the O-line are the only ones who didn't suck.

Source: my own two !@#$ing eyes.

This ! Even your dog before the petsmart hookup could see the suckitude.

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened under a different OC is in the past. I'm interested to see what Dennison dials up. I see him getting TT out on rollouts, etc. to open the field up for him. I think our WR corps will be better this year than last, assuming Sammy is healthy. I hope we'll see Sammy used more on short screens, slants, etc rather than sending him down the sideline all the time.

To me it's up to Dennison to put TT in a position to make plays. Then it's up to TT to make them. We'll see if he's up to the challenge.

I think that the irony in all of this is that Tyrod is going to be the same pretty good starting QB that he has been for the last 2 years and the Bills will be around .500 again. I don't see him taking a big step up or a big step down. His gross numbers are going to go up because the attempts are going to increase. Those numbers are irrelevant anyways. If we use 35 throws a game (based on what Denver did last year) and apply his career averages it is: 349 for 560, 62.3% completion, 4,144 yards, 24 TD passes, 8 INTs. That is where I am setting my expectation (if he starts all 16 games). I expect about 35 attempts a game but I don't expect him to perform differently than who he has been.

Here's a cute stat: 7 wins out of 16 games.

The team sucked. Including Tyrod Taylor.

LeSean McCoy and the O-line are the only ones who didn't suck.

Source: my own two !@#$ing eyes.

There is a reason that evidence is more reliable than eyewitness testimony.

I think that the irony in all of this is that Tyrod is going to be the same pretty good starting QB that he has been for the last 2 years and the Bills will be around .500 again. I don't see him taking a big step up or a big step down. His gross numbers are going to go up because the attempts are going to increase. Those numbers are irrelevant anyways. If we use 35 throws a game (based on what Denver did last year) and apply his career averages it is: 349 for 560, 62.3% completion, 4,144 yards, 24 TD passes, 8 INTs. That is where I am setting my expectation (if he starts all 16 games). I expect about 35 attempts a game but I don't expect him to perform differently than who he has been.

this is by far the best way to approach. he's probably going to be the exact same guy, good or bad.

I think the TDs mark is about right, I see yards just below 4,000.... more in the 3,800 range and I think INTs will be higher. My Bold Prediction had them at 12 that feels about right to me... 10-12 INTs.

Even I have lost interest in this subject and am now content to let things play out instead of bickering and going back and forth with both sides completely dug in...it's truly pointless.

My only real hope is that this season definitively answers the question about Taylor and if we should keep him or move on.

I doubt I can withstand another offseason of Taylor homers vs Taylor critics.

This is where I'm at as well.

However, the back and forth bickering between people on opposite sides will continue until a Bills QB hoists the Lombardi trophy. I would guess that most Bills fans would rather have Andy Dalton at QB rather than Taylor. But even though he's made the playoffs several times, the Bengals haven't won any of those games, and he's usually scrutinized for it. I'm sure there are back and forth conversations on Bengals message boards from homers and critics.

It's been like this a few times in the last 17 years. We've had QB that, over the course of a couple of seasons, have shown us reason for optimism, and reason to be skeptical at the same time. That's where we're at with Taylor. Each individual situation may be different, but letting things play out is really the only thing left to do when every last topic and detail has been beaten to death by fans. There have been plenty of facts presented to support the case for both side with Taylor, and even though beauty is in the eye of the beholder sometimes, we now just need more evidence to make a better conclusion.

Yeah, if he makes it the whole season, I don't nearly see those stats.

Yeah, if he makes it the whole season, I don't nearly see those stats.

Then you are choosing to deviate from his career numbers. Maybe you see the attempts less than I do or an injury? Both of those are possible. I think that 35 attempts puts them at like 18-19. The sample size though is large enough that he will likely be in that general area. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Then you are choosing to deviate from his career numbers. Maybe you see the attempts less than I do or an injury? Both of those are possible. I think that 35 attempts puts them at like 18-19. The sample size though is large enough that he will likely be in that general area.

I was going to respond thinking he meant injury. Then I realized he likely thinks Tyrod will be benched at some point.

Good teams don't lose more games than they win.

That's some really groundbreaking analysis, John Madden.

It's the "team" aspect that you repeatedly fail to take into account. To you, nothing affects wins and losses except Tyrod Taylor. Show me a halfway decent defense, and I'll show you a playoff team.

Edited by MPT

It's the "team" aspect that you repeatedly fail to take into account. To you, nothing effects wins and losses except Tyrod Taylor. Show me a halfway decent defense, and I'll show you a playoff team.

His statement could actually be construed to mean that the Bills are a good team with Tyrod Taylor as the QB, since they don't lose more games than they win when he plays. Just looking for the positive spin here.

His statement could actually be construed to mean that the Bills are a good team with Tyrod Taylor as the QB, since they don't lose more games than they win when he plays. Just looking for the positive spin here.

Also true. Although he'd probably also blame Tyrod for the second loss to the Jets last year.

Week 12 I'd assume. Too many good qb's on the schedule that will pants him.

QB's don't "pants" other QB's. They "pants" defenses. Unless you also think Tyrod will be switching to cornerback?

Then you are choosing to deviate from his career numbers. Maybe you see the attempts less than I do or an injury? Both of those are possible. I think that 35 attempts puts them at like 18-19. The sample size though is large enough that he will likely be in that general area.

My personal view is that this offense will generally be about shorter passes than the Roman offense which took a lot of shots down the field and that is why I don't see the passing yardage going up in direct correlation with the attempts. Equally on INTs I think they will go up because of the situations in which we have to throw if there is a little regression in the run game. I don't necessarily think that my numbers would mean Tyrod has "regressed" I think they would be more a product of a different mindset and design to the offense. Think your extrapolation is a really helpful "checkpoint" in many ways Kirby when we begin to analyse what we see on the field next year.

It's the "team" aspect that you repeatedly fail to take into account. To you, nothing affects wins and losses except Tyrod Taylor. Show me a halfway decent defense, and I'll show you a playoff team.

Your comprehension skills are as good as Tyrod's decision-making skills.

I think the TDs mark is about right, I see yards just below 4,000.... more in the 3,800 range and I think INTs will be higher. My Bold Prediction had them at 12 that feels about right to me... 10-12 INTs.

Since I respect both of your opinions...

What does this mean to you then? Would you advocate a move on from him if he did this? Or do the numbers not matter so much as how he gets them (peaks and valleys vs. consistent performances)?