Hudson River Rail Tunnel - cost increase (Surprise!)

2010: Christie cancels tunnel construction, saying that the cost is ballooning far above the original $8,000,000,000 cost and he did not want the state to be liable for the cost overruns:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/nyregion/08tunnel.html

2017: Study says that the actual cost of the tunnel is $13,000,000,000...and rising:

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/06/nyregion/cost-of-hudson-tunnel-project.html

the media !@#$ing hates chris christie but he actually runs that state pretty damn good.

Not exactly.

They passed a multibillion dollar gas tax hike that was supposed to go toward roads. There's been no visible improvement in that regard, trust me.

Wasn't there an issue with Hurricane Sandy storm damage?

How's that rebuild coming along?

Christie is a Class A douchebag, and NJ is not a well run state with him in power.

Christie is a Class A douchebag, and NJ is not a well run state with him in power.

but but, they all say he does a great job!

i only evaluate this on the same scale of trump - if he pisses the media and everyone off he must be good.

sadly, nj needs more than a governor to fix it.

So the tunnel linking NJ to NY is 100% NJ's fiscal burden? What am I missing.

In September 2015 joint letter to Obama, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and New York Governor Andrew Cuomo offered to pay half of the project’s cost if the federal government picks up the rest, but did not identify how they would fund it.

So the tunnel linking NJ to NY is 100% NJ's fiscal burden? What am I missing.

No, that was the reason Christie rightfully walked away from the 2010 plan. But, typical for Christie he didn't renegotiate a better deal and sat on it for 6 years and the costs ballooned. The new plan is going to be split among feds, NY & NJ.

Penn Station serves 650,000 commuter rides/day and the facility is desperately underfunded and mismanaged. That's bigger than 2 states' population .