John Roberts' commencement speech to his son's 9th grade

Article

Video: (begins at 6:00)

Quote:

From time to time, in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly, so that you will come to know the value of justice. I hope you will suffer betrayal because that will teach you the importance of loyalty. Sorry to say, but I hope you will be lonely from time to time, so that you don't take friends for granted. I wish you bad luck again, from time to time, so that you will be conscious of the roll of chance in life, and understand that your success is not completely deserved, and the failure of others is not completely deserved either. And when you lose, as you will from time to time, I hope every now and then your opponent will gloat over your failure. It is a way for you to understand the importance of sportsmanship. I hope you will be ignored, so you know the importance of listening to others, and I hope you will have just enough pain to learn compassion."

Article

Video: (begins at 6:00)

Quote:

From time to time, in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly, so that you will come to know the value of justice. I hope you will suffer betrayal because that will teach you the importance of loyalty. Sorry to say, but I hope you will be lonely from time to time, so that you don't take friends for granted. I wish you bad luck again, from time to time, so that you will be conscious of the roll of chance in life, and understand that your success is not completely deserved, and the failure of others is not completely deserved either. And when you lose, as you will from time to time, I hope every now and then your opponent will gloat over your failure. It is a way for you to understand the importance of sportsmanship. I hope you will be ignored, so you know the importance of listening to others, and I hope you will have just enough pain to learn compassion."

Honestly, I think kids need to be given LESS by their parents.

That's what you took from that?? I only read the part GBID quoted in his post but that part actually says the exact opposite.

He wants the perfect amount of adversity. It's like the Goldilocks zone of overcoming hardship...gimme the dude who's been through the actual wringer.

He wants the perfect amount of adversity. It's like the Goldilocks zone of overcoming hardship...gimme the dude who's been through the actual wringer.

i would advise you re-read it and think on it as compared ot his views on everything

Does he hope that from time to time that someone will look the other way and call something that is not a tax a tax so that we can communize something?

Nice speech. Now how about living by it when you have the chance to do the right thing?

...I wish you bad luck again, from time to time, so that you will be conscious of the roll of chance in life, and understand that your success is not completely deserved,

I remember not too long ago when Barack was crucified around here for say something like that :)