Several wounded, a shooter dead at Bronx hospital

Followup

Doctor accused of sex harassment kills 1 at NYC hospital

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/doctor-accused-of-sex-harassment-kills-1-at-nyc-hospital/ar-BBDvmQk?li=AAggNb9&item=personalization_enabled%3afalse&ocid=spartanntp

NEW YORK — A doctor forced from a New York hospital because of sexual harassment accusations returned Friday with an assault rifle hidden under a lab coat and shot seven people, killing one woman in an attack that left several doctors fighting for their lives, authorities said.

The gunman, Dr. Henry Bello, fatally shot himself after trying to set himself on fire at Bronx Lebanon Hospital, they said. He staggered, bleeding, into a hallway where he collapsed and died with the rifle at his side, officials said.

Witnesses described a chaotic scene as gunfire erupted, spreading terror throughout the medical facility as employees locked themselves inside rooms and patients feared for their lives.

"I thought I was going to die," said Renaldo Del Villar, a patient who was in the third-floor emergency room getting treatment for a lower back injury.

As a doctor with such serious allegations against him, his reputation would be shot no matter what. Probably why they felt desparate and became unhinged.

Seems very dangerous to paint people into a corner like this. Is there a safer way to render allegations, like removing security clearance during investigation?

I am in no way justifying such a senseless crime... Just trying to wrap my brain around it. Tragic and sad.