Incredible story about U of Roch football player

YoloinOhio

This story from ESPN Outside the Lines is harrowing.

@jfowlerESPN

The most tragic case youll read on star players getting preferential treatment. This is remarkably well-told.

OUTSIDE THE LINES

I Just Wanted To Survive

A college football player thought he and a friend were going to meet up with two women. Instead, they were abducted and tortured for 40 hours -- all because of a teammate.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/19760676/university-rochester-football-player-kidnapped-tortured-40-hours

I got this sent to me yesterday and couldn't stop reading. I'm shocked I had never heard of this before.

What a crazy story.

It made local news but the details and severity of the incident did not. I had no idea it was so bad. The news at the time sounded like they were roughed up and effectively held for a day while their bank accounts were emptied. It was reported more like a mugging than a torture.

It made local news but the details and severity of the incident did not. I had no idea it was so bad. The news at the time sounded like they were roughed up and effectively held for a day while their bank accounts were emptied. It was reported more like a mugging than a torture.

This seems to be an example of a college SUCCESFULLY keeping this somewhat quiet. I have to imagine there were political forces at play.

This seems to be an example of a college SUCCESFULLY keeping this somewhat quiet. I have to imagine there were political forces at play.

UofR has been very effective in keeping incidents out of the headlines. Except for the kid who was stabbed to death at a frat party. And the time a dead cat was found nailed to a frat house door.

UofR has been very effective in keeping incidents out of the headlines. Except for the kid who was stabbed to death at a frat party. And the time a dead cat was found nailed to a frat house door.

yikes. Penn State had a very bad story of a kid dying at a frat party this year too - lots of bad publicity

Bad things happen all over. Best to keep yourself ready for all situations and love the ones you're with.

This incident plays out dozens of times a day. So thankful for outside the lines to do this stellar story and continue to slander communities.

Well done

Bad things happen all over. Best to keep yourself ready for all situations and love the ones you're with.

This incident plays out dozens of times a day. So thankful for outside the lines to do this stellar story and continue to slander communities.

Well done

Personally I thought it was a pretty crazy story. You make it sound like it's normal for people to be kidnapped and tortured. In reality it was a very strange story.

I saw this on my local news everyday. So many of the details that I just learned were left out. No mention was ever made of ties to drug dealers being an aspect of the crime. It is disgusting how morally bankrupt these universities have all become. They claim to exist for the greater good of mankind. In reality the bottom line always comes first. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Personally I thought it was a pretty crazy story. You make it sound like it's normal for people to be kidnapped and tortured. In reality it was a very strange story.

I saw this on my local news everyday. So many of the details that I just learned were left out. No mention was ever made of ties to drug dealers being an aspect of the crime. It is disgusting how morally bankrupt these universities have all become. They claim to exist for the greater good of mankind. In reality the bottom line always comes first.

its not normal. but for the show to selectively choose this story is difficult and generally unbias.

it is a crazy story and stupid. there is no excuse for it or debating it is a bad thing. i do however, question the motives of a tv show like this or dateline or most any show to pull a story up for investigation other than titillation and ratings.

stupid **** happens on college campus' all the time. the news coverage is easily debatable. cuse was tarred and feathered before there was proof and paid a big cost. the majority punished at penn state had nothing to do with the crime. the kid in stanford got lynched in the media for a lack of integrity by the media to fully explain the story. the gang rape in the ohio high school was a blip on the radar and ignored, despite ruining the girls whole young life. no one is talking aout the western kentucky players under investigation right now. duke lacrosse did absolutely nothing wrong and was destroyed by the media and a political agenda by a pos and subsequently the public.

the stories pushed by the media, the information passed out nationally and how news is made is an art these days

I'm pretty sure that the U of R and their hospital, Strong Memorial are the biggest employer in Rochester. That may have something to do with it.

I remember the story as it went down but had no idea the extent of how bad it was.

I'm pretty sure that the U of R and their hospital, Strong Memorial are the biggest employer in Rochester. That may have something to do with it.

I remember the story as it went down but had no idea the extent of how bad it was.

what does making something so terrible front page news accomplish?

is the school liable for this entirely? partially? even a tiny bit? did the school make this happen?

why do we need to mention that this kid was a football player for a school that had next to nothing to do with the story other than the victim?

the smith kid was a troubled you whom wanted to play football and go to college - if they denied him they would be denying the chance for an education of an at risk kid who could turn his life around etc etc balblablablaullshit.

the kallias kid was involved with drug dealers - they kind of glance over that. but this is new york and weed is tolerant there and i am the only person here and one of 4 i've met in the last 18 months that have never smoked it and consider it as stupid as justin bieber.

when you keep idiots for company you get the result of those idiots. when you don't protect yourself from the choices you make - including going to meet a random stranger from facebook - you can make a gravely mistake. and of course i do. i show up at womens houses for tinder dates at least once a month but i vet them and do a tremendous amount of leg work for the hour i am going to spend there.

this story has nothing to do with u of r - only speculation that they may have known their student athletes party like 90% of every other student athlete in the world. i was once a student athlete at a d1 school, i saw plenty but nothing egregious.

this story is tragic but it is an entirely bias piece which will hurt rochester more than it will help. but, espn is awesome and behind the lines is considered real journalism these days with nooo agenda.

sorry, i just don't care about this story. wait, no i'm not. whilst it is terrible. whilst it is unfortunate and i'd never wish it on anyone; this story so clearly displays tragedy and bias.

what does making something so terrible front page news accomplish? Generally things that happen in a community including crime, despite how gruesome it is, is considered news

is the school liable for this entirely? partially? even a tiny bit? did the school make this happen? Seems that everyone knew he was dealing drugs but because he was the "star" player it wasn't made an issue. If they had thrown his *** off the team this likely wouldn't have happened

why do we need to mention that this kid was a football player for a school that had next to nothing to do with the story other than the victim? Because the actions of his teammate led to what happened

the smith kid was a troubled you whom wanted to play football and go to college - if they denied him they would be denying the chance for an education of an at risk kid who could turn his life around etc etc balblablablaullshit. Apparently the Smith kid preferred to sell drugs

the kallias kid was involved with drug dealers - they kind of glance over that. but this is new york and weed is tolerant there and i am the only person here and one of 4 i've met in the last 18 months that have never smoked it and consider it as stupid as justin bieber. The Kallias kid was an innocent bystander. Smith broke into his teammates dorm while he was away, the robbery that took place was the result of Smith, which pissed off the scumbags that committed this horrible crime and all they knew was which dorm room it took place in to carry out their revenge on. The criminals then enticed the resident of the room with women with which the guy got Kallias to go with them.

when you keep idiots for company you get the result of those idiots. when you don't protect yourself from the choices you make - including going to meet a random stranger from facebook - you can make a gravely mistake. and of course i do. i show up at womens houses for tinder dates at least once a month but i vet them and do a tremendous amount of leg work for the hour i am going to spend there.

this story has nothing to do with u of r - only speculation that they may have known their student athletes party like 90% of every other student athlete in the world. i was once a student athlete at a d1 school, i saw plenty but nothing egregious. The original crime took place on school grounds and the University had to know what happened as they had the blood in that dorm room cleaned up. I'm sure the police informed the University about the crime, plus an assistant coach bailed Smith out of jail.

this story is tragic but it is an entirely bias piece which will hurt rochester more than it will help. but, espn is awesome and behind the lines is considered real journalism these days with nooo agenda. This story won't hurt Rochester or the University a bit, it can however alert people to be a little more careful because this crap doesn't just happen in big cities.

sorry, i just don't care about this story. wait, no i'm not. whilst it is terrible. whilst it is unfortunate and i'd never wish it on anyone; this story so clearly displays tragedy and bias. Thankfully the "fake media" doesn't ask for JBoyst's opinion on what stories to cover or we might just get newspapers with nothing but advertisements in them.

what does making something so terrible front page news accomplish?

is the school liable for this entirely? partially? even a tiny bit? did the school make this happen?

why do we need to mention that this kid was a football player for a school that had next to nothing to do with the story other than the victim?

the smith kid was a troubled you whom wanted to play football and go to college - if they denied him they would be denying the chance for an education of an at risk kid who could turn his life around etc etc balblablablaullshit.

the kallias kid was involved with drug dealers - they kind of glance over that. but this is new york and weed is tolerant there and i am the only person here and one of 4 i've met in the last 18 months that have never smoked it and consider it as stupid as justin bieber.

this story has nothing to do with u of r - only speculation that they may have known their student athletes party like 90% of every other student athlete in the world. i was once a student athlete at a d1 school, i saw plenty but nothing egregious.

this story is tragic but it is an entirely bias piece which will hurt rochester more than it will help. but, espn is awesome and behind the lines is considered real journalism these days with nooo agenda.

sorry, i just don't care about this story. wait, no i'm not. whilst it is terrible. whilst it is unfortunate and i'd never wish it on anyone; this story so clearly displays tragedy and bias.

If you don't care about the story that is perfectly ok. I also greatly appreciated your well thought out response to my previous post. The issue that some of us have is with the media selectively airing the truth. The story was plastered all over Rochester media, yet many details were selectively left out. There were obvious motives for doing so. Of course it would have dragged the name U of R through the ringer, but when else does the media care about dragging names through the muck? They don't. Lastly you seemed concerned about Rochester getting a bad name. Any one with half a brain already knows that Rochester along with many other American cities have severe problems. Rochester gives itself a bad name everyday the news airs. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Cool thing is they can all be the gang bangers they aspired to be, behind bars. Smith should have got more time, I'm sure he will once he gets outs and commits another crime.

The Strickland kid takes the cake. He is torturing and holding someone hostage while robbing his ATM card and shows his face to the ATM, and drags on the torture for nearly two days, and buys a 800 dollar jacket but 30'dollar jeans from Marshals? Always spend more on jeans they keep your ass comfortable. Clearly a total fool.

The kid that got captured should have been a little smarter,

Kitty doesn't come chasing, then pick you up and drive you off to the ghetto and then casually stroll up into a crackhouse.

A wide range of stupidity and evil at its finest. I hope those scum bags are enjoying the prison sex.

thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

it looks like we will have some disagreements on this, but i'll respond a little more.

what does making something so terrible front page news accomplish? Generally things that happen in a community including crime, despite how gruesome it is, is considered news

is the school liable for this entirely? partially? even a tiny bit? did the school make this happen? Seems that everyone knew he was dealing drugs but because he was the "star" player it wasn't made an issue. If they had thrown his *** off the team this likely wouldn't have happened

why do we need to mention that this kid was a football player for a school that had next to nothing to do with the story other than the victim? Because the actions of his teammate led to what happened

the smith kid was a troubled you whom wanted to play football and go to college - if they denied him they would be denying the chance for an education of an at risk kid who could turn his life around etc etc balblablablaullshit. Apparently the Smith kid preferred to sell drugs

the kallias kid was involved with drug dealers - they kind of glance over that. but this is new york and weed is tolerant there and i am the only person here and one of 4 i've met in the last 18 months that have never smoked it and consider it as stupid as justin bieber. The Kallias kid was an innocent bystander. Smith broke into his teammates dorm while he was away, the robbery that took place was the result of Smith, which pissed off the scumbags that committed this horrible crime and all they knew was which dorm room it took place in to carry out their revenge on. The criminals then enticed the resident of the room with women with which the guy got Kallias to go with them.

this story has nothing to do with u of r - only speculation that they may have known their student athletes party like 90% of every other student athlete in the world. i was once a student athlete at a d1 school, i saw plenty but nothing egregious. The original crime took place on school grounds and the University had to know what happened as they had the blood in that dorm room cleaned up. I'm sure the police informed the University about the crime, plus an assistant coach bailed Smith out of jail.

this story is tragic but it is an entirely bias piece which will hurt rochester more than it will help. but, espn is awesome and behind the lines is considered real journalism these days with nooo agenda. This story won't hurt Rochester or the University a bit, it can however alert people to be a little more careful because this crap doesn't just happen in big cities.

sorry, i just don't care about this story. wait, no i'm not. whilst it is terrible. whilst it is unfortunate and i'd never wish it on anyone; this story so clearly displays tragedy and bias. Thankfully the "fake media" doesn't ask for JBoyst's opinion on what stories to cover or we might just get newspapers with nothing but advertisements in them.

kallias kept poor company and made poor decisions to be suckered in to this honey pot. it doesn't take away what the smith did.

the speculation that the team knew what smith was doing is just that, speculation. if he would have got kicked out of school on speculation he would and could have filed a lawsuit for a discriminatory practice. if uor would stop recruiting at risk youths there would be a great deal backlash and that is what the school is there - recruit youngsters for higher education.

you chose the wording fake media, which i did not use. this was a very telling response which aligns with your method of thought in your retort giving one last case of evidentiary bias. this story could have been done on 100 campus' this year alone and that doesn't make it right for coverage. it's salacious story draws in the mind because it is sick, disgusting and that draws us in because we humans are messed up. this story has it all - sports and celebrity, favoritism and possible conspiracy - not to mention the whole privileged class against the rest! without anything more than conjecture the story slams the football team, without anything more a few thoughts the univ of roch is indicted on this. your decision to call this fake news is not my choice. my choice was bias because it was unprofessional. this is no different than the rolling stone article on uva or the stanford swimmer case. proper journalism allows both sides an adequate response from both sides in such cases to form an unbias and usnwayed opinion

If you don't care about the story that is perfectly ok. I also greatly appreciated your well thought out response to my previous post. The issue that some of us have is with the media selectively airing the truth. The story was plastered all over Rochester media, yet many details were selectively left out. There were obvious motives for doing so. Of course it would have dragged the name U of R through the ringer, but when else does the media care about dragging names through the muck? They don't. Lastly you seemed concerned about Rochester getting a bad name. Any one with half a brain already knows that Rochester along with many other American cities have severe problems. Rochester gives itself a bad name everyday the news airs.

what is the severe problems? i don't follow - your walking to a conclusion without stating it doesn't make sense to me because i have half a brain. deprderpderp im stupid oifjaps98dasdf

your decision to say there were motives not to say the put 3 fingers in his rectum or whatever details you wanted have absolutely no point for the story - the public doesn't need to know what happened, it is inconsequential. but maybe those with a full brain get aroused by such details or care more to know the twisted his nipples or gave him an atomic wedgy. those with half a brain don't care.

again i'll start slow because i know your full brain is full so i'll ask this question before the next question to allow your amazing intellect to process it slowly:

what is the severe problem in american cities? bonus points if you can give an answer on how this can be fixed - but i don't want to overtax your full brain. please use small words and speak slowly so i can follow.

thanks for taking the time to reply guys.

it looks like we will have some disagreements on this, but i'll respond a little more.

kallias kept poor company and made poor decisions to be suckered in to this honey pot. it doesn't take away what the smith did.

the speculation that the team knew what smith was doing is just that, speculation. if he would have got kicked out of school on speculation he would and could have filed a lawsuit for a discriminatory practice. if uor would stop recruiting at risk youths there would be a great deal backlash and that is what the school is there - recruit youngsters for higher education.

you chose the wording fake media, which i did not use. this was a very telling response which aligns with your method of thought in your retort giving one last case of evidentiary bias. this story could have been done on 100 campus' this year alone and that doesn't make it right for coverage. it's salacious story draws in the mind because it is sick, disgusting and that draws us in because we humans are messed up. this story has it all - sports and celebrity, favoritism and possible conspiracy - not to mention the whole privileged class against the rest! without anything more than conjecture the story slams the football team, without anything more a few thoughts the univ of roch is indicted on this. your decision to call this fake news is not my choice. my choice was bias because it was unprofessional. this is no different than the rolling stone article on uva or the stanford swimmer case. proper journalism allows both sides an adequate response from both sides in such cases to form an unbias and usnwayed opinion

what is the severe problems? i don't follow - your walking to a conclusion without stating it doesn't make sense to me because i have half a brain. deprderpderp im stupid oifjaps98dasdf

your decision to say there were motives not to say the put 3 fingers in his rectum or whatever details you wanted have absolutely no point for the story - the public doesn't need to know what happened, it is inconsequential. but maybe those with a full brain get aroused by such details or care more to know the twisted his nipples or gave him an atomic wedgy. those with half a brain don't care.

again i'll start slow because i know your full brain is full so i'll ask this question before the next question to allow your amazing intellect to process it slowly:

what is the severe problem in american cities? bonus points if you can give an answer on how this can be fixed - but i don't want to overtax your full brain. please use small words and speak slowly so i can follow.

I think you misinterpreted what I said. I never meant to say that you have "half a brain". I meant that the media doesn't need to hide details to protect the city and/or U of R. Anyone with intelligence already knows that the city isn't a nice place. I didn't say that the news media needed to get into details of the torture. I will say that it's odd they neglected to mention links to drugs through this Smith character. It's obvious to me that someone helped keep those details quiet.

Secondly, I never claimed to be of superior intelligence. I was simply responding to your claim that this story was bad publicity for Rochester. Once again, anyone with a brain knows that many American inter cities aren't particularly safe places. Violence and crime are the severe problems in American cities that I was speaking of. This has been a problem for many years. I don't think that this story is going to harm Rochester a great deal. Everyone knows that nasty things happen in the city everyday. Why don't you live in the inner city?

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5