Have you ever witnessed a major crime in person?

If you're in law enforcement, you wouldn't be eligible as this is your career.

I myself have never seen anything major outside of seeing people arrested for drunken bar fights or someone getting caught shoplifting. I've never had one against mess well but know a few that have seen and were the victim.

A friend of mine was in a restaurant when it was robbed at gun point. He was just eating with his wife and baby and a guy in a ski mask came in with a shotgun. He yelled at everyone to sit still while the Manager emptied out the register. The robber left immediately after.

Another friend of mine was robbed at the ATM. He never saw the guy during the robbery. He was withdrawing cash late at night and a guy came from behind him and stuck a gun against the back of the head. Told him to empty his account. He only had a $200 limit on his withdrawal so that's all the thief got. Handed it to him and the guy ran.

This last one, it's wasn't technically witnessing but a friend of mine went hunting and started early when it was still dark. Said he was shining a flashlight to be able to see walking through the woods. As he was walking, he shined the light directly on the face of a dead woman...said it scared him because her eyes were still open. She was raped and strangled.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know. One time going to get smokes with a friend near Sister's Hospital/Canisius. We start walking into the corner convenience store and some Dude is holding it up... Waving a knife demanding we come in and a person in the store leave. We were about 30 feet away, stopped in our tracks, took two steps back and cautiously left while keeping our eyes in the back of our heads as we proceeded back to Main Street.

I am not sure whatever happened, in college before cell phones. Let's just say, friend got no smokes that night. Of course, I don't smoke. I tagged along because also of course, we were in the ghetto. Support can come in numbers, I am a bigger guy, friend smaller. No reason to get jumped on Main back in the day.

Not sure how major that is, but becoming a hostage has never been on my bucket list. ;-) Okay, let's rethink that last statement... Is she pretty and wants to rip my clothes off? I might be game then. ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

During breaks from college, I was working collecting money for a furniture store on Lyell Ave in Rochester, and witnessed and execution style murder in front of a barber shop while I was driving by. We saw a guy get out of the passenger seat of a car, walk up to a man who was standing near the doorway of the barber shop, and shoot him right in the face. Hearing gun shots ring off in that neighborhood was very common. Seeing that whole thing play out in front of my eyes was deeply disturbing. They police caught the shooter within hours, BTW. Drug/gang related homicide.

Does committing them count?

LoL... A wrist rocket and un-burnished beads (ball bearings) as ammo creates a hell of a lot damage. If ever caught, they would have thrown the book @ the perps!

Just saying... Got a friend of a friend who knows a friend. ;-)

During breaks from college, I was working collecting money for a furniture store on Lyell Ave in Rochester, and witnessed and execution style murder in front of a barber shop while I was driving by. We saw a guy get out of the passenger seat of a car, walk up to a man who was standing near the doorway of the barber shop, and shoot him right in the face. Hearing gun shots ring off in that neighborhood was very common. Seeing that whole thing play out in front of my eyes was deeply disturbing. They police caught the shooter within hours, BTW. Drug/gang related homicide.

Wow! Did you ever turn States witness? Or do the honorable thing like we did, and just slink away. ? :-)

A few years ago, walking through a shopping plaza parking lot I hear glass breaking, and look towards the sound. Two guys had broken a car window, but when they saw me they stopped. Shock of the moment I didn't know what to do so I said "that's not nice" and kept walking. They went back to stealing someone's bag out of the car. I hind sight, I was far enough away from them and close enough to my car that I could have called 911 or at least got their picture on my phone for authorities.

Last year, week of Thanksgiving, I'm at Home Depot and assisted in the take down of a shoplifter and their accomplice in the parking lot. It was one of those weeks where nothing seemed to be going right, and when you hear some woman yelling "help" and "stop him", you just jump into action. So being able to help out was the uplift I needed.

Not witnessed, but heard. Years ago, sitting at home one quiet Sunday morning, reading the newspaper, I heard what sounded like gunshots, around 9am. Next day or maybe two days later, it's in the paper there was a shooting about a block away from our house.

I can't believe I forgot about his.

When I was playing baseball in college, we were rained out for a game. We were playing a school in Florida called Stetson in Deland. Pretty good baseball school, generally to 25 and Chipper Jones dad was the hitting coach.

Anywho, we were in our hotel room and heard a lady screaming. We were on the 2nd floor and saw a man ripping a purse out of the hands of an old lady. He got it from her and then pushed her down. 4 of us ran after him. I was the fastest of the bunch and got to the guy first. He fell when he was running and I jumped on top of him.

After being on top of him for about 5 minutes, I didn't want to touch him anymore. He looked like an obvious druggie and was dirty. I got up and our catcher named Travis then got on him and started kneeing him (he was a steroid user). Cops finally arrive and Travis took all the credit. He said he was running, dove at the guys legs and took him down. I just rolled my eyes.

We got on the bus and Travis started telling the story and making up a bunch of BS to look cool. The two other guys in our hotel room who witnessed it and could back me up on what happened. I didn't care about the accolades so I didn't want to get too much into it but I told him it's pretty ****** that you're trying to take all the credit for this and even lie to make yourself sound better. He said "Fine, we got there at the same time and equally took down criminal". I just shook my head.

We made Sportscenter and got a Honorary Pin from the President of our college.

When I was in college I was working at convenience store & one Saturday night a guy came in pulled a gun on me & held me up. I just gave him the cash & he left. After I got done getting interviewed by the cops I met my friends at the bar & told them about it. Of course the wise asses that they were the next day when they knew I was working they came in with panty hoses over their heads with plastic guns & acted like they were holding up the store. Scared the crap out of me. They pulled off the panty hose & starting laughing their asses off.

We went to the Bank of America during the morning of the aftermath of the Tinley Park, Lane Bryant mass murders. Traffic was a mess. So sad. Didn't know what was happening at time:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Bryant_shooting

When I was in college I was working at convenience store & one Saturday night a guy came in pulled a gun on me & held me up. I just gave him the cash & he left. After I got done getting interviewed by the cops I met my friends at the bar & told them about it. Of course the wise asses that they were the next day when they knew I was working they came in with panty hoses over their heads with plastic guns & acted like they were holding up the store. Scared the crap out of me. They pulled off the panty hose & starting laughing their asses off.

I would have had them arrested... Then strip searched. Teach them a dirty lesson:

"He who laughs last, lasts!"

We went to the Bank of America during the morning of the aftermath of the Tinley Park, Lane Bryant mass murders. Traffic was a mess. So sad. Didn't know what was happening at time:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Bryant_shooting

I would have had them arrested... Then strip searched. Teach them a dirty lesson:

"He who laughs last, lasts!"

Ah they were my roommates so it would of been kind of awkward if I had them arrested. It is all good, we still laugh about it twenty years later whenever we get together. I quit that job 2 days later, figuring my life is worth much more than the $4 an hour they were paying me at the time.

I didn't witness but it happened right outside my apartment window and I heard it all.

While living in Venice, CA there was a guy who was doing a drug deal on the corner where my apartment was. The drug dealer was on the corner and the buyer was in a car... something happened and the dealer shot at the guy in the car, who then made it about a 1/4 down the street before he realised he was shot and bleeding and stopped his car. Police brought in a helicopter to find the drug dealer who took off on foot. It was crazy.

If you're in law enforcement, you wouldn't be eligible as this is your career.

I myself have never seen anything major outside of seeing people arrested for drunken bar fights or someone getting caught shoplifting. I've never had one against mess well but know a few that have seen and were the victim.

A friend of mine was in a restaurant when it was robbed at gun point. He was just eating with his wife and baby and a guy in a ski mask came in with a shotgun. He yelled at everyone to sit still while the Manager emptied out the register. The robber left immediately after.

Another friend of mine was robbed at the ATM. He never saw the guy during the robbery. He was withdrawing cash late at night and a guy came from behind him and stuck a gun against the back of the head. Told him to empty his account. He only had a $200 limit on his withdrawal so that's all the thief got. Handed it to him and the guy ran.

This last one, it's wasn't technically witnessing but a friend of mine went hunting and started early when it was still dark. Said he was shining a flashlight to be able to see walking through the woods. As he was walking, he shined the light directly on the face of a dead woman...said it scared him because her eyes were still open. She was raped and strangled.

I am willing to bet that many of the people who read this thread who were as close as a person can get to a major crime aren't going to talk about it in public on this forum.

I have enjoyed the stories people have already reported on here though.

Dude, you seriously needed to get even with those bastards somehow. Probably too late now after too many years. But man, that was a below the belt joke to pull. Holy Jesus.